“hilton - the brand aint what it used to be”

Hilton San Francisco Financial District
Ranked #68 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Datchworth, United Kingdom
“hilton - the brand aint what it used to be”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

hilton hotels 25 years ago were considered the height of luxury they have gone steadily downmarket ever since seeking a more mainstream clientele. this is a typical hilton, good but nothing special, a good location but nothing outstanding in terms of food or service. if your not expecting too much and need to be in the centre of town this wont disappoint

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Mesui P, Front Office Manager at Hilton San Francisco Financial District, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Thank you for submitting a guest review. We are constantly searching for ways to improve upon our service and accommodations. On behalf of our staff, I, sincerely, apologize for any inconvenience that we caused. I assure you that our managment team is working diligently to address the issues that you noted. Our team hopes that you will continue to choose the Hilton family of hotels for your stay needs.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (711)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

I stayed with my family for 3 days from aug 20 to 23. We paid 700+ dollars. We got horrible service. V. Small room. Dirty. My daughter got bed bugs. The room 616 was noisy. I wouldnt go again even if it was free.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Mazenmas
Mesui P, Front Office Manager at Hilton San Francisco Financial District, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
We thank you for choosing to stay with us. Our hotel takes your report very seriously. Just moments ago, we inspected the room you stayed in. The mattresses were thoroughly inspected for pests. None were found. I invite you to send me a private message so that I can further assist you.
San Francisco
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

They clean the room lately because in August 19 we going aout around 9:00 A. M. Whe return to the hotel Hilton around 4;00 they did'nt clean the room . and the other problem one bed it is no good. The service is good and the Hotel is in good area..

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

We thank you for submitting a guest survey. I am very sorry that the accommodations were not to standard during your past stay. I assure you that our Executive Housekeeper and Chief Engineer are taking appropriate steps to prevent such failures in the future. We hope that you will return and stay with us again.
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

I just spent nearly a week at the Hilton SF Financial District. I wasn't expecting it to be very good as most older Hilton properties are pretty bad, looking like text book examples of 50 years of decline. But, while the building itself is old and from a really bad architectural period, the stay was very comfortable. Anyone who says the rooms are small doesn't know a lot about hotel room sizes in expensive cities like San Francisco and New York--the rooms are decent sized for such cities. The location is close to almost everything most people visit in SF and I could walk to all my business meetings as well as have long runs along the Embarcadero, and, had I had time, walk to most of the attractions of the city. It definitely can be loud--the windows must not insulate well--and I found the ear plugs they provide useful at night--it is significantly worse on weekends than weekday nights.
The rooms on the executive floors at least have nice robes, good wood hangers and plenty of amenities--my only frustration was discovering no outlets by the bed so it is hard to sit in bed and use a laptop. The Executive Lounge, while not large, was very nice, much homier than most, and the breakfast was surprisingly good--good choice of hot dishes, platters of meats and cheeses, many pastries and bagels and all the usual cereals, yogurts, etc. and a good espresso maker. I especially liked it that the lounge was accessible 24 hours so I could get a coffee at 3am. I also noticed the staff getting food out early for a couple heading to the airport--very accommodating. A 24 hour fitness center also matters to me and this hotel has one--not a large one, but adequate and clean with nice towels, apples, and so forth.
I've never in a review praised the maid service before, as it is usually unremarkable, but here the women who provide the housekeeping services are exceptional--professional, thorough, efficient and accommodating. The night staff and the bellmen were also excellent--the most consistently good service from a Hilton in the US I've had. So, if you can ignore a tired, dated building, an ugly entrance, a character-less lobby, some slow elevators and some noise, this hotel provides a very comfortable stay.

Room Tip: rooms facing the bay are way nicer than those facing the city
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your review. We are very thankful for the generous scores and kind comments. Our staff is thrilled that you enjoyed the service and accommodations. We hope that you will return and stay with us soon.
LA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

I liked this Hilton much better than its sister hotel at Union Square, which was a behemoth. This one was smaller, and the pier (and fabulous restaurants) were walkable, even at night. The hotel was smaller, so I didn't have to walk 5 miles to my room. The rooms were standard, but pretty small. That said, they were clean and I had enough space to work with.
Very nice staff.

The only downside was that the rooms were REALLY loud. They must know this because they left ear plugs by the bedside. I sleep with a white noise maker, but I still knew exactly when my upstairs neighbor's alarm went off at 6am and he stomped out of bed. Then my next door neighbor started on a coughing fit. I could hear everything. I was on the club level floor, second from top. And it was still that loud.

Room Tip: Try to get a corner and/or top floor to reduce the number of noisy neighbors
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for submitting a guest review. We are very thankful for the generous scores. Recently, we completed brand new window treatments to increase the quietness and comfort of each room. Still, we do provide ear plugs to each guest room just in case the city noise/humming becomes an issue. Our team is very happy to be your choice in San Francisco. We hope to see you again soon.
San Francisco, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

the service should match the price in your brand. we booked 3 rooms which were by bay-view in this earlier July, but your Hilton didn't give us all of them( that caused more inconvenience to us for moving to the bay-view room next day). The staffs interaction were not good that made more difficulty to complete our request. Some one was rude. Only one room key could open the breakfast room. The rate is high but service is down now! If you fixed the problem we would come again.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Mesui P, Front Office Manager at Hilton San Francisco Financial District, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. I apologize that we were unable to accommodate all of your reserved room types. Our front desk department goes through a lengthy process each day to ensure that our guests receive exactly the room expected, however at times we do not have the same availability due to guests extending their stays with us. While we did place a room out of order to move you to the next day, we were unable to do so because your items were not packed. I assure you that I am following up with the staff that was on duty that second day to prevent further issues like this. Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience and do hope that the next time you travel to the area you will consider staying with us again.
Bergen op Zoom, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

We recently stayed 5 nights in the Hilton San Francisco Financial District. This hotel is located near Chinatown. It is a nice hotel for visiting the beautiful city of San Francisco. One of the highlights of the city (Fisherman's Wharf) is approx. 15 minutes walk from the hotel. The hotel has free wifi in the lobby/bar area (unfortunately not on the rooms) and also has some computers in the lobby which can be used free of charge. The staff at this hotel is very friendly. The hotel also has a parking. It is a public parking, but Hilton charges high parking costs (USD 50,00 per night for hotel guests). This is no valet parking, which they have, but this is even more expensive.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
We thank you for submitting a guest review. The Hilton Brand Promise is to ensure that every guest is cared for, valued, and respected. It appears that our team delivered upon this goal. We hope that you will return and stay with us again.