“Nice hotel”

Hilton San Francisco Financial District
Ranked #79 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We have been staying at Hilton hotels exclusively and thought this was another good trip. We stayed in the top floor executive bay balcony suite. This was a nice room with a awesome view. We tried to use the special executive room on the 26th floor but for some reason the key didn't work. We could have complained but figured it wasn't worth it. Will probably stay again if we are in San Fran again.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
MM_sanfran, Manager at Hilton San Francisco Financial District, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Thanks for your feedback. I’m sorry to hear you couldn’t access the Executive Lounge. If you decide to stay with us again and book an Executive guest room, please let us know if you have any problems accessing the Lounge. With complimentary appetizers and WiFi, it’s definitely worth it!

Reviewed August 27, 2012

Pros:
1. Right on the border of Chinatown, walking distance to Union Square and all the great restaurants by the Stinking Rose.
2. Only SF Hilton (as far as I was told) to have a Lounge for Hilton Honors which had a great breakfast and snacks/drinks throughout the day.
3. Hop On/Hop Off bus tour stopped right in front of the hotel
4. Good wine bar
5. Decent rooms
6. Very helpful concierge desk in the lobby

Cons:
1. Small rooms but nice
2. Decent gym but no bathroom - so you essentially have to take the elevator to your room or lobby in the middle of a workout
3. Elevators take forever
4. Hallways need to be redone so you can tell the hotel is a bit dated
5. No pool for the kids

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your feedback. I’m sorry to hear our amenities missed the mark on some of your expectations. Hopefully the pros you listed will bring you back to visit again soon.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

My room was on the 17th floor and it sounded like I was on the first. You know its bad when they provide you with ear plugs. It was loud based on its location, and didn't make for a great night sleep.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
David I, Manager at Hilton San Francisco Financial District, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Thank you for your feedback from you recent visit to the Hilton Financial District. I am sorry that you did not have an enjoyable experience due to the noise from the City below. We are beginning to make changes the balance of this year to severely reduce the street noise in the guest rooms. When this project is completed, hopefully you will once again choose the Hilton Financial District.

Reviewed August 25, 2012

We stayed here for 6 nights, en-route from NZ to Europe, wanting to explore San Francisco.

On the plus side:
- It was a great base to see the City, and handy to most things. We love to explore cities on foot, and the location was great for that.
- The room was very clean and very tidy given the age of the hotel.
- We booked a room with a view of the Bay, and the view was amazing and lovely to wake up to each morning.
- The beds are the usual Hilton standard, and very comfortable.
- The bell staff and concierge were very friendly, and helpful.

But now the down side:
- Despite being on the 18th floor, noise was a significant problem. The hotel is old, and the windows, which can open, are not double glazed and nor do they shut properly. The day we arrived (after a long haul night flight), we lay down in the room and endured a Chinese singer "singing" in the square opposite for hour upon hour. And, on the Friday and Saturday nights, we might as well have been in the nightclubs nearby such was the volume of the music. I know it's a city hotel in the big city, but this was truly bad. Bring ear plugs!
- We had breakfast in the hotel each morning. It wasn't great (Hilton Melbourne and Hilton Queenstown are light years better). We were on holiday so weren't rushing in the mornings. But we felt awkward when the hotel staff busily packed up the dining room around us (as if we weren't there), and re-set it for lunch, at 10:30 every morning. I realise this has to be done by the staff, but we were paying quite a high price for breakfast so some peace while we ate would've been nice.

Would we stay again? Probably not....

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review of your recent visit to the Hilton San Francisco Financial District. I am happy to read that you enjoyed the location, the views from your room and the great service you received from the Concierge and Bell Staff. As for the wiindows, we are working on a better solution to the street and are noise, and should be completed by the end of the year. I apologize for the lack of sensitivity of the restaurant team and I will be sure to bring this review up to their team meeting. Hopefully, when you plans once again calls for a SF visit you will reconsider and check out all our improvements. Again, thank you for your feedback!

Reviewed August 25, 2012

I've stayed at so many hotels in San Francisco and at many Hilton hotels. I have to say that the Hilton hotel in the San Francisco financial district is one of the best ones I've ever stayed at. I stayed there for 2 nights for a business trip and my experience has just been very great!

From the time I checked in to the time I checked out and took the hotel limo to the airport, every single person on the staff that helped me had a very professional and friendly demeanor. And I could tell that they were all very sincere and the smiles on their faces were not "forced". The room was according to what I had requested, the bed was heavenly to sleep on, and the amenities were all in great condition and what you expect out of a 5-star hotel. Room service was great as well, with a good selection of different types of dishes and great staff from those taking your order to those delivering the food up to your room.

