Before booking my holiday I read Trip Advisor to get an idea of what the hotel was like and thought it seemed okay. Just before we went I looked at the reviews again and got a bit worried, however, I didn't need to be - this was great.
We were located in the 2nd building, which is literally just round the corner from the main building, and although there was not anyone on the front desk here, we felt very safe as you need to use your room key to access the lifts.
There is a Denny's in the lobby and this proved to be a great help - the first day after arriving we went on a day trip to Yosemite National Park and had to leave at 6am, so with this being open 24 hours, it was ideal for breakfast before we set off.
We ended up eating here a few times just because it was so convenient and cheaper than other places around as you are situated in the heart of tourist land!
San Francisco itself is great - the Fisherman’s Wharf area is a bit like Blackpool but if you go up to Pier 39 (about 10 min) walk it’s much better - still very touristy but much busier and of course home to the famous sea lions.
The cable car turn arounds are a few blocks away in either direction and take no more than 10 mins to walk to - we rode the cars just once but it was great to go up and down the hills and see the city this way.
Lombard Street is about a 10-15 min walk away - be warned it is up hill all the way, but well worth the walk and the views on the way back down are great.
Because we only had a limited time in the city we went on an organised Tour that included a trip to Alcatraz as well as a few hours on a coach being shown the sights of the city. I would recommend doing this as you get to see the major things and we even got to walk across the Golden Gate Bridge. We booked this ourselves via the Internet before we left the UK and had no problems at all. We also used the same company to go to Yosemite on a day trip - although this was a long day, it was well worth it - Yosemite is beautiful.
We had a quick dinner in Chinatown at a place called Chef Jai's - this is next door to the famous House of Nanking but without the queues! The look of the place isn't that inviting, but don't be put off - the food is amazing and cheap!
Overall the hotel was great - in a really good location. There was a free key operated safe in the room, free internet access in the main building, tea & coffee making facilities in the room as well as a telly and a good sized bathroom. The beds were really comfy, which was just what we needed after an 11 hour flight. The rooms had blackout curtains in them, so you weren't disturbed by sunlight.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone who only has a few days to explore the city and wants to be somewhere central as you are really close to everything and the hotel is good value for money.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- For business travel or San Francisco, California vacations, Holiday Inn San Francisco Fisherman s Wharf hotel welcomes you to the Bay City. When searching for top San Francisco hotels near Fisherman s Wharf, stay in comfort at our full-service San Francisco lodging. Walk to attractions including Pier 39, Alcatraz, Bay Cruise ferries and Ghirardelli Square. Hop on a cable car outside our hotel to visit Union Square, Financial District, Moscone Convention Center, Chinatown and AT&T Ballpark. After exploring the area, retreat to our San Francisco, California hotel to unwind in a room appointed with high-speed Internet access, in-room games and pay-per-view movies. For dining, enjoy a meal at the 24-hour Denny s or head to our Bristol Bar & Grill for a tantalizing meal and a drink. Additional on-site amenities include: laundry facilities, fitness center, an outdoor heated pool with sundeck and secure parking is available for $43 per day. Reserve your stay at our hotel in San Francisco, CA to be greeted with attentive service and superb accommodations in an unmatched locale. For spectacular savings, book a San Francisco travel package or hotel deal. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Ctrip TA, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Holiday Inn San Francisco Fishermans Wharf reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn San Francisco Fishermans Wharf Hotel San Francisco
- San Francisco Holiday Inn