“Great location, had some issues, staff made it right”

Holiday Inn San Francisco Fishermans Wharf
Ranked #88 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 13, 2013

The location of this hotel can't be beat, leaving you within walking distance of everything along the wharf. The AC wasn't working in the first room we were given and while I was waiting for a maintenance man to come and fix it I noticed the ceiling and soffit over the bed was covered in dark gray dust; the kind that collects on a popcorn ceiling from the AC vents. It was obvious that wasn't something checked by the cleaning staff or ever cleaned. So I called the desk and asked for a different room. They moved us fairly quickly and even offered a bellman to help us move our things.

Parking is ridiculously priced at $40 per day plus tax. I simply cannot fathom any hotel also charging a paying guest a fee to park their car while they stay. After discussing our room issues with the night manager he thanked me for bringing the issues to his attention and offered to comp one day of our parking fees to make it right. I appreciated what appeared to be genuine concern for his guests and his willingness to do something to make up for it. Notwithstanding that, when we checked out the following day the parking fees were still on our bill forcing me to discuss the issues all over again with a different manager. She was apologetic but wasn't eager to followup on the remuneration the other manager had promised us. She eventually relented and comped our parking for both days.

I would stay there again because the location really can't be beaten, but I wouldn't pick up my rental car until I am ready to travel on to my next destination to avoid the ridiculous parking fees.

Room Tip: Don't bring a car if you can help it. Parking charges are outrageous.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
JamesSanFrancisco, Manager at Holiday Inn San Francisco Fishermans Wharf, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Dear Eric,

I am very happy to hear that the staff responded quickly with a positive resolution when you brought up a concern. I am very sorry to hear about the confusion at checked but I am glad that it was resolved to our satisfaction.

I will share this feedback with the staff. Please always keep us in mind when traveling to San Francisco. If you have additional comments or need assistance booking our hotel, please feel free to contact either myself or the Manager on Duty.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn San Francisco Fishermans Wharf

Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed here several times, you can't beat the location. They lost points this time! This was a birthday trip. A family member arranged to have a gift delivered to the hotel and placed in our room prior to arrival. Nothing was there. I check with the front desk several times during the day and was told nothing was delivered . The sender contacted the place where she bought the gift and was told it hD been delivered to the hotel 2 hours prior to our arrival. She called the hotel the next day to complain and was told again no deliveries. She tell him she had the receipt that it was delivered at 1:00 the previous day and gave him the name of the person who signed for it. He found it. We were then called saying we had a delivery at the front desk. They did not offer to deliver it and no apologies what so ever were offered. Horrible customer service. I wonder just how many times thus happens? What if we were not expecting it? We would have never known.

• Stayed: October 2013

Good Day,

I would to sincerely apologize for the inconvenience for not receiving your birthday gift on time. It's unacceptable for the front line not follow up and assisting you in finding the gift. It's also unacceptable that the gift was not delivered to you when found. Please know that I will address this with the front line. I take pride in the service that our front staff provide and we failed.

I hope this event does not deter you from returning again. Your feedback is valuable to us. Please feel free to contact wither myself or the Manager on Duty with any additional comments.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Was a bit wary after reading some reviews and when we had to do the trek to the annexe was not amused!!! However, was grateful for the peace and quiet, the room was clean and the chamber maid from Macau was delight to see every morning, so cheery and efficient. The hotel is in a good position so near to the Wharf and and all it offers.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Good Day,

It's wonderful to hear that you had a wonderful and peaceful visit staying at our Wharf building. If you are looking for a clean, quiet, restful night and closer to Fisherman's wharf, then ask for a room at our Wharf building.

