“Great benefits for Priority Club members”

Holiday Inn Civic Center (San Francisco)
Ranked #120 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great benefits for Priority Club members”
Reviewed November 11, 2005

While I agree that the quality of the rooms was a little below Holiday Inn standards, this hotel is OVERALL GREAT VALUE especially for Priority Club members. Free buffet breakfast !!!

• Stayed October 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 13, 2005

There were people screaming loudly with bullhorns every morning we were there for hours on end. Apparently this had been going on for over a year before we got there but management never said ANYTHING about it. If their employees are outside their hotel annoying guests, management owes it to the customers to say something!

• Stayed October 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Fresno
Reviewed September 10, 2005

First of all,the negative reviews on here are not justified in my opinion. Maybe I went at a decent time or something. This place was very quiet and clean and very friendly staff. There were homeless people ouside but few and far between. I saw like 5 or 6 homeless in this area and that was over 3 days time. Some people on here left such bad reviews I was scared to death to go,after seeing it for myself,I dont see what those peoples problem was. Maybe they are from small town USA and havent seen homeless before. As for the area itself,it is dirty and very much big city,but everywhere in san francisco looked like that. Fishermans wharf area,also has homeless people and is filthy,so I dont see the area of this hotel being any scarier than the tourist area. I really wish I had not read the negative reviews before hand,it made me really scared. I urge people to make a decision for themselves ,if your a scaredy cat that cant handle a guy with a cup then you better not go to san francisco at all.

Stayed September 2005
10 Thank ScrappinTay
USA
Reviewed August 18, 2005

I live in SF and stayed here in 2003 when we had a heat wave. Since residences don't typically have AC here in SF we sought refuge at this hotel, knowing it was cheap ($99) and had AC. Well, I was really suprised what a value this is. The area outside is a bit schetchy but it is very decent inside and the pool is actually pretty decent (most of the time in SF it would be too cold to use). The rooms have balconies too which was kind of fun.

The problem is you are in no mans land. You have a really long 5 big city block walk to the shopping areas and you have to walk through homeless central and all the strip joints. That's really a shame. But if you don't mind that it's a good deal. I would certainly not bring children, dainty women, or old people here. They would not be able to deal with that walk. You are only a block from Starbucks though so at least you can fortify yourself before beginning your morning hike through the homeless encampments.

Stayed June 2003
5 Thank sfchris
London
Reviewed July 31, 2005

We have travelled across USA building up the priority points and decided when we reached San Francisco to stay in a Holiday Inn. Well not what we have come to expect. For a start the reception staff are at best rude, thats when they bother to even acknowledge you are waiting. The room was good but noisy, I accept that if you stay in a city center you expect noise but this was on the thirteenth floor and was still more noisy than even New York. The restaurant was very poor again bad service and food quality was not great, we even had off milk at breakfast which I would think is one of the basics. The area was not great, although you do have good access to public transport, you have to walk past all the beggers to get to them. Although this appears to be a problem with the whole of San Francisco. If we stay in San Fran again I would stay on the Harbour side of San Fran near the piers a much better bet even if a little more money, its worth it.

• Stayed May 2005
1 Thank travellingbugs
Staffordshire, England
Reviewed June 28, 2005

We stayed at this hotel a couple of years ago on our first visit to San Francisco. I remember pulling up outside the hotel and immediately locking the doors while my mum and I waited in the car. We decided to 'dress down' when we first went out so we didn't look like tourists. We headed to a nearby burger place as we were really hungry and I remember there being a security guard on the door and the man in front of us in the queue was paying for his burger from his days takings in a styrofoam cup. As we ate our meal a drugged up/mental guy was shouting at people at random.

We then went to walk up to the nearest cable car stop. I was physically shaking because I was so scared. Everyone seemed to be high on drugs and homeless (however, the day we arrived it was a really hot day so maybe its not normally like this) We were so concerned we stopped a police officer further down the road to ask if this area was safe to walk around. He simply laughed and said 'as long as you don't venture up there at night' pointing towards our hotel!!! Maybe he was joking!!

We had a city tour booked for the following day and as confirmation (as if we needed it!) the guide as we drove through the civic centre area said 'ok, this is an area you don't wanna be!!" We were grateful to be leaving the following day.

It was such a shame really because the hotel itself and the staff were really quite nice its just the location that lets it down. For this reason I really would not recommend this hotel to anyone for that reason only. Its also because of the location of where we stayed that we now have a low opinion of San Francisco and its our least favourite American city that we would never return to. I'm sure if we'd have stayed elsewhere we'd probably have a different view.

• Stayed June 2003
4 Thank MadamMuck
St Andra-Hoech, Austria
Reviewed June 26, 2005

The hotel is great and the staff was very helpful. But the location is not very good because of many homeless people at the street.

• Stayed April 2005