“Great location, spent much of time waiting for elevators”

Hilton San Francisco Financial District
Ranked #68 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Great location, spent much of time waiting for elevators”
Reviewed February 1, 2010

My wife and I attended a conference at the Hilton. Generally the experience was good with a few exceptions.

The rooms are nicely furnished and comfortable. The location of the hotel is outstanding in the financial district on the edge of Chinatown. The food service at out conference was very good (for a hotel).

Our main complaint and the reason we might reconsider staying here again was the elevators (or lack thereof). The hotel has 4 elevators with only 3 in service, it was not unusual for members of our conference to have to wait upwards of 10 minutes for an elevator. This was a constant source of frustration during our stay.

The other issue with the hotel we experienced was an unusual amount of noise from other rooms and the street at night. We were on the 20th floor and it was not unusual to hear street noise.

Everything else about the stay was good. These two issues would likely lead us to choose other lodging the next time we are in San Francisco.

1 Thank STL_MO_Traveler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (718)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Northbrook, Illinois
Reviewed January 31, 2010

Stayed for one night on business. Solid business hotel in a great location. Took the BART in from SFO and walked less than half a mile from the Market Street station. Rooms were very clean and comfortable though minimilist. Easy walk to the Embarcadero, Union Square or wherever. The only negatives is the speed of the elevator service. At one point I waited over 10 minutes for a car - others had the same problem. Also, because you are in the middle of the city, there will be some noise from the outside. Would definitely stay here again, even tough my meeting was at the Hyatt -where my last stay was only so-so.

Sacramento
Reviewed January 28, 2010

We stayed at this Hilton due to trip in the city to see a play, we enjoyed everything concerning SF and this hotle. WE WILL BE STAYING HERE AGAIN ON OUR FUTURE TRIPS TO SF AND WILL RECOMMEND THIS HILTON TO ALL!!!!!!!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Malibu, California
Reviewed January 23, 2010

This is the old Holiday Inn and has been refurbished to bring it up to 4 star standards. Everything was up to 4 star standards as far as I experienced. I did not eat there because there are so many great San Francisco eateries within a short walk. This omni proximity is the real beauty of this hotel.
As far are my room goes, it was great with all the posh luxuries that come with a 4 star Hilton. Valet only parking was $56 a day but fast and convenient. There was nothing to complain about at the hotel. It is not spectacular or romantic like the Hyatt Embarcadero but it is not priced like it either.
But I can rave about the location. First it is about 100 meters from the restaurant owned by Francis Ford Coppola. Just walk out the front door, turn right and in 100 steps you are there. The name of the place is Café Zoetrope (like the name of his studio). It has great food, wine from the owner’s vineyard, and heated outdoor seating. Right across the street is House of Nan King Restaurant which, I don’t know why, always has a long line to get in so it must be something special. And a little further down the street is City Lights Bookstore which may be the greatest bookstore in the world.

If you walk out of the front door of the hotel and turn left you can walk to Union Square and Market Street. Everything is close.

And one other big plus it that I got free wifi Internet which worked flawlessly.

Bottom line is that I would stay at this hotel again in a heartbeat and would recommend it to anyone else who wanted to be in this location.

