“Good location in financial district though lots of street noise”

Hilton San Francisco Financial District
Ranked #70 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Good location in financial district though lots of street noise”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I stayed here for work and the hotel was nice--typical higher end Hilton. Welcoming lobby, nice rooms, comfy beds, other amenities. The staff was pleasant as well. There is also a spa (TRU) that is in the hotel that has great rates. That's a bonus. The only issue I have is that the street noise is really loud. I was on the 21st floor. They had ear plugs on the nightstand which at first I thought was odd but I actually had to use them! Yikes. I've stayed a lot of places in San Fran so I'm not sure what was going on. I sense it may be the location--they border China town so there were a lot of truck noises. Almost all night.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dir_of_Front_Office, Front Office Manager at Hilton San Francisco Financial District, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
We appreciate you. Thank you for submitting a review. Our hotel is in the middle of replacing our windows with triple glazed windows that will shield our guests from the city noise outside. We hope that you will choose to stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (726)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I loved this place. Huge room, view of SF, right next to China Town, super friendly and helpful staff, extremely comfortable, lots of thought put toward the customer's convenience and comfort. I wasn't thrilled with the food from dining room/room service.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you, thank you! We appreciate your very kind comments. Please come back and stay with us again!
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with a friend for a getaway weekend. The staff were delightful and quite helpful. The rooms were small but comfortable and well appointed. Each room had an easy chair and ottoman, a good reading light, a large desk with task lighting, and a king bed with five pillows.

The hotel is just on the edge of Chinatown and is close to some great restaurants, trolley and bus lines. The bellmen and concierge were great about directions and suggestions. The Tru spa, located in the hotel, was able to fit me in for a great facial on a moment's notice!

This was a great weekend and the Hilton was a great place to stay. Ask for an odd-numbered room to get a view of the bay.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank jacqueet
Dir_of_Front_Office, Front Office Manager at Hilton San Francisco Financial District, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
You just made our day! Thank you, thank you for the kind comments about our hotel. We appreciate you! Please return again to stay with us.
Sacramento, California
Reviewed January 26, 2013

What most impressed me about my spacious room in this hotel was the large window desk with a view over North Beach and the San Francisco Bay. For a business traveler the numerous technology features, such as several conveniently located power outlets and a media dock for turning the flat screen TV into a large monitor for various digital devices, are a definite plus and certainly made my stay more efficient. Several inviting but reasonable restaurants and a couple of corner markets are only steps away from the hotel. Bus service is convenient, but I only wish it were a bit closer than a good 10-minute walk to the nearest BART station.

Room Tip: A high room on the east side of the hotel will give you the best views of the Bay and the Financial...
2 Thank geisslerm
We appreciate you! Thank you for taking time to submit your feedback. We hope that you will come back and stay with us soon.
Dorset, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We arrived around midday, got an instant check in and upgrade as we are Hilton hhonors customers... The room was very good, fantastic views, very clean and everything worked! The location of the hotel is perfect , within easy reach of most attractions. The staff were friendly and attentive offering us advice on what to see and how to get there... The executive lounge is very good if you are able to upgrade... It's a hotel we will return to

Room Tip: High floors have a wonderful view of the city...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DorsetUKPaul
Dir_of_Front_Office, Front Office Manager at Hilton San Francisco Financial District, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
It was our pleasure to have you as our guest. Thank you for the generous scores and wonderful comments. Please come back soon!
Greenwich, Connecticut
Reviewed January 22, 2013

My son and I had a three day stay over MLK weekend. On the plus side, staff were friendly, breakfast was decent, rooms were clean and the bed was comfortable. The major negative was the noise level of the hotel. The walls are paper thin so you can hear all interior noises. I should have been worried when I saw the packet of ear plugs that were provided on the bed side table. Every morning at around 7.30am we could hear music coming from the Tai Chi exercises in Chinatown. This noise was annoying but quite melodic and something I could live with. What really upset me was the subsequent unanticipated "construction" noise. I received a notice that carpet laying would take place on the 9th floor from 10am-6pm. on the Sunday. We were right below on the 8th floor. My son needed to sleep-in as he was in an athletic tournament with a late match. I requested a change in rooms and was accommodated to the 18th floor. While at the front desk I saw a note that said, "no airline crews or Diamond members are to be placed in rooms near the 9th floor." Clearly they didn't want to inconvenience their best customers, but too bad if you're not a regular, you need to complain or they will stick it to you! Sunday on the 18th floor was fine, but on the Monday, with no notice, in our supposedly "quiet" room, major banging and drilling began at 8am. It was so loud, we couldn't stay in the room. I asked at the front desk what the noise was and was told that they were replacing the exterior windows in order to sound proof them. You can probably imagine the sound of an electric saw on steel window frames at 8am in the morning! They are clearly trying to fix the "exterior" noise problem, although I'm not sure what they can do about the interior sound issues. I had made it clear that a quiet room was a priority and yet had to endure ridiculously loud and unannounced construction noise. They informed me about the carpet laying but not the window construction. I paid approx. $230/night including taxes for my room and was offered no apology or rebate. The Hilton was a great disappointment and this experience reflects poorly on the Hilton brand.

1 Thank sdk503
We are saddened that these improvements affected your stay. I assure you that we are taking appropriate steps to prevent such failures. On behalf of our staff, I, sincerely, apologize for any inconvenience that we caused. The hotel is scheduled to complete the install of the double pane windows by mid February. We hope that you will choose to give us another chance upon returning to San Francisco.
Sacramento, California, United States
Reviewed January 19, 2013

The Hilton was centrally located with walking distance to Union Square, North Beach, and of course Chinatown!! Definitely will stay here again on my next overnight visit to San Francisco!!! Went to see the Lion King at the Orpheum with friends and they recommended the Hilton. Glad they did. Great restaurants in walking distance and if you ate too much, that's ok cause you are gonna walk it off looking at all the great San Francisco sites. Must stay!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Soo K
We are very thankful for the kind remarks. Thank you! Please return soon. We appreciate you!