“mesmerizing views and helpful staff”

Hilton San Francisco Financial District
Ranked #81 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 13, 2012

We had a Bayview King reserved for a week stay. however, since we arrived at 2 a.m.understandably space was limited. nonetheless, upon check in we were assigned a Bay view room with double beds. given the hour of arrival, it was pleasing to get the terrific view, although the room was a bit cramped with two beds and a mini couch. Still it was a nice room -recently renovated with a pleasant decor. 2 double beds, a room - wide desk at the window,and a mini couch. the water view was lovely from the 20th floor although there was a building to the left which compromised it somewhat.

After 4 nights, we were relocated to a Bay View King on floor 25 It was well worth the re location. The King room is considerably more spacious due to the better configuration of the
furniture:
One bed, one mini couch, comfortable easy chair with hassock, desk chair, room wide desk at the window. this was the best feature as the view from floor 25 was outstanding. We could compare the difference. Who knew what a difference the 5 floors could make. It was a panoramic, glorious view. Thus much time was spent gazing at COIT tower on Telegraph Hill,
Alcatraz Island, San Francisco Bay and East Bay.Zhe room was renovated in a high quality way. Good quality carpets and linens, a great automatic toilet lid closing fixture, granite counters. A good quality room all around.
A big compliment for the hotel is how helpful the staff were in assigning rooms. the first reassignment to the King Bay view.
As well, We got delayed by several days beyond our original reservation. This was due to Hurricane Sandy. Evelyn went out of her way to extend the number of days until we finally got a rebooked flight. She went further by rearranging the incoming arrivals so that we did not have to relocate from our perfect room. This may sound like a small matter, however, we were spending hours a day on the phone with the airline with repeated booking/cancellations/rebooking for days. So the kindness of Evelyn removing the burden of another move was big and appreciated.

this hotel is highly recommended for good quality accommodation, excellent staff assistance,extraordinary views, efficient, high quality room service, great food and beverages at Flight Wine Bar and Seven fifty restaurant. the location is where Chinatown meets Little Italy. a nice change from the Union Square area

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
MM_sanfran, Manager at Hilton San Francisco Financial District, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

I’m so glad you enjoyed your stay, and our location, service and views! I hope your return home went well in light of Hurricane Sandy. We were happy to serve as your home away from home, especially during such hard times. We hope to have you back again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,903)

Reviewed November 12, 2012

HHonors Diamond member staying on points. We had one issue that was immediately resolved by the evening manager, excellent service. We enjoyed the location, as it was neat walk through the Italian area of town to the waterfront. Would stay here again. Only recommendation - if you don't require in/out privileges for your car, park right across the street overnight. Self parking @ the hotel is $60/night. Across the street it is $27/night.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CharlesV352

Thanks for your loyalty as a Hilton HHonors Diamond member. We are happy to know you would choose to stay here again. We are looking forward to having you back.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

I'm a bay area resident, so I am familiar with the area. This hotel is located next to Chinatown and to North Beach, and within walking district to the main financial district area.

Pros:
- I got upgraded to a Bay View room on the Exec floor because of my status. The view from my room was amazing. I could see Coits Tower, the bay, and alcatraz easily (it was a clear day).
- Rooms were very clean and well oriented
- Staff was very friendly including the housekeepers who always said hi if you walked by them.
- The Hotel feels newly updated and definitely is oriented towards business folks.
- This is the only SF Hilton that has an exec lounge (which i think is silly...)

Cons:
- $50 (that is hotel discounted) is obscene in my opinion.
- Having status, we were told there would be waters in the room for us. They only had the pay ones...
- If you stay on a Saturday night on the Bay view side, it is LOUD. I mean REALLY loud. I saw that there were earplugs on the side table, which I thought was odd (especially because this is a 2 person room, why weren't there 2?). Starting at 11pm until 2:30, I could hear everything. I felt as though I wasn't on the 23rd floor, but instead in a room above a club with loud laughing people. I think that the hotel should have a note about this in the room or let those that are moved to a Bay view room, you should be warned. This was not mentioned to me at all, and if it had I would have chosen to not upgrade so I could sleep through the night.
- the Air/AC in our room stopped working at 11pm at night. Didn't matter what i set, the air didn't move. Being in my PJs, I didn't want to call someone then. It had worked fine the night before...

So as I said, the hotel is nice, upgraded, but be warned on the noise if you are a light sleeper.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank cdrennan

Thank you for such constructive feedback. We hope you will give us a second chance, and please don’t hesitate to let us know if there is anything we can do to make your stay more comfortable while you are still on property.

Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for vacation with my husband. It was clean. Rooms are small. Our view on the 8th floor was of the roofs of some buildings. There are ear plugs on night stand because during the week the school playground on the roof next door is very loud in the morning. The location of this hotel is at the end of financial district with a sky walk to Chinatown and a few blocks from North Beach. We weren't in the room much so it was a fine place to sleep and change.

• Stayed: November 2012

Thank you for your comments. I hope you will return again and give us a chance to truly wow you, and turn your 3 stars review into 5 stars!

Reviewed November 11, 2012

An OK hotel. Reasonable location but not central. Good for Chinatown. Very business orientated. The coffee shop was OK but for some reason the restaurant was never open. Didn't matter there was a huge choice within walking distance. Rooms were clean. Service was attentive and friendly. Used points so can't comment on value.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thanks for your feedback. I’m sorry you didn’t get a chance to visit 750 Restaurant & Bar. Should you return, please note the restaurant is only closed at lunchtime on weekdays. As an alternative, Flyte Beer & Wine Bar and The Coffee Shack are open, and have a hearty number of lunchtime options. We hope to have you back again soon.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

I've reviewed this hotel previously as I stay at it frequently as a business traveler - I think it a great hotel for the business traveler if your business is in San Francisco's Financial District - see my previous review regarding this.

This trip my wife and I used the hotel as our starting point for a driving trip up the Northern Califoria coast. We had a Balcony King room on the top floor with a Bay View. You couldn't ask for a better view and having the balcony to sit on, have a sip of wine and some cheeze and fruit from the HHonors lounge set a very romantic start to our trip.

While we did not use any of the hotel's facilities, we found it an ideal location to use as a starting point for most of our sight seeing and evenings out. As I described in my experience as a business traveler, the staff here is first rate and the hotel is spotless. This is not the 4 Seasons or the Ritz - but it is a solid 3+ to 4- property with nice rooms (baths are a little on the small side) that is very good value for very expensive San Francisco.

For the tourist it is right on the edge of China town, fifteen minute walk to South Beach, the Embarcadero and Ferry building, South of Market Restaurants and a quick cab or BART ride to Union Square.

Room Tip: If you are going to get a bay view room, ensure that it is on a high floor. The balcony rooms are o...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
MM_sanfran, Manager at Hilton San Francisco Financial District, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

I’m so happy to hear you are a frequent guest. Thank you for your loyalty. What a great idea to enjoy the balcony with treats from our Executive Lounge. It truly does sound like the start of a wonderful trip. Next time you are here, I hope you will get a chance to try some of our facilities including the restaurant, wine bar, fitness center and spa. Thanks again, and we hope to have you back again soon.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel numerous times over the past few years and each and every time it's been a pleasure. Always a quick check-in and room is always clean. It's a great place to stay if you're planning on staying out all night in SF and need a place to crash, that's what I use it for. Right down the street from the Northbeach Area so if you're out drinking in that area you don't even need a cab to take you home, just walk down. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Thanks for recommending us. I am so glad you enjoyed our property, and its proximity to North Beach. We hope to have you back again soon.