1 Thank Taniquan
USA
Reviewed January 14, 2010

We experienced major problems from the moment we made reservations to the moment we checked out. I called the hotel directly to make the reservation and the person at the front desk told me she did not want to give me a room. After talking to her for over an hour, she finally booked a room for me at nearly $400/night. She said she hiked up the rate because the Miss Chinatown pageant was at the hotel and told me I was lucky to even get a room. I later discovered that this was a complete lie because the pageant is in late February (my stay was in early January). She also told me that if I gave her my credit card number, I would be guaranteed a room on the executive floor with double beds and bayview. After a long flight, I arrived 2 hours before the official 3 pm check-in time. I was horrified when they told me they had double-booked my room. They took my credit card number and guaranteed the room to me, then later sold the same room to someone else. When I showed them my confirmation paperwork (which even said that my room was guaranteed and should not be moved), the manager couldn't care less. She offered me a room that was not on the executive floor. The room had a king bed. This was unacceptable as I was traveling with my brother! She then offered to move a cot into the room at no additional charge. Seriously? If I wanted to sleep on a cot, I would stay at a $20/night hostel. I can't believe they expected me to pay a ridiculous amount of money to sleep on a cot in a standard room when I had proof that I was guaranteed a room with double beds on the executive floor! After an hour and a half of arguing, the manager finally put us in a different room for 2 nights and "guaranteed" (and I use that term loosely) that we could move into the room we originally booked for the remainder of the trip. After 2 nights, we went to the front desk to pick up our new keys and were shocked to discover that they had just given away our room to another guest AGAIN! It was the most unbelievable thing and I nearly had a stroke. To make matters worse, they had already put a new guest into the room we were temporarily staying in despite the fact that all our luggage was still there. "Don't worry", they assured us. "We moved your luggage to your new room for you". Um, didn't they just say that they had given that room away to someone else? So there we were without a room and our luggage was in some stranger's room. They finally found us a different room, but offered no apologies. We had to knock on the stranger's door, remove all our luggage ourselves, and drag it to our new room. Needless to say, this was very painful and quite awkward for us and the stranger. The speed-dial buttons on the phone in our new room did not work so we had to call the operator and be transferred every time we wanted to talk to the front desk or concierge. It didn't matter anyway because the front desk never answered the phone so we literally had to walk down there and get in line if we had a simple question.

To summarize: With its hostile staff, false guarantees, and shamelessly unapologetic double-booking of rooms, this hotel deserves less than one star. Suffice it to say, a guarantee from the SF Financial District Hilton means absolutely nothing. If they guarantee you a room, don't be surprised if it is sold to someone else before you get there. And don't expect an apology from anyone because you won't get it. For $400 a night, you can get yourself a room at any of the 5-star hotels in San Francisco. Don't go to the SF Hilton in the Financial District if you value your time, your money, and your state of mind. Shame on them for their lack of integrity.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank luv2travel2069
MM_sanfran, Marketing Manager at Hilton San Francisco Financial District, responded to this review, January 18, 2010
Thank you for your feedback. We apologize for the less than stellar service you received and any miscommunication you experienced while staying with us. Your comments have been forwarded to our General Manager. Please let us know if you will be returning to San Francisco, as we would love the opportunity to make a better impression.
Ventura, CA
Reviewed January 10, 2010

We use Trip Advisor extensively for out trip planning, so I thought we would contribute to make someone else's trip better.

We stay at this hotel every year for our week in SF. We Priceline it and get it from $80-85 every time. We don't really use our car to get around, and park it across the street at Portsmouth square for $25, (I have read the price has increased to $30 though, still cheap for this town).

We get the Citypass, which beats the individual cost of the places we like to visit and public transportation combined. This hotel will not put you in the newest, flat screen TV'd rooms with Priceline, but we always get pretty high floors, the favorite view of ours is Coit Tower. The service is fine, no complaints, but they definitely don't oblige with room requests as much if you are a Priceline guest, but they're not bad either. No early check in most times.

There is a little Chinese food/american food place right next door that has awesome breakfast specials, good Chinese, and my son's favorite burgers. There is HOUSE OF NANKIN down the street that is famous, and awesome. I think the Lotus Flower Tea is the name of a great tea that has a blooming flower in it while you watch. There is a Starbucks around back, a McDonald's down the block towards Market, and a Subway across the street if you want to save some money, (our first trip was all sit down restaurants for all meals and totaled to more than $200 per day for the 4 of us). A place we will try this February trip is TOMMY TOYS Chinese Food Restaurant, it looks fancy, and the reviews are all great, including the prices from what I read, (it's also around back). Other must have's are NORTH BEACH PIZZA, (especially after a night of drinking as they close late).

