“Marginal at best - decor improved, but little else”

Hilton San Francisco Financial District
Ranked #78 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 26, 2007

This hotel is conveniently located to the financial district, Chinatown and North Beach. Cabs were regularly at the hotel and public transportation was close. This property was formerly the Holiday Inn Financial District and is an older hotel. The decor has improved drastically, but the overall experience still was marginal at best.

I waited thirty minutes to check-in due to a line of 14 people in front of me. There was not adequate staff at the front desk and the two that were there were not helpful at all. I thought I must have just hit a busy time or shift change, but the problems continued throughout the night. I had the same experience at check out - I took 18 minutes to just get a receipt (I did not receive one under my door as usual).

The room decor was very nice and new, but the bathroom had odd screws where the hairdryer was missing. The room was very small, but functional.

When I called for a wake-up call it took three tries since no one was answering the phone. I did not receive the call the next morning as requested.

The conceirge level services were standard. I went to the evening hour (wine and beer incurred a charge, but soda and bottled water were free) - the snacks were adequate (cheese cubes, chips & salsa, some undistinguished fried blobs (we are still wondering what they were - the staff said "appetizers" when I asked). The breakfast the next morning was also ok, but not outstanding - pastries, cereal, yogurt & fruit.

Overall the stay was ok, but the staff were consistently sparse and not very helpful. I stayed at the Hilton by Union Square the previous night and had an outstanding stay - I would pick this Hilton instead if I were returning to the area. I would not stay at this property again.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank SheWhoWanders

Reviewed July 24, 2007

We booked this hotel through Priceline, so for the money, a great deal. Would not give this hotel a 4 star rating, more like 3. The rooms are very nicely decorated, hotel is in great location to Chinatown and North Beach. However, the outside noise at night is terrible. We were on the 6th floor overlooking an alley, so maybe a higher floor wouldn't have been as bad.

• Stayed: July 2007
2  Thank BrownNCA
Reviewed July 19, 2007

I was surprised to see the old Holiday Inn Chinatown is now a Hilton and has been given a face lift. We like the new look and feel, but miss the staff from when it was Holiday Inn. The elevators seem to be as busy and slow as before, but everything else seemed fully upgraded.

Stayed: July 2007
1  Thank azgays
Reviewed July 10, 2007

Booked my room through priceline, and that's the way to do it. Check-in was smooth and friendly, and they even changed the room type (received a king instead of a double bed because of my height). Quiet and newly refurbished room, and even though the hotel was almost full, couldn't hear my neighbours. Bathroom is rather small, and shower head is only meant for small people (I had to kneel to wash my hair). Wireless internet is free in the room, and the concierge and desk people are very friendly. Location is great: cable cart within two blocks, fisherman's warf half an hour away by foot, and next door is Chinatown. It really is a great hotel if you don't pay rack rate.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled solo
2  Thank flyingdutchman06
Reviewed July 3, 2007

Loved this hotel!! Got a fantastic rate through hotwire.com. Loved the location, on the edge of Chinatown, North Beach (Little Italy) and financial district/downtown. The room was perfectly appointed....
super comfy bed, great club chair and ottoman for sitting/reading/
watching TV. Excellent desk and features for biz travellers, even though I wasn't on biz this trip. Loved the individual Lazza (?sp?) coffee maker in the room - terrific coffee! The staff was very nice and helpful when needed. This hotel worked out very well for me and I'd recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank GracieBlue
Reviewed July 1, 2007

Hotel is wonderfully redone as a Hilton, clean and crisp looking. Great central location adjacent to both Chinatown and North Beach. Yes, it can be loud, but you are downtown in a city, that is the way it is! Most notable was the excellent quick and helpful service. The concierge was extremely helpful and friendly, great food tips! When we left a bag in the garage across the street, not even their garage, the front desk manager personally returned my call within 15 minutes, went to the garage, searched for and located our bag!!! I still can't believe the low price I paid for such above and beyond, outstanding service! Will DEFINITELY return!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank EHS_7
Reviewed June 26, 2007

Upon first glance our room looked great -- nice bedding, new fixtures and desk, nice lounger and a great view. The room appeared recently updated with a modern flair. When looking closer at the room, the toilet wouldn't flush, the sink was plugged, a magnifying mirror had been ripped out of the bathroom wall, and the walls were paper thin.

We could have managed a little bit of noise from our neighbors except we could hear them yelling and playing a drinking game. We called the front desk to be moved, and were moved to a room on another floor where more "partying" was taking place. We rode the elevator with an assistant manager who said he had just caught 5 college-age boys trying to sneak into a room with their sleeping bags.

It was definitely a younger crowd at the hotel, and we could never figure out if there was a central party or if everyone was just doing their own thing. We visit San Francisco 3-4 times a year and this is the first time we've been disappointed with a hotel/room. We would not stay at this Hilton again.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple