“Great location in the heart of the city”

Hilton San Francisco Financial District
Ranked #79 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 19, 2013

This is my second stay at the Hilton SF Financial district. The staff is incredibly helpful, and the location is prime. Walking distance to the financial district, Market ST, Chinatown, North Beach. So no shortage of great restaurants and sites nearby. As a Hilton Honors member, I was greeting immediately and received a wonderful upgrade. My room had a view of Coit Tower, Alcatraz and North Beach. Slightly noisy being in the heart of the city, but ear plugs were provided in the room, although I didn't need to use them. The staff was amazing, helpful at every contact point. Highly recommended.

1  Thank KenzerCT
Dir_of_Front_Office, Front Office Manager at Hilton San Francisco Financial District, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

We, sincerely, appreciate you! Thank you for the scores and comments about our staff. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

My husband had a conference at this hotel and I went along for the trip. The room was on the small side but comfortable for our 4-night stay. I enjoyed sitting at the credenza in front of the large window even though the view from our room wasn't great. It was pleasant to have sun streaming in and watching the street below. The beds were comfortable. The hotel's wi-fi was readily available. There a few issues with the room: the bathroom door didn't close all the way and the carpet in front of the credenza was worn and had a tear (that was a surprise -I would not expect that in a Hilton hotel).

You can hear voices from the adjacent rooms - the sound is loudest by the windows. It was background noise for the most part and was an issue only 1 of the 4 nights. The hotel did provide ear plugs so they must be aware of the noise issue. We were in a room with a connecting door (we try to avoid that, requested another room and were willing to pay for an upgrade but none were available.) There were no occupants in the connecting room for 3 of our 4 nights. The night it was occupied was a problem. The occupants came in very late (2am) and brought several guests with them. They were extremely loud - cheering, yelling, banging into the walls and door, etc. We called the front desk and within 20 minutes hotel staff arrived and most of the occupants left. Some of them returned at 4am and seemed to be making an attempt to keep the noise down but it was still quite noisy in our room. The ear plugs helped but didn't block all of the noise.

My husband and I enjoy walking around San Francisco and the location is perfect for trips to the Embarcadero or Union Square - plus it's across the street from Chinatown! You can't beat that. We walked to lunch and dinner most days and found great restaurants close by. You don't need a car to find dining or shopping.

We arrived later in the evening our first night and ordered room service. The food was delivered promptly, it was warm and very good the server was quite friendly and accommodating. That was our only meal in the hotel as there did not seem to be anything but room service available during our stay. There was a coffee bar/cocktail bar as you entered the lobby, but no one was available in the mornings to order any type of breakfast. We were out of the hotel for cocktail hour so I don't know if there was service then. There was a restaurant in the lobby and food was served there to 'private parties'. My impression was that it is usually available to hotel guests, but it was not during our stay. There was a breakfast cart outside the hotel, but it was closed two of the days we were there. It was frustrating to have to leave the hotel to find breakfast. My husband's conference group was served breakfast at the conference, but other hotel guests had to leave the building or order room service. Additionally, there was supposed to be a 'store' in the lobby for incidentals, but I couldn't find it. There were items in cabinets on the wall but no one there to assist you. Fortunately, there was a Walgreen's close by.

I would stay there again based on the location, but not for a stay longer than a few days. The inconveniences would begin to override the advantages.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank edamamel

We thank you for sharing this valuable feedback. I assure you that our team will review our offerings from the Sevenfifty Restaurant to Flyte Coffee and Wine Bar. On behalf of our staff, I, sincerely, apologize for any inconvenience that we caused. Our team hopes that you will return and stay with us again.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

I stayed here for the first time last week and was very impressed. The staff, from the bellmen, to the front desk agents, to the room service servers and waitstaff, were very accommodating. My room was big, with a great bay view and comfortable beds.

I had room service a couple of times and it arrived hot and on time, and actually quite good. The lounge offered a nice evening atmosphere for drinks with colleagues, and hot starbucks mochas and pastries in the morning,

Tip: Bring and HDMI cord and and you can hook your laptop up to the tv by way of a desktop device. I had no issues streaming netflix on the hotel's wi-fi.

Room Tip: I stayed right next to the elevator, but couldn't hear it from my room. Bay view rooms are great...
1  Thank raingurl

We are very thankful for the generous scores and comments. Our staff appreciates you. Please come back and stay with us again.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

We chose this hotel because it was rated 4 star and we were hoping to get away for a romantic Valentines weekend. We ordered a king size room. When we checked in the front desk employee said "sorry we see your reservation is for a king size room but we are giving you two SINGLE beds". And these are truly single beds. The room feels like a college dorm. I don't know who would call this a four star.

They also told us it was because tomorrow night was too booked - so that means that they are booting us to single beds for our entire stay so someone else can have our king bed room tomorrow night. They tried to compensate us with free wireless (which goes in and out) and breakfast, but I would much rather have the room I reserved and paid for. Oh well. Now we know not to stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jennyross7

Thank you for your review. I apologize that you were not happy with your room assignment during your recent holiday trip. We strive to accommodate all reservations but occasionally cannot meet every room request. We hope you will consider giving us a second chance if you return to the area.

Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

Hilton is one of my top flags that I use, but this hotel is just tired. Location is okay, but on the fringe between financial district and china town. Okay hotel, but needs renovation.

The elevators are horrible - long waits. I have stayed here a few times, and that is typical for me.

There are better options in San Fran.

• Stayed: February 2013

We are saddend that our service and accommodations fell below our standard. On behalf of our staff, I, sincerely, apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced. We hope that you will return to our hotel and give us another chance.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Buried in Chinatown but just two blocks from the heart of things: a really excellent Hilton, with marvelous beer & wine selection and quite excellent food - in the dining room or at the bar. Very helpful personnel.....and great Chinese restaurants (e.g., R&G Lounge) and coffee bars (La Boulange) nearby...as well as Old St Mary's Catholic Cathedral.

1  Thank johnnydogmatic
Dir_of_Front_Office, Front Office Manager at Hilton San Francisco Financial District, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2013

Thank you for the generous scores! We are very happy that you enjoyed the location, service, and accommodations. We appreciate you! Please come back and stay with us again.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

We always get our own room when we travel but a friend talked us into sharing a room on this trip. Big mistake. The bathroom doesn't have a real door, it has a sliding door that sits several inches away from the wall so there is a big gap between the doorway and the door. Worse yet, the doorway is wider than the door so you're always on public display and if anybody opens the door into the room then anybody walking down the hall can see right into the bathroom. I really don't understand why the hotel management thinks this is an acceptable situation. If you are not intimately acquainted with someone, don't share a room with them at this hotel. On the plus side the staff was very friendly and helpful and the view was like a postcard. It's in a great location but I shouldn't have to use the bathroom in the lobby just to get some privacy.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

We thank you for your kind score, especially in light of the issue noted. On behalf of our staff, I, sincerely, apologize for the inconveniences caused. I assure you that we are closely monitoring the feedback of our guests. We hope that you will return and give our hotel another chance in the future.