“great location and clean.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Holiday Inn San Francisco Fishermans Wharf
Ranked #92 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
England, United Kingdom
“great location and clean.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

We stayed earlier this year and was very happy.
Hotel in amazing location walk round the corner and your on the main bit. Rooms were huge and clean. 2 great double beds. Staff helpful and friendly. Would stay again

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
stephen l, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn San Francisco Fishermans Wharf, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Thank you for staying with us at the Holiday Inn Fisherman Wharf San Francisco samshep 13 and we were happy you enjoyed your stay earlier this year. We strive best for all our staff to be friendly, helpful and provide great customer service. We look forward to seeing you again next time when you visit San Francisco.

Holiday Inn Fisherman Wharf Management Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (662)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

Great hotel not too badly priced. Rooms are a bit noisy but still slept we'll as beds are comfortable.
The hotel is in a great location and only a block away from the wharf center and within walking distance of pier 39 which has good places to eat and a great variety.
Felt safe in this area while walking around and didn't have any troubles finding anything in this area.
Close to plenty of shopping and also restaurants. Recommend if you are in this area to stay at this hotel. We stayed in the main building but there is another part of this hotel located across the road which is also in a great location.
Has a laundry located in the hotel which came in handy as we stayed for 4 days recommend getting a shuttle to service this area as is a fair distance from the international airport. The room is neat and tidy and not too outdated but would stay again if I went back to San Fran.
Only a short walk to the cable car to go to the city which was easy to locate and use to get to the city area.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in the main building.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Daniel J, Manager at Holiday Inn San Francisco Fishermans Wharf, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Hello Ozzytraveller235,

Thank you so much for the kind words in your post as well as staying with us. I am so happy you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon at the Holiday Inn.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

Very expensive for what it offers.
Front desk personnel looked like robots.
Very good location on the wharf,
It's the only positive side of this hotel.
I spent US 1.300 for a 3 night stay, not whorth it.

• Stayed September 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Hello Acls1965,

I am so sorry you did not find your stay wonderful. I do hope you reach out to me in order to discuss how we could have better served you. Until then safe travels and warm regards.

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

We travelled for 2 weeks in California and to be honest, I was worried about this accommodation the most after the mixed reviews on trip advisor. Especially the comments about the bed bothered me. I have to tell you dope tat my 3 night stat was exceptional. Front of house staff were professional and courteous, concierge was helpful with luggage and check in was relaxed and welcoming. The room was superb (king bed) and I slept the best in my time so far in California. The location is great nod close to pier 39 with everything you need. Noise levels - you are right on the wharf people so balance it out!! We didn't find it too bad at all and I'm a light sleeper. Would recommend this as a great place to stay - cannot fault it

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pjstarfish
Pjstarfish,

Thanks so much for the kind review and for staying with us. I am glad you found our beds so comfortable that you were able to have the best sleep in California. I take that as high praise. Again thank you so much and hope to see you soon.

Dan
Troy, OH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

We visited Holiday Inn Fishermans Wharf two weeks ago and stayed for two nights. We were 1 block from Fishermans Wharfs and about 7 blocks from Pier 39. We walked to most destinations, but San Francisco bus lines, cable cars, and street cars ran all around the hotel, making access to China Town and others a breeze! The hotel had a 24 hour Dennys restaurant attached, but with the many other dining options just outside of the hotel entrance, we ate elsewhere. Our room was clean but dated. Security was good, but there were warnings not to open you room door to strangers under any circumstances, so there must be some issues going on. We took a shuttle to and from the hotel, but they did have limited fee based parking available.

If in the area again, we would stay here due to its super convenient location. One fantastic find was to purchase a 3-day pass on the San Francisco Municipal Transit System for $22 - this gave us unlimited rides on the bus, streetcar, or cable car - what a deal considering a single-segment cable car ride is $6.

3 Thank Biggs73
stephen l, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn San Francisco Fishermans Wharf, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Thank you for staying with us at the Holiday Inn Fisherman Wharf San Francisco Biggs73 and you are correct, our location is really convenient in which we are close to a lot of sight seeing places. Thank you also for the feedback to other guests about the 3day pass. We are glad to have you stayed with us and hope to see you again next time in San Francisco.

