“Great Stay at the Hilton Fin Dist”

Hilton San Francisco Financial District
Ranked #70 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Dallas, Tx
“Great Stay at the Hilton Fin Dist”
Reviewed August 11, 2007

We visited San Francisco for the first time as a family during the first week of August. We booked this Hilton through Hotwire, but I was already interested in staying there because the 'candid' photos of the hotel room views on Trip Advisor looked great, and the location looked convenient to the areas we wanted to visit. So I was pleased when the 'blind' selection through Hotwire was this Hilton.

After reading a bit more and thinking about it, I was a little worried about the the size of the room for our family, which includes two young teens. I called the reservations desk at the hotel to inquire about upgrading to a larger room, and was able to do so for an additional fee. I spoke several times to the front desk and reservations prior to my stay and received excellent service.

The hotel room did not disappoint. As many have stated here, the views (at least on the bay side) are SPECTACULAR. The city views I think are good too - but not as good. The decor in our room was also very nice (4 star in my opinion), very nice bathroom, and clean. For us the upgrade was well worth it. We even had dinner in our room on evening (take-out from Tommaso's down the street) in order to enjoy the view.

Our room was a larger room on the 25th floor, with a King bed and pull out queen sofa bed. We also had a kitchenette with a sink and fridge that we used a lot. The bathroom was large, with a nice walk in shower - no tub.

We did not eat at the hotel other than the 'club floor' continental breakfast and hors d'oeuvres served on the 26th floor (the bfast was a little better than your typical Hampton Inn continental breakfast). We used the breakfast every morning because it was free and convenient. We thought about eating at '750', but there are too many other good options in the area.

The location is very good given it's close walking location to Chinatown, Union Square, North Beach, Coit Tower and Embarcadero/Ferry Building. The entrance of the hotel faces Chinatown, the other side of the hotel faces the Financial District, 2 blocks down is North Beach. The most convenient cable car line is California St, a few blocks away.

There were always a lot of people on the streets around the hotel, so I felt safe walking around there at all times. There are a few blocks towards North Beach that have a couple of 'x-rated' clubs. Those blocks are easily avoided (if so desired).

My only complaints with the hotel were that the front desk and concierge could be very difficult to reach by phone from the hotel. I think they could actually use a second full time concierge. The other complaint was the management of the driveway in front. It is totally out of control and was blocked for extended periods. If you are driving at all (we rented cars for trips out of the city), I would recommend stopping on the street rather than pulling in the drive and getting stuck. The elevators can be very busy, and be prepared for a quick draw of your room card necessary to access all floors.

**I highly recommend anyone planning a trip to SF visit the Forum page which is very active and helpful.

A must for Saturdays is a stroll down to The Embarcadero and Ferry Building then down to the Wharf. It is a great time for a family. Many other suggestions are on the Forum.

• Liked — Views, Rooms, Forgot to mention Great Work Out Room!
  • Disliked — Driveway Traffice Control
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank NomadDad

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (726)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
vancouver
Reviewed August 11, 2007

Extremely professional, courteous staff. Excellent location, incredible bedding, great food in the restaurant. A wonderful stay.

• Liked — the bed
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
USA
Reviewed August 8, 2007

This is a really great hotel.

First the view was spectacular--Coit Tower in the foreground, Alcatrez to the left and the slopes of Russian Hill and Nob Hill to the left. To the right is the bay and the Ferries. In the distance rise the mountains. Simply fantastic!

(These were "bay view" rooms. Obviously not all rooms had this view.)

The location was also wonderful. Chinatown is in front of the hotel. North Beach starts just to the right and Market Street and the Financial District are just to the left. Behind you is the Embarcaderro.

The room and hotel decor is very stylish and modern, giving this rather large hotel the feel of a smaller upscale boutique hotel. The rooms are not large, but are thoughtfully laid out so that they feel quite comfortable and have very nice work space and bathrooms. Loved the flat screen TV's and the sliding door to the bathroom.

The staff was fine, but I didn't have any food or room service.

I really enjoyed my stay there--too bad it was for one night only.

• Liked — Location, decor and view from Bay View rooms!
  • Disliked — I only stayed one night!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank Middle_Aged_Man
Ardrossan, Scotland
Reviewed August 3, 2007

We stayed at this hotel from July 14th for a week. The hotel has completely been modernised and is very very shiny and new. The style is very modern and very hip. We had booked directly with the hotel and had booked a bay view room. Upon checking in however there were no bay view rooms avaiiable and the girl on reception asked us to wait while she checked with her manager, on returning she came back to say she had managed to get us a room on the top floor of the hotel which she said would have views of the bay.

