“Nicer by a Nose”

GreenLeadersBronze level
DC
“Nicer by a Nose”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I just completed a two night stay for business in San Francisco, and spent one night at the Hilton San Francisco Financial District and one night at Westin San Francisco Market Street. I think the Hilton wins by a nose,but it was a close call.

On the location side, the Westin is a bit more convenient for my purposes. Both are walkable from the BART, but the Westin was much closer. On the other hand, the Hilton is pretty much in Chinatown, which made for some interesting dinner choices right outside the door.

Check in took a while- the lobby was busy, and the line moved slowly. I am a Diamond member of the Hilton program, but it did not make much of a difference checking in, or with the room. I was hoping for some sort of upgrade, but all I could get was a regular room on a lower floor with a view of brick walls and the alley. I did get free internet access, and access to the lounge.

The lounge was not as nice as the Marriott or some of the Sheraton lounges, which usually feature some sort of hot breakfast choice. The venue was ok, though small. Breakfast consisted of breads and pastries. The espresso machine was broken, and they kept running out of coffee, but the lounge attendant was friendly.

The gym was very small, but had a lot of equipment crammed in. It did include a few weight machines, though not a full circuit.

Overall, the hotel felt clean and the room, though small., felt new.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
MM_sanfran, Manager at Hilton San Francisco Financial District, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Nicer by a nose is a good start, but we hope to make it a bridge next time! Thanks for your feedback. I shared your comments with our Executive Team, and we are working on improvements.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (733)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
North Hollywood, Ca
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Good Location and Nice Rooms

I stayed here for a few nights on a business trip in September 2012. The hotel is in a great location, next to China Town and Little Italy. The rooms are spacious, modern, and clean. Perfectly setup for business and pleasure.

There can be some noise coming in from the street if you're staying on the lower floors so they hook you up with ear plugs. I stayed on the 9th floor and did not need to use them.

Unfortunately I did not have time to check out the hotel amenities such as the lobby bar (I think they have two) or the fitness facility.

The only issue I had with the hotel was the front desk staff. They were very nice but not knowledgeable. They did allow me to check in super early at 10am but here is the downside. My company called in several times to pay for the room but yet they could not figure it out. It took a fourth try to get it right. It was a bit annoying. Also, they had no clue about the internet available in the rooms. At least the person I talked to did not. They have both wi-fi and ethernet (hardwire) for those with the same question I did.

I would give them a 4 star but making a 3 because of the paying issue.

Room Tip: The higher up the better.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Tim R
Thank you for your notes. I’m sorry to hear about your experience at the front desk. We will review these points with our team, and can only get better. I hope to have you back again soon.
La Quinta, California
Reviewed October 7, 2012

No one was going to ruin our date night in our favorite city! Not even this Hilton manager. MIchael Van. Always a smile on his face yet nothing but no no no. We took advantage of a third party booking company .....rhymes with fat tire.....as this was a last minute getaway. Never realized doing such a booking placed one into the inhospitable category Mr. Van placed us in.
Like to use our Honors number......NO
Would like a king bed.....NO
Will pay for an upgraded room.....NO
He did ask if we liked to drink....dealing with such grace...and gave us 2 free drinks. Wooohoooooo!
Bottom line is we felt we were being admonished for using such a discount site and this made us embarrassed and uncomfortable upon checkin.
But like I said...we were in the city to have fun and on our way to our favorite restaurant, The Slanted Door. No one was going to rain on our parade!

So, we went to our closet, Ooops, I mean room, to get ready for a wonderful evening. I kid you not...a double bed ( do they even offer these in hotels anymore? ) and a room so small ....a shoe cupboard for a closet...the ironing board was stored next to the TV.

I must add the room was very clean. When 2 people, one 6'2" and one 5' 8" , hire a room...one is not usually thinking a double bed will be on the roster. But we made the best of it...unfortunately the unwelcoming check in has left us vowing to NEVER stay at ANY Hilton again. Thre are a lot of options...even with fattire...you can say no to the hotel and use the money towards another.

