“Pros and Cons make this an average hotel”

Holiday Inn Civic Center (San Francisco)
Ranked #124 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed June 15, 2012

I stayed at the Holiday Inn while in San Francisco for the TV of Tomorrow Show. There were definitely pros and cons to the stay.

Pros
- I stayed here because it was cheaper than other hotels. At $280/night it was a lot cheaper then the $400/night other hotels were charging
- The hotel is very convenient for BART. The Civic center stop is right there (literally steps from the hotel) and it was very easy to get here from airport.
- The room was clean and comfortable
- Checkin and checkout were quick and efficient

Cons
- The hotel is in a rough neighborhood. During my 1 mile walk to TV of Tomorrow show at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts I passed numerous homeless people, shady characters, and shady buildings. To be honest, everywhere I went I passed homeless people (it's a shame that it is such a big problem in a great city like San Francisco). As a white male in good condition, I wasn't overly worried but I did pay attention of my surroundings on this walk (especially at night). I found this to be the same on Market Street, Mission Street, Howard Street, and 8th Street. I found that sticking to Market St for all walking was best since there were a lot of other people with you.
- Across the street they are doing noisy construction that starts at 7am. This isn't the hotel's fault but something to be aware of.
- Their wifi went down for a whole day. The front desk was unable to do anything about it or report when it would be back. This was very frustrating.
- Two treadmills in the fitness center weren't working well.

So, overall my stay was fine but there were issues.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the street to avoid construction and street noise.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank sdavi

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to write us the comments and we are glad that you experienced the "Pros" of our hotel during your stay.

As you mentioned the homeless is an issue throughout San Francisco. The area around the hotel is undergoing some exciting changes with the addition of large businesses and entertainment organizations moving in. We are certain there will soon be a new look and atmosphere in the area.

We apologize for the internet issue as we have upgraded to fiber-optic service. We are updating our fitness equipment and also currently offer complimentary access for our hotel guests to Bay One Fitness on 37 Grove Streets s 5 minute walk from the hotel. For information, you can always inquire with Front Desk.

Once again, we appreciate your candidate feedback and business. We hope to welcome you again in San Francisco.

Best regards,
Guest Relations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,230)

Reviewed June 10, 2012

The hotel per se is decent but certain part of it is very very dated even though they have done a refurbishment. The locationwithhold with homeless people along market street from eighth street To union square (fifth street). The walk to union square is very very intimidating especially if u are Asian. Avoid at all cost and during night time, is very rowdy with screaming or drunkard nose, and traffic noise. Fisherman wharf holiday inn seem more decent.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank fixer72

Dear guest,

Thank you for your comments. We appreciated your staying with us and we truly hope you would come back again to visit us and discover another side of the area.

Best regards,

Reviewed June 6, 2012

OK so it's a little bit scary at night but it's a short walk from the BART + to be honest, there are homeless people everywhere in this city. Even if u had stayed at Union Square Parc 55, Westin, Hilton etc. u would meet homeless people once u exit the hotel front door. So don't be put off by the other reviews about not feeling safe in the area or whatever. So far today I have walked past countless homeless people but they are harmless + just asking for loose change. I needed a place to stay for the night as something unexpected came up with my accommodation arrangements. Checked in just b4 midnight and I was given a late check out at 2pm the next day. I could have paid less for one of the non chain smaller hotels but I wanted a decent, clean room and u cannot go wrong with the HI. I love love love the toiletries - body lotion especially from Bath + Body works. Try booking thru a 3rd party website or travel agent, I got a good deal $135 a couple days b4 I checked in. Now If only I had booked the rest of my stay here so I wouldn't have to change hotels tomorrow! Oh well I guess u learn from each experience.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor seem to be pretty quiet. Balcony door that opens was a nice touch.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Wayne H

Dear Guest,

We are happy to know you enjoyed your visit. Thanks for this great review!!