All in all, this hotel is definitely a place that I would stay at again! I highly recommend to both business and leisure travelers!

• Stayed: August 2012

Thank you for the "5 Star" review and rating! When it is all said and done, all hotels are just 'brick and motar' and the one thing that will make a difference is Service. The hotel team works very hard at delivering the Hilton Promise and truly wants to make every guest feel special. Again, thank you for your wonderful feedback and endorsement. I hope to see you again soon, and please do ask for me so I can "Thank you" in person.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

This was a truly excellent stay with fantastic staff and pure attention to detail.

I travel for work at least a couple of times a month. Trips vary from one day to a week usually. I rack up about six months overall around the USA. San Francisco was a four night visit. This was a stay organized by myself and my assistant for 55 people for a four day conference and related meetings. From initial contact to final day we were extremely well looked after and the attention to detail made our lives immeasurably easier.

I would highly recommend the Hilton based on my stay because of their exceptional staff who were constantly on hand to deal with any query. Front desk are very customer focused and empowered to help. April, the young lady at the Flite wine bar (by reception and front door) deserves special mention for her bubbly personality and helpful attitude which made many a tired conference goer revitalize after a long day. Also for conference organizers this is a brilliant hotel. John, the Food and Beverage Manager, was attentive throughout the stay and really helped our sanity levels! Lily was our main contact (her boss had just gone on maternity leave) and she was around all the time making sure things ran smoothly. Thank you all!

The rooms are very clean and well laid out to maximize use for work or vacation. My room was by elevators/lifts so slightly nosier than others I would think but the hotel did have earplugs in the room which I thought was a nice touch. There was a fraternity party the first night which required the use of the ear plugs but subsequent nights were absolutely fine with normal street and elevator noise. I like a hard pillow but have to say i didn't check with front desk if they had any...mea culpa!

There is a gym and spa that I didn't try but the spa looked very inviting.

Internet is normally paid for (a niggle I have with all the more upmarket hotel chains plus the $3 charge for water – but best to travel with a Brita filter water bottle as far as I am concerned anyway) but I had a code which made things less annoying although I had repeat logins that were fiddly. Also nice that there was an extension cord on side of bed for all your charging needs (but you need to look under the bed!).

It is not too far from airport too and I suggest arranging Super Shuttle through internet if you do not plan to get a car. It would be $17 one way at time of writing (taxis $50 ish one way).

Location is very good in the center of tourist sites, restaurants and China Town. There are pharmacies and shops a plenty for most of what you might need. All eminently walkable.

I would also try Credo Restaurant on Pine Street and up from there is The Occidental Cigar Lounge if that is something that takes your fancy. Both have excellent staff!

Thank you Hilton for a fantastic stay!

Room Tip: Look under the bed for the extension cord to charge your devices!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
David I, Manager at Hilton San Francisco Financial District, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2012

A 5 Star Review! Thank you for the great comments and insights of your recent visit to the Hilton Financial District. Thank you also for recognizing some key people who are all exceptional in customer service, April at the Flyte Bar, John, Dir of Food & Beverage and Lily, our newest Convention Services & Sales Coordinator. I was happy to see that you enjoyed our facilities, amenities, customer service and our central location. By the way, we can get you a harder pillow to use, just call housekeeping next time. Again, thank you for your great feedback and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

I booked and paid well in advance 2 inter-connecting rooms back in June for our short 3 nights stay in SF. We arrived to the hotel just after midnight from Hawaii to be told that our reservation were not in the system. Fortunately very friendly receptionist managed to find us two rooms on different floors for the night. One of the rooms was located close to the lifts and ice machine hence we have had a very restless night due to excesive and at the time unbearable noise Tomorrow morning we were informed our reservations were found but unfortunately there were no availiable inter-connecting rooms. The best staff could do was to move oiur kids to the same floor with us. The bathroom door one of the rooms couldnt close properly creating great inconvinience for all. Both rooms also faced side and at most time very busy street. The pnly quiet time we had was betwen 2-5am. Ear plugs were necessary addition and they were availiable in every room. On a positive side the location is great, staff are friendly and the beds are comfortable, Unfortunately I wont be staying again in this hotel.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

I regret to read that your stay was not satisfactory due to a mix up in reservations. The hotel is very busy every night with late arrivals, after midnight can be difficult at times. I apologize for the mix up and we appreciate your patronage. I was please to see that you did enjoy our location and the friendly staff. Again, thank you for your feedback.