For drinks hit SF BREWERY, if you're lucky the old world barkeep is on shift with awesome beer recommendations, (they also have great appetizers). You must tryTHE BAMBOO HUT on Broadway, dive bar, up the street, cheap drinks, (Volcano drink is a must have). It's right by all the strip clubs on Broadway, the bartender was a dead look alike for Robert Downey Jr, and nice as can be. We loved PEARL'S JAZZ CLUB, but saw it was closed, and read the same during our last trip to SF 02/2009.

The only place we had to drive to was the Golden Gate Bridge, & Golden Gate Park, but there are other places we recommend that you can get to through Muni and Cable Cars. To get anywhere down Market St from the hotel take the Embacadero Station at Market St, it's a short walk from a back street behind the hotel to Market Street, don't walk down Kearny to Market because it's a longer walk to Market as the streets are angled. From the Muni you can get to the Castro, and anywhere in between, then take the cable cars at the turn around from Market to Fisherman's Wharf, or get off in Chinatown and walk downhill on Washington to your hotel, as we do always.

Other places to check out that are away from the hotel vicinity are:
MILANO PIZZERIA in the Sunset District, by GOLDEN GATE PARK, (we do the park in the afternoon for the JAPANESE TEA GARDEN, New ACADEMY OF SCIENCE that is awesome!, and strolling. You can walk up the street from Milano and visit the HOME OF CRAIGSLIST.
MARCELLO'S PIZZA, in THE CASTRO, really good pizza slices, just getting out of the Muni station for the castro.
CHIRARDELLI SQUARE for hot fudge sundaes is our must every trip.
THE EXPLORATORIUM if you have kids is a must.
THE AQUARIUM, and underground shark tank at Fisherman's Wharf.
JOG along the piers, especially after a nice rain, it's amazing.
HEIGHT ASHBURY, there's not much here, but CREPES EXPRESS is a must for great Crepes. Good shops, Buffalo Exchange is good, and many small other shops, especially smoke and pipe shops, mucho panhandlers.

If you and the wife are feeling adventurous, there is a big secret in a funky corner building up the street on Kearny, it's an erotic club for couples and single girls. We have been to it, you bring your own beer from one of the liquor stores a couple of businesses adjacent and pay a cover charge. It's an amazing, no pressure, erotic environment. They have a great DJ, dance floor, appetizers, and separate upstairs for the adult stuff if you wish. During the day the place is transformed into a high end fashion boutique, it's surreal. Even if you just go to dance the night away, it's a fun time. You hand your beer to a drink tender, she gives you your number and holds your beer, you just get more when you want. You have to email them for approval to visit by sending them a picture of you two, and they will send you the address. Email us if you want more info.

Oh, and don't forget to find the HIDDEN LITTLE FORTUNE COOKIE FACTORY in an alley in Chinatown, we buy bag of fortune cookies for gifts to our friends when we get back from our trip.

You will read a lot of bad reviews about places that have many great reviews, all you can do is accept the majority and assume the minority negative or positive reviews are coming from people that have greatly deviating tastes and perspectives from the average person. Some people like fanny packs, but I'd never wear one. Don't avoid a place because of a small percentage of bad reviews. I gave a chance to badly reviewed places and could not understand WTF they were talking about, but obviously I'm not an old Christian right wing conservative, or a grouch, so my perspective won't apply to everyone's approval.

I'm sure I missed some places, but check out ANTHONY BOURDAIN'S SHOW ON SAN FRANCISCO, NO RESERVATIONS, you can see it on Youtube. You can email us with any questions, this is one of our favorite vacations of the year and we love this city.
[--]

Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank travelingfamilyCA
Jerusalem
Reviewed January 3, 2010

We booked directly through Hilton's website which had a great deal if you were willing to wait until check-in to select a room type. We ended up on the 25th floor with a view of Coit Tower and Alcatraz. The room was well furnished and clean. We could hear a group get-together in the next room on one night, but it didn't put us off- I only mention in case you are extra sensitive to noise.

The only major downside (if you have a car) is that parking is either valet for over $50 a night, or self park in a connected garage for $30 a night. Parking is expensive in central SF, but it would have been nice if the hotel could have arranged some discount for guests parking in the garage in their basement.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple