“Good hotel in a great location” 5 of 5 bubbles

Holiday Inn San Francisco Fishermans Wharf
Ranked #92 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Essex
“Good hotel in a great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2011

Thought this was a really good hotel. We stayed in the part on Beach Street which looked a little newer than the main building. Clean room, housekeeping did a great job and were very friendly. Hotel is in a great location so we were able to get to all the usual tourist spots easily. No issues with noise or other guests. Can't comment on the Denny's restaurant as we wouldn't choose to eat their food anyhow but I guess you get what you pay for in there. Definitely recommend hotel.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank jojopip

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (662)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Orange County
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2011

It's a shame I have to leave a bad review but in good conscience I must forewarn other travelers. Let me get to what really matters the room and the customer service, then I will comment on the hotel amenities Check in was easy and pleasant enough and Flora was the nicest and most welcoming employee. Things went downhill from there. We left our luggage in the room and went sightseeing when we returned at night we discovered the bathroom was filthy namely the tub where you could see streaks of grime easy enough to fix I brought Clorox wipes. The main issue with the bathroom was the floor had not been mopped and there were body hairs everywhere even on the light switch. The bed was worse. We had a double bed room and only one bed was clean the other was coated in hair, I called the front desk to report this and the MOD was a man with an Indian accent who said they were horrified about this and would be giving us $40 off the bill and the room would receive a through cleaning in the morning. No offers of new sheets or a new room as housekeeping was closed for the night so I had to do my best to clean the hair off the bed myself. We got almost no sleep because of the noise from the street and from the other guests who were going in and out of their rooms at all hours yelling and slamming doors. The second night was no better noise wise we had to get up at 4 am for the marathon so when I climbed into bed I discovered not only was there hair in the bed still but that I had been bitten by bugs all over my legs, feet, and inner thighs among other places. I immediately called and reported this and was told they would be sending up new sheets when the nice young man from housekeeping (sorry I forget his name he had brown hair and freckles) came with the sheets I had him come and look at the bed he was surprised it was indeed covered in hair. We had to remake the bed ourselves and guess what we were not given the right sheets we had to use a flat sheet instead of a fitted sheet and the blankets were terribly thin considering it was chilly out they could have given us a better blanket. When we removed the sheets there was hair on the mattress pad too. Needless to say due t the noise we barely slept. We had to get up at 4am and someone had slipped a bill under the door. I spent that time before we left for the marathon on the phone trying to fix the issue rather than doing what I needed to at this point I was angry but still polite and calm. During the night someone had been messing with the connecting door and the neighbors were quite loud we got at the most 3 hours of sleep that was continuously interrupted. We had requested late check out and there were glitches with that as well that were resolved as we were scurrying to get packed and leave the phone rang it was housekeeping I reported the bug issue while talking the phone fell off the nightstand when I went to return it I discovered more hair on the nightstand in a hurry and with my camera already packed I left a note with an arrow pointing to the hair. After changing the sheets the second night my sister volunteered to sleep in the bed we were having problems with I can happily report she was not bitten by any bugs so the issue was the sheets something was living on them. Check out did not go over well I was told I would speak to a manager there but the desk was closed. I wanted to show the MOD my bug bites so they could identify the bite marks and get rid of the pest to save future guests the trouble of being bitten there was no manager to speak to. I was told via the phone to throw my room keys away when I got home and that I could leave. Needless to say I called customer service the first thing Monday morning after about an hour on the phone I was told that my final bill would be $175 with tax yet they still billed me $310.49 for a room that was basically only used to store my luggage as the room was disgusting and we were woken up every 20-30 mins every night. I could not even go elsewhere because the hotels in the city were all booked due to the marathon. I called Holiday Inn yet again today and was told they would refund me the difference via check. I will not hold my breath as it seems the concept of communication is defunct within the company. Do not stay here if the dirty room and bad customer service was not bad enough the hotel is close to the Walgreens which is nice but it is also near the MUNI stop which means noise and a lot of the homeless sleep across the street and make noises at all hours. I would also like to note Kids do not eat free at the Denny's as promised via the phone and the food was horrible the bacon was so hard it hurt when we bit into it. The vending machines were out of certain beverages all weekend long which is a shame because their prices were better than Walgreens. As far as the bugs go I want to let everyone know this our luggage was only a few years old and had been used only twice and had not been used in over a year and was clean and stored in my own personal closet so whatever was biting me was not something that hitched a ride via our luggage. It's a shame we had such a bad experience as the hotel was within walking distance of many restaurants, museums, and the Fisherman's Wharf.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank Megan B

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Luton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2011

Stayed here for 3 nights. The hotel is in a good location for all the touristy things on Fishermans Wharf and Alcatraz, but it was so expensive. We made the mistake of not booking anything until the last minute as we were travelling around California, but we wish we had booked well in advance and not been ripped off. The room was good and clean and they gave us breakfast aswell, but it wasn't worth what we paid.

That aside, we had a lovely stay in San Fran and would highly recommend it. Take the tram downtown to Union Square and walk back up through Chinatown. If you have a car, venture over the Golden Gate to Muir Woods and Point Reyes National Seyshore.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2011

Location good, reception, staff etc OK. Complex is rambling and can appear a little dated.

Room Tip: Try to avoid any rooms that front on to a street, the location is very noisy, both traffic and peopl...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Perth, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2011

My niece and I stayed at the Holiday Inn @ Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco.....It was the nicest hotel the employees were friendly and very helpful the 1 thing when we first got there we had a room over looking an alley where the dumpsters were and it was noisy..I asked for a new room the next day and we were moved as soon as the room became available.The rooms were big and bright beds were so comfortable there was no noise at night in the hotel itself only vehicle traffic outside which was only once in awhile...this was my niece's and my first time Flying and we both wanted to see San Francisco the trip was Amazing and Pier 39 was Fantastic.....I would however like the hotel to add a mini fridge and microwave to the rooms...other than that I have no complaints.... I so want to go back to do and see more and would definitely stay here again....

Room Tip: get an inside room they seem to be the quietest rooms
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Rochester, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2011

My sister and I spent 3 nights at this hotel. the location is wonderful, only about 2 blocks from Fisherman's Wharf, very near the city tour buses and cable car. The staff were very helpful, check in could not have been quicker but our room, while clean, was a bit shabby - cracked tiles and chipped paint in the bathroom, torn bedskirts. It was also quite noisy in the early morning when tour buses stopped outside with their engines running. I'd still recommend staying here just because of the location.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Montana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2011

This hotel is in a great location for a lot of popular tourist spots (Alcatraz, Pier 39, Ghiradelli Square, etc) but it is NOT worth the price. It is a little run down, our bathroom was dirty (hair on the floor, water spilled on the counter) upon our arrival and the room smelled really bad. Several of the staff members were VERY rude when we asked them questions or needed something. They act like tourists are a huge inconvenience to them and definitely won't go out of their way to help. The restaurant is VERY overpriced although our server (Lorene, I think her name was) was very nice & helpful. Don't waste your money, stay somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2011