Holiday Inn Fisherman Wharf San Francisco Management Team
New Brunswick
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

Still recovering from a large time difference and a fantastic (surprisingly fantastic) week in San Francisco. My husband and I won tickets for anywhere Air Canada flies in North American including the Caribbean, Mexico and Hawaii. I of course thought I would be jetting past California and off to the islands. That ultimately was not on my husbands itinerary and since I get my own way most often this time I caved grudgingly and we (he) set sights on the west coast.. somewhere not too hot. So after some research we found that Sept was the best time to visit San Francisco, less fog, cooler temps and sunny days. Research paid off, we had all of that great weather. Booking a hotel was a challenge.. very expensive in San Franc.. similar to NYC. Expect to pay between 250-350 per night (ouch). We chose holiday inn express for two reasons, 1. because we are priority club members and 2. because it offered close proximity and an included breakfast. When we arrived we were met at the desk by the ever smiling and very accommodating Ady.. she was wonderful, friendly and very helpful. The hotel is well used, turnover is incredible. Huge bus loads seemed to be arriving daily. Upon check in we realized that we were in perhaps some trouble as the street noise was ridiculous with protestors using bull horns at a property across the street. Ady suggested we take a room at the back of the hotel to avoid the noise... our first night we spent in a small room with a king size bed. The room had a nice updated bathroom, room itself small with a courtyard view of only other rooms. The TV was older and not one of the new flat screens one would expect in a room at this price. Also limited channels. Our second night we moved to what we hoped would be a larger room with two double beds.. should have stayed in room one. Room 2 had a smaller bathroom, not as new. Again we had no view to speak of. Beds could use an upgrade as mattress quality for one or two nights isn't' overly important but when staying for a long term it does become a concern for anyone with back or arthritic problems.

Now the good news :) The hotel is clean as a whistle, we had no noise whatsoever. The only thing we ever heard was a room door across the hall shutting now and then. There was lots of hot water and the room was made up each day. The breakfast is average, but there was lots of everything and there were many eating each day. My only suggestion to the management is to brighten that area up. It is morning and feels like midnight in the restaurant, very dim lighting. Some natural light if available dependent on time of year.. if not more overhead lighting for a more cheerful environment. We ate each morning between 7-7:30 and great selection during that time. Our location was the kicker, we were five minutes to Fisherman's Wharf, two blocks from our tour company bus stop and there is a Walgreens and Safeway 2 minutes away. Ghirardelli Chocolate Factory 3 minutes up the street on North Point. And only a few minutes from the fun western chain In and Out Burger and cable car stop. Lots of great restaurants close by.
Any questions we had were answered by knowledgeable and courteous staff, the cleaning staff on our floor (3rd) were very kind and happy folk. We didn't use the pool, it was on the cool side our first several days. We spent 8 nights at this property. I wish the management could do some upgrades, something to brighten the rooms, newer TV's and mini fridges would be great.

If you are like us "total newbies" to San Francisco, with no idea about anything.. please write to me and I will try to help you with what learned and discoveries we made. I will say I would never accept to pay this amount for this type of hotel in Eastern Canada where we live, nor would I in many cities in the US. Comparably to NYC it was about on par. San Francisco was tourist central so the hotels are able to dictate price. Having said that, I would stay at this property again, because really we weren't in the room a lot. It was an excellent location and the staff were excellent. The shuttle to the airport was efficient and much less expensive than our cab ride when we arrived.

The only other issue I have is that I booked this property in January 2013. At the time I booked I put it on my husbands credit card. The booking confirmation said that our room was 100% non refundable. My husband pays the bills so I assumed the charge came in January and the room was paid. At one point we decided to change plans and not take the holiday.. then I reviewed the reservation again and confirmed it was 100% non refundable. When we arrived I realized our room had not been charged, (miscommunication between spouses) and also and most importantly we could have cancelled at any time. So buyer beware if you are unsure if your payment, deposit is refundable or non be sure to check directly with the property. I felt this was false information and a bit of a tactic. This also happened with a day trip we took to Napa.

At any rate, hotel was paid - great location - request for extra pillows during online reservation honored at check in time, a cold bottle of water offered at check in with a sweet little bag of sample products. Excellent location, good breakfast meal with lots of variety, fresh fruit and very good coffee. And most importantly good staff.

Thank you Holiday Inn Express for a fantastic 8 days in beautiful San Francisco!

Room Tip: I would ask for a room with some type of view other than a center courtyard. Keeping in mind if noi...
2 Thank Go4itNewBrunswick
Hi Go4itNewBrunswick, thank you for staying with us at the Holiday Inn Express Fisherman Wharf San Francisco and thank you for the detail feedback you had while you were staying with us. We will make sure Ady received the compliment she deserve and the we are glad that to have Ady working us as well. We will be undergoing renovation at the end of this year so the TV issue, lighting issue at the breakfast area will be all fixed at once. Hope this will invite you back as a returning visit to see our changes when you come to San Francisco next time. Thank you for your stay with us the past 8 days and have a nice day.

Holiday Inn Express Management Team