I will share this wonderful comment with our staff. Please always keep us in mind when travelling to San Francisco. If you have any additional comments, please do not hesitate to contact me or the Manager on Duty.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Stayed in the (wharf?) building and it looked a bit aged but was not bad. It was really central, pier 39 is about 10 min walk away.
The dennys downstairs is a brilliant marketing idea, i think everyone ate there at least once and it was so convenient as it was 24 hours. There were a lot of restaurants and even 1 pub just 1-2 blocks away. The rooms were big, the ac was one of the comfortable climate control ones not the over vented ones that leave you feeling like you have a cold after 2 days. I liked the added security of the keycard operated lifts. The cleaning/ housekeeping staff were very nice and efficient and always seemed to be around.Cant really say the same for the reception staff who often looked bored. The pool was nice looking but not heated(!) so was always empty, the cute little gym was really only good for one party if another group came in it became a bit awkward.
The room service menu was a bit of a joke but not really a problem because you are in a central location with good tram service and the dennys and coffee shops in the hotels are available.
overall id recommend the HI and wud stay there again if i had to come bk to SF.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Thank hols.away

Good Day,

I am very excited to hear that you had a wonderful visit with us. We are scheduled to have some work done in our rooms this coming November so I hope you will give us another opportunity to show case the changes we are making. I am glad you enjoyed the swimming pool.

I will share this wonderful comment with the staff and Management of the hotel. Pleas always keep us in mind when traveling to San Francisco. If you have any additional comments, please do not hesitate to contact either myself or the Manager on Duty.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

Our most recent visit was as usual a very pleasant one. Its not the cheapest hotel but in my opinion is the best value. King size rooms in the main building are very comfortable - worth paying more for over the rooms in the second building over the road with two doubles. Can be noisy in the second building with early morning bin collections but the main building has always been fine.
Breakfast in the hotel restaurant is quite expensive but a good selection.

Room Tip: Go for a king size room in the main building - these are generally quieter and more comfortable.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Good Day,

Thank you for returning and always keeping us in mind when travelling to San Francisco. I am happy to hear that we are able to accommodate you at our Columbus building. Some of our return guest actually prefer the Wharf building because it's much quieter than the Columbus building. I am very happy that you came back to visit us again and look forward to more visits from you. Please feel free to contact either myself or Manager on Duty with any additional comments.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

This is a lovely option if you decide to stay in Fisherman's Wharf. It's walking distance to the tourist places around. The cable car stop is a 10 minutes walk. The staff at the reception and the travel desk is very friendly. They guided us very well through the stay. I recommend this place for couples,families, group of girls like us who just wanted to get a feel of San Francisco. The hotel doesn't boast of great rooms or a good restaurant however it's the location that one pays such a high price for. The rooms are clean but very basic. Ghirardelli square is just a 10 minutes walk. The embarcadero, pier 39, restaurants along the wharf are just at a 5 minutes walking distance.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Good Day,

Thank you very much for the wonderful compliment about the location of the hotel. I am also happy to hear that you approved of the cleanliness of our rooms. I will share this wonderful comment with our cleaning staff. Please always keep us in mind when travelling to San Francisco. If you have additional comments, please feel free to contact either myself or the Manager on Duty.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

A friend and I wanted a short getta-away and decided on S.F. After reading all of the reviews and considering prices and location, we decided on Holiday Inn San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf. We found it to be more than we expected. The front desk staff was very welcoming, helpful and friendly.
Our room was very clean and comfortable with housekeeping doing an excellent job. The location was ideal for sightseeing and using public transportation. The price was very reasonable for being so close to everything. We took advantage of the free computer access for checking e-mail, sightseeing research and booking tours. I would stay there again. We did find that the concierge was not as helpful as we would have expected. Maybe he was really busy. There were alot of guests in the lobby.

Room Tip: Our room was facing toward the front of the hotel, looking over the pool on the second floor. It wa...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
stephen l, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn San Francisco Fishermans Wharf, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2013

Thank you for staying with us at the Holiday Inn Fisherman Wharf San Francisco Marlowe M and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay here with us. Our front desk staff and housekeeping staff always does an excellent job. We will make sure that our concierge staff is aware of the feedback as well regarding the service. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you next time again in San Francisco.

Holiday Inn Fisherman Wharf Fisherman Wharf Management team