“Average service”

Holiday Inn Civic Center (San Francisco)
Ranked #120 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Setubal - Portugal
“Average service”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

The room was clean and the bead was good.
However, the window was not sealed and a lot of noise and wind was coming in all the time. As it was rather cold that was not a pleasant experience.
We had to lock it in a rather peculiar way when we were out.

The service at the restaurant is rather poor. The people working there were - most of the time - very unkind and rude.
As european foreigners we were not aware that we were supposed to tip in california but they asked us 18% on the bill of the restaurant. In Sacramento, the tip was 15%. In the reception they told us the tip was supposed to be 15% !
No internet free connection available, only check-in flights at the reception. Wi-fi was available at the room through a password.
We had a general feeling of un-security in the hotel and on Market street !

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Civic Center (San Francisco), responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear Antonio-Correia,

Thank you for your review and your recent stay with us. I'm glad that you noticed the cleanliness of the room and found the bed comfortable. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had because of the noise and the poor service you received in the restaurant. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed October 6, 2012

This hotel was very good in all areas. The staff were always friendly and helpful. The room seemed clean and well taken care of.

The restaurant...

I generally make it a rule NOT to eat in hotel restaurants. I had some circumstances on this trip where I broke my own rule and had both room service and in restaurant dining. I'm SURE glad I did. The food at 50 on 8th is excellent. I had the ribeye in the restaurant. The steak was excellent. Perfectly cooked, the ceaser salad was also excellent. I had a cheeseburger on room service and it was excellent as well. I highly recommend the restaurant!

The area..

The area is beyond the control of the hotel. The area isn't great, but I imagine there are worse. The street in front of the hotel wasn't too bad, catch a taxi and leave the area without walking around much...

Room Tip: Ask for the highest floor possible.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Drayton Valley, Canada
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We stayed at this property for one night September 25th, 2012. The staff, upon check in, were excellent. We are priority club members and they had upgraded us to an executive floor. The room had modern decor and was very clean. I loved the pillow choices! While we were checking in a large group arrived and still time was taken to answer all our tourist questions. We recieved maps, directions and were given advice on the choices of transportation to Fishermans Wharf. The area is a little sketchy and I would certainly use caution during the evening but daytime was fine for walking and is really just a couple blocks from the Union Square area. The property has construction going on nearby so tended to be a bit noisey in the morning. I would recommend and stay at this property again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Stayed here on business as there were no other hotels with rooms.
The area isn't great, I was on business and could look after myself, if I had my kids I would be nervous especially at night.
That said the trams and busses run very regularly for 2 dollars 50 meters from the door and takes only 5 mins downtown
If you end up here it's not too bad. Room was quite good......but avoid any rooms by the lift very noisy!

• Stayed September 2012
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Stayed here at the begining of September whilst visiting San Fran for the 1st time..

Hotel - exactly what you would expect from a Holiday Inn ! Clean and reasonable price

Neigbourhood - we read the reviews before hand and were a little concerned to be honest ...However... we walked home at every time of the day (and night) and yes there are homeless but we never had any problems... just say 'no thanks' and walk on by..... The Tenderloin area of SF is renowned for the homeless as a local taxi driver informed us, thats because of the climate and San Fran look after the not so fortunate, Tenderloin atracts the homelss as the city provide for them....
Location - just about 10 mins walk to Union Square and a $18 from the Piers, we walked for miles in san fran and the hotel is close the the 'Hop on Hop off' bus stop so was always handy...

Overall - OK !!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank LeeWhitfield
Sacramento
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Stayed here last night and a number of times in the past. It's clean, has parking and a good restaurant for breakfast. Free wifi. Not the greatest neighborhood. You'll find many great neighborhoods to visit and walk. This isn't one of them. We usually drive from here to other parts of town but a taxi is reasonable too. e.g. $10 to Chinatown.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Alamitos, CA
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I stayed at this hotel a week ago. I was a bit dismayed when I saw the neighborhood - very seedy, and I felt uncomfortable walking to the trolley station around the corner on Market Street. I will say that check-in was quick and easy, and the staff were polite. Our room was OK, but the beds were very small, and the mattresses were uncomfortable - we all awoke with backaches the next morning. We also had to contend with the noise from the busy streets below - even though we were on the 9th story. What really upset me, though, is that we had a function to attend before checking out on Sunday and not wanting to leave our belongings in our SUV (did I mention that parking is $43 a night!), we left them with the front desk, who said they would be safe in a room right off the lobby. I guess I should have taken the time to check all the bags before we left, because when we got home, I discovered my Kindle and a charger for my iPhone were both gone from my bag. We immediately called the hotel to report it, but of course were told no one had found anything. I didn't expect anyone to own up to it, but they could have at least pretended to have cared about the missing items. I am extremely angry and disappointed to have experienced this with a well-known hotel, and I will definitely not stay here again. If you do, make sure you keep your valuables close at-hand.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Civic Center (San Francisco), responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear TalulahBellle,

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Janice A.