We were aprehensive until we got to the room. It was amazing!!! It was huge very modern and get this had French doors leading to a balcony and patio with the most amaxing view of the coit tower and the entire San Francisco Bay. It completely took our breath away. The room itself was spectacular in its decoration fit and finish, 32 inch wall mounted t.v, marble bathroom and an incredibly comfortable bed with lovely clean bed linen. We even had complimentary bath robes...

Our stay was really incredible and the service from the staff was fantastic, very attentive and just what you would expect from a Hilton. We would stay at this hotel in a minute and could not reccommend it highly enough to anyone.

Location wise its only a 10 minute walk from Union Square and 20 mins from the wharf..

• Liked — Totally brand new
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank frankandalisonm
Ireland
Reviewed August 1, 2007

This hotel should come out of the closet and call itself the Hilton Chinatown. It even contains the Chinese Cultural Centre and it seems to be a very popular hotel for American Chinese and visiting Chinese,
which gives it a bit of an exotic feel (for us irish countryfolk). It was great for us as one of the main purposes of our stay was to explore Chinatown. The hotel is also within walking distance of North
Beach, the Embarcadera and Union Square so the location is the very best feature of this hotel.

We stayed two nights and our comments generally are good. The room on
the 17th floor was great. Spotlessly clean and very well equipped. I would repeat the warning given by other reviewers - don't drink the Evian, it gets put on the bill. But at least the coffee is free. Also
why do they charge a dollar to make a toll-free call? We had a problem as our luggage was lost so had to keep phoning the help line.
However, the staff very obligingly let us use the front desk phone for free when it was quiet.

We had a lovely view from our room and did not experience any internal noise from the hotel. However, the noise from the street in the middle of the night was very bad. This, of course, is beyond the control of the hotel, but I mention it to warn others. I did not expect that the noise would carry up to the 17th floor, but it seemed
like there was a street party going on for at least an hour.

There was a very good atmosphere in the hotel and the staff were all very friendly and helpful. The only glaring exception to this was the
male concierge, who was unbelievably rude to us for no reason at all other than he thought we were British. (We are from Ireland). He actually said to us, when we gently asked him why he had turned his back on us, "well you are British so I am being British back to you".
Whatever that means. Maybe it was his idea of a joke and it did make us laugh because his attitude was so eccentric and completely uncalled for. We either had to laugh it off or take deep offence. My husband works in the tourist industry here in Ireland and would never
dream of treating his american guests in that way.

The rest of the front desk staff were extremely kind and very good at their jobs. I can honestly say this as I had the opportunity to observe them for considerable time while I was using their phone to hold on 20 minutes for that freephone helpline.

Overall a good stay considering it was in the centre of a busy city at the weekend and we would definitely use the hotel again but maybe polish up our american accents!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — street noise
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank irishrover
Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 26, 2007

This hotel is conveniently located to the financial district, Chinatown and North Beach. Cabs were regularly at the hotel and public transportation was close. This property was formerly the Holiday Inn Financial District and is an older hotel. The decor has improved drastically, but the overall experience still was marginal at best.

I waited thirty minutes to check-in due to a line of 14 people in front of me. There was not adequate staff at the front desk and the two that were there were not helpful at all. I thought I must have just hit a busy time or shift change, but the problems continued throughout the night. I had the same experience at check out - I took 18 minutes to just get a receipt (I did not receive one under my door as usual).

The room decor was very nice and new, but the bathroom had odd screws where the hairdryer was missing. The room was very small, but functional.

When I called for a wake-up call it took three tries since no one was answering the phone. I did not receive the call the next morning as requested.

The conceirge level services were standard. I went to the evening hour (wine and beer incurred a charge, but soda and bottled water were free) - the snacks were adequate (cheese cubes, chips & salsa, some undistinguished fried blobs (we are still wondering what they were - the staff said "appetizers" when I asked). The breakfast the next morning was also ok, but not outstanding - pastries, cereal, yogurt & fruit.

Overall the stay was ok, but the staff were consistently sparse and not very helpful. I stayed at the Hilton by Union Square the previous night and had an outstanding stay - I would pick this Hilton instead if I were returning to the area. I would not stay at this property again.

• Liked — The location - close to the financial district, Chinatown and North Beach.
  • Disliked — The unavailable and unhelpful staff.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank SheWhoWanders
Sacramento
Reviewed July 24, 2007

We booked this hotel through Priceline, so for the money, a great deal. Would not give this hotel a 4 star rating, more like 3. The rooms are very nicely decorated, hotel is in great location to Chinatown and North Beach. However, the outside noise at night is terrible. We were on the 6th floor overlooking an alley, so maybe a higher floor wouldn't have been as bad.

• Stayed July 2007