The first impression of the Holiday Inn was not super- no wheelchair ramp, no easy way for us to get our luggage in and no porter at all out front. In fact, at 1300h when we arrived, no one at all helped us with all our bags.
However, the friendly, courteous and efficient service at the front desk made up for it. As a Priority Club member, the staff also made a point to recognize me and also helped gain extra IHG points!. The bellboy/porters could be very abrupt and appear uncaring. Even on leaving- they did not bother helping us with all our luggage (we had been to Bot Con in Pasadena and killed it buying Transformers).
Security measures added to this hotel include- swiping your card in prior to the lift taking you to your floor (ensuring no access via elevator for outsiders). The room itself was a relief- large room, clean, airy, smelt nice and had a small balcony where we were greeted by a hummingbird!. That was an amazing sight. Our room overlooked the pool- which was not a problem as it was closed at 2200h.
Wi-fi is complimentary and worked well during my visit. More than 2 devices could be connected at a time. Wi-fi passcode is given at check-in which saves me time from asking and very different from Starwood properties which charge you anything from $12-15 every 24 hours to have access.
The pool was good but we did not have time to use the gym. Instead, a very short walk took us to the Public Library, Civic Centre park, Asian Art Museum and City Hall. Indeed, there are very many panhandlers and homeless people in this part of town. However, one of those guys proved super helpful at the BART and helped us negotiate how to get tickets etc. I find a smile and kind word gets you through.
We did not try the hotel breakfast as we opted to do laundry- conveniently located at the 4th floor. Washing takes quarters- costs $2 and drying the same. Detergent is available in the gift shop downstairs about $1.25 and dryer fabric 0.50 a piece. It takes 35 mins to wash and 48 minutes to dry on permanent press.
Check-out was speedy and super efficient which we totally appreciate.
CONS: although i felt comfy and have been in far dodgier places, my husband felt unsafe especially at night time.
Speaking to a friend who has lived there 11 years, she explained that because of the climate and also the park in that area; most homeless will congregate there especially. Basically, the newly rich 1% in the I.T industry have displaced a lot of people from their homes- they can pay more, so landlords kick out the lower wage earners. SF has always been an expensive city so you see the poor, the mentally unwell and unlucky down and out in San Francisco.
The smell was also a turn-off for my husband. I thought Paris Metro smelled worse plus can hold my breath longer. Some of my patients smell worse so it did not bother me.
PROS: the rooms, the services,the amenities-pool, gym, laundry, the location- close to trams, buses, BART and MUNI. Walking distance to Market area, UN Plaza and Civic Centre. Free Wi-fi!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Holiday Inn Civic Center Hotel is a full service hotel located in the San Francisco Performing Arts and Government District. Our hotel location is just steps from City Hall, Orpheum Theater, San Francisco Opera and Ballet, Davies Symphony Hall and Asian Art Museum. Guests at the Holiday Inn Civic Center Hotel San Francisco will enjoy our complimentary Wireless Internet access throughout the hotel, free HBO, outdoor heated pool and sundeck, fitness center, and on site laundry facilities. Drinks and dining are available at the 50onEighth Restaurant/Lounge. Major Credit Cards are required at check in. Indoor parking offered for $37 plus tax per day if driving in from either the San Francisco SFO or Oakland OAK airports or if traveling through the Bay Area and exploring the California Pacific Coast by car. Antique trolley cars provide convenient transportation to nearby Union Square, Chinatown, Moscone Convention Center, Fisherman s Wharf and Pier 39 attractions. Or catch the subway to the AT&T Ballpark, home to the San Francisco Giants baseball team. With our 100% customer satisfaction, we look forward to welcoming you to the Holiday Inn Civic Center Hotel. We hope to be your home away from home each and every time you visit the San Francisco Bay Area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, IHG, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Ctrip TA, Priceline, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelsClick and HRS so you can book your Holiday Inn Civic Center (San Francisco) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Civic Center (San Francisco) Hotel San Francisco
- Holiday Inn San Francisco
- San Francisco Holiday Inn