We visited San Francisco for the first time as a family during the first week of August. We booked this Hilton through Hotwire, but I was already interested in staying there because the 'candid' photos of the hotel room views on Trip Advisor looked great, and the location looked convenient to the areas we wanted to visit. So I was pleased when the 'blind' selection through Hotwire was this Hilton.
After reading a bit more and thinking about it, I was a little worried about the the size of the room for our family, which includes two young teens. I called the reservations desk at the hotel to inquire about upgrading to a larger room, and was able to do so for an additional fee. I spoke several times to the front desk and reservations prior to my stay and received excellent service.
The hotel room did not disappoint. As many have stated here, the views (at least on the bay side) are SPECTACULAR. The city views I think are good too - but not as good. The decor in our room was also very nice (4 star in my opinion), very nice bathroom, and clean. For us the upgrade was well worth it. We even had dinner in our room on evening (take-out from Tommaso's down the street) in order to enjoy the view.
Our room was a larger room on the 25th floor, with a King bed and pull out queen sofa bed. We also had a kitchenette with a sink and fridge that we used a lot. The bathroom was large, with a nice walk in shower - no tub.
We did not eat at the hotel other than the 'club floor' continental breakfast and hors d'oeuvres served on the 26th floor (the bfast was a little better than your typical Hampton Inn continental breakfast). We used the breakfast every morning because it was free and convenient. We thought about eating at '750', but there are too many other good options in the area.
The location is very good given it's close walking location to Chinatown, Union Square, North Beach, Coit Tower and Embarcadero/Ferry Building. The entrance of the hotel faces Chinatown, the other side of the hotel faces the Financial District, 2 blocks down is North Beach. The most convenient cable car line is California St, a few blocks away.
There were always a lot of people on the streets around the hotel, so I felt safe walking around there at all times. There are a few blocks towards North Beach that have a couple of 'x-rated' clubs. Those blocks are easily avoided (if so desired).
My only complaints with the hotel were that the front desk and concierge could be very difficult to reach by phone from the hotel. I think they could actually use a second full time concierge. The other complaint was the management of the driveway in front. It is totally out of control and was blocked for extended periods. If you are driving at all (we rented cars for trips out of the city), I would recommend stopping on the street rather than pulling in the drive and getting stuck. The elevators can be very busy, and be prepared for a quick draw of your room card necessary to access all floors.
**I highly recommend anyone planning a trip to SF visit the Forum page which is very active and helpful.
A must for Saturdays is a stroll down to The Embarcadero and Ferry Building then down to the Wharf. It is a great time for a family. Many other suggestions are on the Forum.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hilton San Francisco Financial District soars 27 stories, offering stunning panoramic views of the city skyline and San Francisco Bay. Located in the historic center of the city, the hotel sits at the crossroads of the Financial District, Chinatown, North Beach and Nob Hill. You are just steps away from San Francisco's most popular attractions such as Alcatraz, Union Square, Fisherman's Wharf, Coit Tower, and Lombard Street. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hilton Hotels Direct, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Priceline, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and HRS so you can book your Hilton San Francisco Financial District reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton San Francisco Financial District Hotel San Francisco
- Hilton Hotel San Francisco
- San Francisco Hilton