“Basic hotel in ok location”

Holiday Inn San Francisco Fishermans Wharf
Ranked #91 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Hereford, United Kingdom
“Basic hotel in ok location”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

This hotel was basic and not too clean. The location was ok if you want to visit fishermans wharf. If I went back to San Francisco i'd rather stay closer to the city center. The area around the hotel looked a little dated.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Neil_Hanvey
Daniel J, Manager at Holiday Inn San Francisco Fishermans Wharf, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Hello Neil Hanvey

Thank you so much for the recent review. I am glad you took a liking to the area. we hope to see you soon at the Holiday Inn Fisherman's Wharf

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (667)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 14, 2013

This hotel could not be better placed for tourists to visit The Fisherman's Wharf area of San Francisco. You are only a couple of minutes away from the attractions on the bay. Walking distance to Pier 39 and the ferry to Alcatraz. The hotel itself is clean and functional. The staff are not the friendliest but are proficient at what they do. Free wifi is available throughout the hotel. The hotel is split into two, fortunately we were in the main block if you are in the annexe be prepared to walk ....

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Daniel J, Manager at Holiday Inn San Francisco Fishermans Wharf, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Hello NomadicWolves ,

I am so glad you posted your thoughts on your recent stay with us. Yes the location can not be beat you truly "minutes away from the attractions on the bay". I will pass on comment about the cleanliness of the room to our housekeeping staff as the truly are great. Thanks so much for staying with us.
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I stayed at the end of May and the hotel is very clean and convenient to Fisherman's Wharf. I was very happy to stay in the main building. I would not have liked wheeling my luggage over to the second building and although I did not stay there it just did not give me the feeling of safety that the main building did. I did have breakfast at the Denny's when I first arrived and the restuarant was very busy and the coffee cups that they brought our coffee in had coffee stains on both cups as if they had never been washed. Very nasty!!! I did not go back. The coffee shop in the main building was very clean however as stated by others a little expensive but the convenience makes it ok. I did have a problem with my bill and I have to say the customer service was very poor. I called the front desk when I got home they said they would call me back. That never happened. I called accounting , no response. I called front desk again and finally talked to the manager that seemed irritated that I even called. When I asked why accounting didn't even call back a week later I was told he was sick. Wow one person for the entire operation. If you are lucky enough to stay in the main building and have no problems this hotel is just fine for location and cleanliness. I would have returned but after such a lack of customer service when I returned home to find a mistake on my bill I will go somewhere else next time.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn San Francisco Fishermans Wharf, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear rainbow92,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn San Francisco Fishermans Wharf, CA. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reviewed June 11, 2013

This hotel was picked mainly for location as we wanted to stay on Fisherman's wharf due to friends 'word of mouth'. We were a little surprised by the quality of furnishings as we did not expect much from this hotel, but it was really lovely.

When you enter main reception, its quite open, high ceilings, and tastefully decorated.
The room we stayed in was in the other building which were new and separate from the main building. We stayed on the top floor, which to memory was either 3rd or 4th level, which had great views of the city. The rooms were elegant, and colour palette was great. The kids (which are young) loved the bath.
I loved the pillows as they gave you options with comfort level being 'soft, medium, or firm', thought that was a nice touch. Good night sleep can make or break a trip, so its a nice detail.
Shopping close by if you want fruit or food, Starbuck's walking distance, fresh fish and chip's down the street, trams outside of hotel. Heaps of things close by for the kids. Kids loved the submarine tour and the old amusement museum, which all 5 min walk. A relatively quiet location.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms would definitely have best views. Either facing out to sea or city both nice.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Daniel J, Manager at Holiday Inn San Francisco Fishermans Wharf, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Good Day, This is wonderful, like music to our ears that your stay was wonderful not only for the adults but the most important people the kids. I am very pleased with this feed back and I must agree when said the hotel had great location and great views when on the upper floors. With all this postive feed we hope that your next trip in San francisco is planed with you allowing us to service you and your family with another great stay.

Management
Cleveland
Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

To start with let me point out its not the Radisson or the Ritz.
It's a holiday inn in a Fantastic location . The rooms are clean and tidy with a nice big bed. Only small set back was it was a little noisy outside with people walking on the footpath but to be perfectly honest after a hard days trawling around San Francisco I had no trouble sleeping .
It is literally 3 minutes walk to the shops and restaurants around the wharf.
Things to do :
Hire a bike for the day . Lots of companies to chose from I used Blazing saddles and with the voucher it was $31 for a full day which was excellent value. Even if your not a cyclist you can plod around at your own pace and can easily make Sausalito and the edge of muir woods . Sausalito is a lovely small picturesque coastal town . The biggest tip I can give you is cycle over to the ferry terminal and pick up a token as soon as you get there. It's easy to do its on the Main Street and this guarantees you a place with your cycle at a specific time to get back. You can still get on without one but if the last ferry was full you will have to cycle back !!
Purchase a Muni pass for $22 each for 3 full days which gives you unlimited access to the cable cars ,electric trams and buses a must for getting around. A single ticket/ride can cost you up to $6.
Alcatraz a really good tour for $30 including the ferry crossing and audio tour. Fantastic value for money and you can stay as long as you want over in Alcatraz.
Top tip take a warm clothes as The weather can be the same as at home !!! Once the fog comes in it can get chilly so be warned .(lots of people walking around after they have had to buy I love San francisco hoodies and coats as it was so cold on the evenings )
Lots of small kiosks down at the wharf selling fresh fish at really good prices just shop around.
Apart from that loved the place.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Victormeldrewlmao
Good Day, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing The Holiday Inn Fishermen’s Wharf San Francisco, as we strive to make you feel home away from home. This I must agree with you on is that this hotel does have great location for visitors like your self, you don’t have to go far and everything is near for your convenience. It is always a wonderful sound in our ears when we here how wonderful of a stay it was for our guests. Thank you for much for your feed back all is very much appreciated.

Management
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2013

This hotel could not be better placed for tourists to visit The Fishermans Wharf area of San Francisco. You are only a couple of minutes away from the attractions on the bay. Walking distance to Pier 39 and the ferry to Alcatraz.
The hotel is split into two, I stayed in an annex across the street from the main hotel. The lower floor faces the street and can be noisy from passing traffic and pedestrians.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the lower floor in the annex if you need a good nights sleep
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Daniel J, Manager at Holiday Inn San Francisco Fishermans Wharf, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Thanks so much for your review Zeke G. I to find the location great as well as finding our rooms clean. I hope to see you again soon and safe travels
North Hollywood, CA
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Besides the great location, this hotel is average. It is walking distance to everything. The rooms are small and have little, if any noise insulation. I heard the trolleys, dump trucks, and buses all night long. Parking is $50 per night, you can park across the street for $25 all day, overnight, and go in & out as you please.

Room Tip: ask for a top floor and bring ear plugs
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Hello Jennifer S,

Thank you so much for your post. I also must agree this is a great base to launch a San Francisco trip. I will also be sure to share with housekeeping on our clean rooms. Safe travels and and hope to see you again soon at the Holiday Inn Fisherman's Wharf.