“Decent Hotel for Business, Fitness Room is a Disaster!”

Hilton San Francisco Financial District
Ranked #80 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 6, 2013

The convenience factor on this hotel is high. It’s in the heart of San Francisco…basically in China town, and convenient to many business and tourist attractions. The rooms are in decent shape, though a little worn. No bells and whistles here, just a somewhat dated Hilton property in the middle of the city. You do get some good views of the city from your room. Front desk staff was friendly and helpful. My complaint about this hotel is the horrible condition of its fitness center:

1. Too small and cramped for a hotel of this size.
2. About half the exercise machines in the room were in need of some kind of repair
3. Tthe exercise machines had built in televisions, but many could not pick up any t.v. channels
4. Not very clean

I have stayed at much smaller, less expensive hotels that had better fitness rooms and equipment. They basically need to scrap their fitness facility and start all over again in a larger room with new treadmills, bikes and ellipticals.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Dir_of_Front_Office, Front Office Manager at Hilton San Francisco Financial District, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2013

We thank you for submitting a guest review. On behalf of our staff, I, sincerely, apologize for any inconvenience that we caused. I assure you that we are taking appropriate steps to improve the fitness center. We hope that you will choose to return and give us another chance.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,853)

Reviewed February 6, 2013

I stayed here for work and the hotel was nice--typical higher end Hilton. Welcoming lobby, nice rooms, comfy beds, other amenities. The staff was pleasant as well. There is also a spa (TRU) that is in the hotel that has great rates. That's a bonus. The only issue I have is that the street noise is really loud. I was on the 21st floor. They had ear plugs on the nightstand which at first I thought was odd but I actually had to use them! Yikes. I've stayed a lot of places in San Fran so I'm not sure what was going on. I sense it may be the location--they border China town so there were a lot of truck noises. Almost all night.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

We appreciate you. Thank you for submitting a review. Our hotel is in the middle of replacing our windows with triple glazed windows that will shield our guests from the city noise outside. We hope that you will choose to stay with us again.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

I loved this place. Huge room, view of SF, right next to China Town, super friendly and helpful staff, extremely comfortable, lots of thought put toward the customer's convenience and comfort. I wasn't thrilled with the food from dining room/room service.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Thank you, thank you! We appreciate your very kind comments. Please come back and stay with us again!

Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with a friend for a getaway weekend. The staff were delightful and quite helpful. The rooms were small but comfortable and well appointed. Each room had an easy chair and ottoman, a good reading light, a large desk with task lighting, and a king bed with five pillows.

The hotel is just on the edge of Chinatown and is close to some great restaurants, trolley and bus lines. The bellmen and concierge were great about directions and suggestions. The Tru spa, located in the hotel, was able to fit me in for a great facial on a moment's notice!

This was a great weekend and the Hilton was a great place to stay. Ask for an odd-numbered room to get a view of the bay.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank jacqueet
Dir_of_Front_Office, Front Office Manager at Hilton San Francisco Financial District, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

You just made our day! Thank you, thank you for the kind comments about our hotel. We appreciate you! Please return again to stay with us.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

What most impressed me about my spacious room in this hotel was the large window desk with a view over North Beach and the San Francisco Bay. For a business traveler the numerous technology features, such as several conveniently located power outlets and a media dock for turning the flat screen TV into a large monitor for various digital devices, are a definite plus and certainly made my stay more efficient. Several inviting but reasonable restaurants and a couple of corner markets are only steps away from the hotel. Bus service is convenient, but I only wish it were a bit closer than a good 10-minute walk to the nearest BART station.

Room Tip: A high room on the east side of the hotel will give you the best views of the Bay and the Financial...
2  Thank geisslerm

We appreciate you! Thank you for taking time to submit your feedback. We hope that you will come back and stay with us soon.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We arrived around midday, got an instant check in and upgrade as we are Hilton hhonors customers... The room was very good, fantastic views, very clean and everything worked! The location of the hotel is perfect , within easy reach of most attractions. The staff were friendly and attentive offering us advice on what to see and how to get there... The executive lounge is very good if you are able to upgrade... It's a hotel we will return to

Room Tip: High floors have a wonderful view of the city...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DorsetUKPaul
Dir_of_Front_Office, Front Office Manager at Hilton San Francisco Financial District, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2013

It was our pleasure to have you as our guest. Thank you for the generous scores and wonderful comments. Please come back soon!

Reviewed January 22, 2013

My son and I had a three day stay over MLK weekend. On the plus side, staff were friendly, breakfast was decent, rooms were clean and the bed was comfortable. The major negative was the noise level of the hotel. The walls are paper thin so you can hear all interior noises. I should have been worried when I saw the packet of ear plugs that were provided on the bed side table. Every morning at around 7.30am we could hear music coming from the Tai Chi exercises in Chinatown. This noise was annoying but quite melodic and something I could live with. What really upset me was the subsequent unanticipated "construction" noise. I received a notice that carpet laying would take place on the 9th floor from 10am-6pm. on the Sunday. We were right below on the 8th floor. My son needed to sleep-in as he was in an athletic tournament with a late match. I requested a change in rooms and was accommodated to the 18th floor. While at the front desk I saw a note that said, "no airline crews or Diamond members are to be placed in rooms near the 9th floor." Clearly they didn't want to inconvenience their best customers, but too bad if you're not a regular, you need to complain or they will stick it to you! Sunday on the 18th floor was fine, but on the Monday, with no notice, in our supposedly "quiet" room, major banging and drilling began at 8am. It was so loud, we couldn't stay in the room. I asked at the front desk what the noise was and was told that they were replacing the exterior windows in order to sound proof them. You can probably imagine the sound of an electric saw on steel window frames at 8am in the morning! They are clearly trying to fix the "exterior" noise problem, although I'm not sure what they can do about the interior sound issues. I had made it clear that a quiet room was a priority and yet had to endure ridiculously loud and unannounced construction noise. They informed me about the carpet laying but not the window construction. I paid approx. $230/night including taxes for my room and was offered no apology or rebate. The Hilton was a great disappointment and this experience reflects poorly on the Hilton brand.

1  Thank sdk503

We are saddened that these improvements affected your stay. I assure you that we are taking appropriate steps to prevent such failures. On behalf of our staff, I, sincerely, apologize for any inconvenience that we caused. The hotel is scheduled to complete the install of the double pane windows by mid February. We hope that you will choose to give us another chance upon returning to San Francisco.