Inhospitable, aloof and demeaning, nice smile.

Room Tip: Do not settle for the hall closet.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. Unfortunately when booking through a third party, your options are limited. I hope you will give us a second chance, and book directly with us. You will enjoy a lot more flexibility upon arrival.
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Unlike the Hilton at Farrel and Union Square, where you are lost in the crowd immediately at entrance, this Hilton property is smaller, more welcoming and at walking distance from downtown as well as the piers.
The rooms are spatious and to the standards one expects from the Hilton.
The club lounch is on the 26th floor, but needs rethinking; looks more like a small cafetaria where the expresso machine was out of order my entire stay.
During breakfast the lounch is understaffed and it takes a while before tables get cleaned creating confusion for new guests arriving.
You have to be prepared to talk to machines, be that to talk to someone at the front desk or to order room service. You will be called back within the promissed time, but I can imagine that if English is not your first language it may be a challenge.
Some staff talk with a very strong accent and are at times hard to understand or fail to understand you, so some hilarious moments are to be expected.....smile !
I still rate the hotel very good because of the overall experience !

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
I’m glad you found our property to be just the right size. Thanks for your notes regarding service and the Executive Lounge. We are following up, and hope to exceed your expectations next time.
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed October 2, 2012

A block from Chinatown, three blocks to North Beach and a five minute walk to the Ferry Building-plus walkable distance to Union Square, makes this a great choice if you are touring San Francisco. It's a cross between a hotel catering to business travelers and sightseers - especially during a "crossover" day like Friday which can make the lobby very busy-but the staff does a good job of trying to address all segments. The rooms are standard Hilton - comfortable beds and standard size. In other reviews, people have commented on the restaurant(s) in the hotel not being open at convenient times, but honestly, with the variety of choices just outside the door, not sure why that would be a concern.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Soccer2Mom
MM_sanfran, Manager at Hilton San Francisco Financial District, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Thanks for your comments. We graciously welcome both business and leisure travelers. I hope you had a chance to try our restaurant. Business travelers enjoy our weekday power lunch buffet, and leisure travelers linger at our Champagne & Jazz Sunday Brunch. We’ll see you next time!
London
Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for a week in September on business. A very large hotel a bit off the beaten track even though it is right on the edge of Chinatown. It is a 10 minute walk to Union Square and a 15 minute walk down to the Ferry Building on The Embarcadero. The hotel lacked any real character but the staff were very friendly and helpful. I had a King room on the 18th floor which was a good size with usual comfortable bed, loads of pillows and good linens. Huge desk stretching from one wall to the other, looking out the window, which was great to work at. Numerous power sockets too. Wireless was not free. Next to the bed resting on the base of the bedside light was a small pack of new earplugs. I thought being 18 floors up would mean it would be relatively quiet - understanding that San Francisco is a lively city. Unfortunately night one street noise continued to about 4am and the old metal windows did little to cut out the noise, so I spent the week with ear plugs fully operational. Light sleepers be warned. Le Meridien on Battery St I find is a better all round hotel but that little more expensive.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thanks for your feedback. I’m sorry to hear you felt we lacked character. I hope the view from your guest room and our friendly service helped make up for it. Next time you are here, stop by our gift shop for a traditional Chinese tea tasting for a truly unique experience full of character. Thanks again.
Hanford
Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

Stayed one night and found our rooms to be clean and very comfortabel. We really didn't spend to much time at the hotel, but everyone we came into contact with was very friendly, helpfull, and professional. The hotel was one block from the center of China Town, and a short walk to the cable cars. Once again the rooms were very well laid out, and the view amazing. As Hilton Gold members we had access to the lounge for breakfast. There was an excellent selection, and a hot item as well. I will definately be staying here again.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank lizziebillHanford
Thanks for staying with us. I’m happy to hear you had such a great experience, and had a chance to enjoy the Executive Lounge. We look forward to your return.