“Loved location and views”

Hilton San Francisco Financial District
Ranked #79 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 28, 2008

I found the location very convenient. As I was in SF for the first time, it was great to be able to just walk around Chinatown etc.....my room had the best view imaginable, looking over the Bay. Room was very clean and conveniently arranged. My only complaint was the service at breakfast.....not good.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting SF on vacation or business.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank LouFredericton_NB

Reviewed May 20, 2008

My husband and I stayed here for one night and I wish it could have been longer. Hilton's are our hotel of choice and this is now my favorite.

The hotel is right next to Chinatown. You can walk to just about any place. Checkin was so nice! They gave us a room on the 19th floor facing the bay. Words cannot describe how magnificent the view is.

The rooms have been redone and are very clean and have those heavenly beds.

The only thing I disliked was that you have to pay $47 a night for parking plus tax! You can park across the street for about $26 for 24 hours.

Also, the food in the hotel is very expensive. For breakfast, go next door to the Garden Restaurant. Perfect breakfast and reasonable price. Cash only. For lunch or dinner go down the street to R & G Lounge. Fab chinese food. Great place! Very reasonable for lunch.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Likeness
Reviewed May 15, 2008

Stayed in the hilton for 3 days rooms were very nice and clean staff at the front desk were very helpful and courteous.It was a different matter for the bar waitress's who delivered our food cold and also missed some of our order off .Deciding not to get in to confrontation and to spoil our holiday we decided not to leave a tip ,big mistake .The waitress returned to our table and asked for the tip ,when we told her we would not tip for the service she became very surly and agitated so we said we would call the manager only then did she leave .After that incident we decided not eat or drink in the hotel so it did have an effect on our holiday.

1  Thank Midlandbeau
Reviewed May 11, 2008

I stayed here many times in the old days when it was a Holiday Inn, and after a thorough renovation by Hilton, I’m pleased to report that it’s as delightful as ever. The rooms – all newly remodeled -- have superb views and windows that open (a feature I enjoy in this mild climate). Unfortunately, most of the rooms have connecting doors, which can lead to noise, although I asked for and received a room that had no connecting door.

What I particularly like about this hotel is its perfect location, where the neighborhoods of Chinatown, North Beach, and the Financial District all come together. There are parts of San Francisco where I would walk at night and parts where I wouldn’t, and this hotel is in the area that is relatively safe at all hours.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank saskatoonguy
Reviewed May 1, 2008

I visit San Francisco from time to time, and my company has recently relocated our office in the city to a location near this hotel - and I just completed my first stay there.

When I got to the hotel I was very pleased with the visual experience - the hotel is lovely, and the bell staff through the entire stay was a pleasure.

It was a strange visit though. As I unpacked in my room I looked out the window and saw a view I know I had seen before. I figured it was just deja-vu, because the only time I had ever been in this area before it was ten years ago, and I had stayed at the Holiday Inn - and that place was SO bad that I checked out the second night. It was bad on a grand scale - like huge hotel awful bad.

It wasn't until the next night when I was talking to the bell desk guys that it hit me - I was looking at the same view because I was in the same physical building! If you ever stayed at the awful old Holiday Inn, I highly recommend stopping by the Hilton - the renovation is nothing short of miraculous. I chatted at length with the hotel staff during my stay about it - many of them had worked at the hotel when it was a Holiday Inn, and they all found it amusing that I hadn't realized for a full day that I was in the same place.

My only ding against the hotel was that the service was a bit off. When I checked in, the front-desk manager asked me why I had requested foam pillows (I do so because I'm allergic to feathers). She then let me know that I should add that to my profile, because they normally don't honor the request unless it is clearly called out that the person has allergies. She promptly called the room staff to rotate my pillows and make my room "feather free" - but this was never done. Also, the last evening I was there the staff failed to pick up my breakfast card from the door, and I didn't realize this until I had expected my breakfast. To their credit, they had me breakfast in the room within 6 minutes from me calling down - sans toast - but it was a good effort nonetheless.

While the service was a bit uneven, it was a very pleasant stay, and I will definitely be back. The staff was very friendly across the board - among the friendliest I've seen in a Hilton this large. The views are still great, and the rooms are fresh, clean, and comfortable.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank jcolem2000
Reviewed April 30, 2008

good location for people working in the financial district or even tourist. hotel is in china town. below the average hilton in service.

• Stayed: February 2008
2  Thank n6877
Reviewed April 29, 2008

On my short trip (three nights) to San Francisco, my husband took me to the hotel that he has stayed in often while on business there. I can see why he likes the place. The Hilton, Financial District is in a convenient part of the city right next to China Town, and a pleasant 20 minute walk down to Fisherman's Wharf.

We had a very comfortable room, with normal Hilton amenities and a nice view over to the harbour.

Parking was quite expensive, so we used the underground parking building right accross the road, which was about half the price of the Hiltons.

I am quite happy to stay there again, and stayed at two more Hiltons during this trip, knowing the standard of accommodation would be good.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple