“Not that bad”

Holiday Inn Civic Center (San Francisco)
Ranked #123 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

Stayed during weekend for relatives wedding. Nice rooms and staff very friendly and helpful. Not that good of a location for walking but had no problems. Taxis are sometimes hard to get. Did not partake in the restaurant.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LDOEMO
HolidayInn_SFCC, Assistant to GM at Holiday Inn Civic Center (San Francisco), responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

We are happy to know you enjoyed your stay for your relatives wedding, particularly your guest room and friendly staff. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We sincerely appreciate being given the privilege of hosting your stay and we hope to have another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Reviewed April 8, 2014

Got upgarded to King Bed when i asked for it. Mattress could be better, overall everything was clean and in order. Until Monday morning, we were woken up by thundering noise from the construction work across the hotel, but we werent disturbed at all during weekend. I was wondering why there were ear plugs on the night table.

On the second night I was sitting on the lobby doing my work on my iphone and suddenly I was approached by security who asked me if I was a guest and asking me what I was doing which was none of his business at all. I told him who I was and asked why he asked me such question, and he said he was told by his boss to question my presence. I found it a bit insulting since there are others who just sit around inside the lobby and none of them was approached.

The area around the hotel is quite shady at night, I wouldn't walk around by myself in the hood late at night. Location is great just few block away to union square, shops and theatre, it is also nearby BART station and tram/bus stop. Very convenient without having to pay heaps of money!

All in all you really get what you are paying for, no luxury but OK and matched my expectation.

Room Tip: if you are staying for the weekend ... any room should be fine. If you are staying during the week...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
HolidayInn_SFCC, Administrative Assistant at Holiday Inn Civic Center (San Francisco), responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2014

Holiday Inn San Francisco Civic Center is pleased you enjoyed your upgrade. Much of downtown San Francisco is experiencing new developments with the revitalization of local neighborhoods, but we apologize for the noise. We are currently working on upgrading the sliding glass doors in all of our guest rooms as we speak! Samples are being installed in a few of our rooms within the next couple of weeks so we may evaluate the best options for our hotel. We look forward to being able to present visitors with enhanced windows in the near future.

As part of our daily guest services and security procedures Holiday Inn Civic Center does engage with visitors to be of assistance and stay informed of on goings on our property. We regret if you felt singled out. We will reflect on your experience to evaluate our hotel best practices for guest interactions to ensure they better exhibit our positive intentions. We appreciate your feedback and hope you will give us another opportunity to earn your confidence in our commitment to guest satisfaction.

Reviewed April 2, 2014

Great service - friendly & knowledgeable staff. Area is a little down-at-heel with plenty of homeless and disadvantaged on streets; a little shocking for western Europeans who take some level of social care for granted. Room was recently redecorated and was nicely finished, the only downside was the un-renovated sliding external door onto balcony/ledge which was poorly fitting and hence draughty and let street noise in, so hotel kindly left 'sleep amenities' (earplugs). That said, got a great rate so would probably stay again.

Room Tip: Go high to avoid street noise; try for upgrade to get rooms with better outside doors (perhaps.)
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
HolidayInn_SFCC, Administrative Assistant at Holiday Inn Civic Center (San Francisco), responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2014

Holiday Inn Civic Center is pleased to have provided great service and a great rate to a valued guest. We hear your concern and are currently looking into retrofitting our guest room sliding glass doors. Your patronage is appreciated and we do hope you will consider us for future accommodations.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

I am staying at the hotel now. I arrived after flying across the country, and it was only 11:30am. I was greeted by the nicest lady, Ana, and she went out of her way (seriously) to get me checked in. Better service than I have gotten at some RItz-Carlton properties. Plus, I got an upgrade to a really nice Executive Level room.

While the location is a little bit away from the center of the city as others have correctly noted, it's half a block's walk from the UN/Civic Center BART Station. Very easy to get to from the airport.

The lobby is calm and inviting, and the room is really nice--obviously recently redone. It's quiet, and the beds are dreamy. Triple sheeted, too--I didn't expect such nice bedding in a 3-star hotel. Spacious room, good-sized bathroom, especially for a large-city hotel, and nice soaking tub.

This is my first stay in SF, and I'm already sold on this little gem. Here on business this time, but I'll probably stay here when I come back for leisure.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
HolidayInn_SFCC, Administrative Assistant at Holiday Inn Civic Center (San Francisco), responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Thank you for your five star review! Holiday Inn San Francisco Civic Center believes that stay rate does not always imply level of service nor quality of accommodations. We seek to provide great value and equally memorable service to our guests in upholding our brand’s commitment to create great hotels guests love. Ana is an embodiment of our caring sentiment towards our visitors and we will be sure to let her know her support was appreciated. We would be honored to welcome you back to San Francisco!

Reviewed March 28, 2014

To start with the hotel, everything seem to be clean inside and the hotel staff are very helpfull.

However the area is really thriving with homeless people staying around the hotel and so someone would feel uneasy at night.

The hotel security seems to be good keeping strangers outside the hotel.

The hotel seems to have priceline rooms, as I had booked 3 rooms and two of them where by the end of the corridors near the emergency exits and the third was next to the vending machine and ice maker, so there was noise coming from that.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends

Holiday Inn Civic Center is happy to provide clean accommodations and helpful service. We regret if your experience off property in urban downtown San Francisco was not our city’s best foot forward. As extra peace of mind for our guests, our hotel is very secure as we require an activated key card to access all facilities, elevators, and guest rooms. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to have another chance to demonstrate to your our commitment to guest satisfaction.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

I have a great stay on this hotel. All the personnel helped me a lot. Excellent beds and room service was given. The only bad part is the parking for hotel guests is not free and it is a lit bit away from the city center.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends

Holiday Inn San Francisco Civic Center is pleased to have earned your five star review! Our hotel staff seeks to provide memorable service in appreciation for the opportunity to serve our valued guests. We apologize if the parking rate was an unexpected expense as San Francisco possesses limited car storage accommodations, but we aim to offer the most value with a secure facility, unlimited in-and-out privileges, and 24 hour access. Thank you for your patronage and we hope you will keep us in mind for future accommodations.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

I stayed here twice, a few days apart, on my way in and out of San Francisco.

After spending a fortnight travelling around the country and staying at numerous hotels, by comparison this one was a bit of let down. While there is nothing "wrong" with this hotel, i found it to be nothing more than average. The rooms are average, the amenities are average and the location is..well..average.

Accommodation in San Fran is ridiculously overpriced which probably contributes to the downgrading of my review of this hotel. The same quality room at the same quality hotel in another city would be half the price.

That being said, the staff were friendly and the bed was comfy which is ultimately what you need.

It is what it is.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
HolidayInn_SFCC, Administrative Assistant at Holiday Inn Civic Center (San Francisco), responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Holiday Inn Civic Center is pleased you were satisfied with our service and comfortable bed accommodations. However, we always seek to exceed guest expectations and we regret if this was not the case during your stay. We want every guest to have an opportunity to love our brand and we hope you will give us another chance to demonstrate to you our commitment to guest satisfaction. Thank you for your feedback.