Reviewed June 5, 2012

Me and my husband were in San Francisco for a weekend getaway. We chose this hotel because my husband is with the Priority Club. So it was nice because we got an upgrade to the 14th floor. The room and bathroom was nice and clean. It seem like the hotel has been remodeled since the decor was very modern.

We also had dinner within the hotel because it was convenient. Service in the beginning wasn't that great. There was no host when first arriving at restaurant. After being seated we waited for our server who actually approached another couple who got seated 5 mins after us. It didn't help that I was very, very hungry so I made sure to get the waiter's attention so that our order went in as soon as possible. They offered a menu as well as, their buffet. The buffet seemed nice but I'm not a buffet person. So I ordered calamari as an appetizer, which was okay. As my entree, I had the NY Steak and my husband ordered Chicken Alfredo. We were both pleased with our food.

After attending an event, we went to our room which was situated in a way that picked up the traffic noise from Market St. Fortunately, I was so tired that it didn't bother me come time to sleep. But if you are a light sleeper you may want to ask for a room that avoids the street. If they offer one. The bed on the other had was very comfortable.

Just keep in mind this is a Holiday Inn Hotel and not "HI Express". So they have breakfast just don't expect a free breakfast. You also have to pay for parking but with SF hotels, this is unavoidable. Overall, the hotel was nice but I don't think I'd stay more than one night because of all the street noise.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cjsf14

Dear guest,

Thanks for your helpful comments. We are happy you found our hotel worked well for you. We value our Priority Club guests and your comments are very important to us.

If you could contact me and provide your actual information, I can note down in your profile to place in a quieter room for your next stay.

Once again, thank you for your business and we look forward to welcoming you again.

Guset Relations Manager
leslie.li2@ihg.com

Reviewed June 1, 2012

What started out as an unfortunate experience was made so much better by one fantastic engineer. I noticed from his name tag his name was Brian..Let me explain i had called a number of times about a few things that were wrong with my room this past monday and they were ignored all day, then at about 4:00 ish Brian came in and fixed all of my concerns within a few minutes, he was calm and courteous and the most helpful maintenance man i have ever met. I was starting to think i would never come backtoa this hotel but thanks to this helpful and professional man i will definitley stay here the next time i have business in San Francisco. Thank you Brian for turning my stay around you rock man!

Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

Dear guest,

Thank you for your comments and for your support! We are delighted to know Brian was so helpful and are proud to have employees like him who are committed to making sure our guests have a wonderful time.

We look forward to welcoming you again!

Reviewed May 18, 2012

We were in traffic on our way to another hotel when we saw HI...we had a long day and decided to pull in to see if they had a room available. We saw the sign that said gust parking $46, but they gave us a great rate, which included the parking!

The room was clean, nicely decorated and had nice amenities. I really liked that they had Bath and Body Works lotion, shampoo and conditioner! We had been to many hotels on this 3 week trip...from Disney Pop Culture and Loews Royal Pacific to a few other motels and none of them provided hair conditioner!

We ate dinner there one night and although the price was on the high side, the food was pretty good! Raymond was our waiter and he was fantastic! The staff at the front desk were very personable also.

Overall we enjoyed our stay here. Outside there were some sketchy people, but every city has them. I just wished that they would put out a folder with info on restaurants and shopping close by.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thanks so much for your support. We love to get wonderful comments like yours and are happy to know you enjoyed your visit.

I have shared your comments with our team. We do have a list of wonderful restaurants and great shopping information all within walking distance available at our front desk.

Once again, we thank you for your business. We hope to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed May 13, 2012

Thanks again guys for a great stay! Benny at the front desk was very welcoming during our stay during 420 weekend in SF! We came to enjoy the festivities and were in close proximity to our concert at 1015 Folsom. The only drawback as previously mentioned is the parking charge but in a city with limited spots its nice to have a gated and secure spot to come home to at night. Really enjoyed the breakfast buffet as well!

Room Tip: Join Priority Club and get hooked up!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MrLyon

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments and we are delighted to see you enjoyed your stay with us and particularly our friendly staff and breakfast buffet.

I have forwarded your comments to Benny at our Front Desk. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.