“TINY Rooms, rude staff”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Washington DC
“TINY Rooms, rude staff”
Reviewed October 22, 2006

My platonic male friend & I arrived at the Harbour Court hotel after a 28 hour flight from Bali. We requested a room with two beds and was told there was only only two rooms available in the whole hotel, ours (with one bed) and the penthouse. (Although I overheard a another clerk telling another client that there were rooms available) I was looking forward to a comfortable sleep in my own bed. But I was forced to stay in a tiny bed with my friend who's 6'4". I very nicely requested a cot and was told the hotel does not have them. Then I requested extra pillows so I could sleep on the floor and that request was never filled. The snooty clerk who was on duty, snidely told me to go have some 'cookies and milk" in the lobby... very insulting! The room was VERY tiny, the bed small and there was barely enough room to sleep on the floor. The next morning I hoped to sleep in late after my friend caught an early flight, but the room was very loud. I could hear the elevator clearly although the room was half way down the hall. The sound echosed in the hallway. The bathroom was very small and poorly designed. I had to step inside the shower and get sprayed with cold water in order to turn the water on. The hotel advertised it "unique" decor, but except for a bed canopy and flat-screen TV (The room was too small for a traditional TV) it didn't look much different than a holiday inn

• Liked — Close to BART station
  • Disliked — Tiny rooms rude staff
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay away... many, many better hotels in San Fransico
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, England
Reviewed October 12, 2006

Booked our rooms through Hotwire at a cheaper rate for a four-day visit to San Francisco from London, and the hotel exceeded our expectations. All the staff were very friendly and we availed ourselves of the nightly wine tasting, followed by milk and cookies later on - an unusual and pleasant touch. True, rooms are small, but very comfortable and stylish; we knew this before we booked, so weren't surprised. Didn't have a bay view as that's more expensive, but you don't need that as the hotel is right on the Embarcardo - perfect for morning/evening strolls/jogs. Another plus is the Amtrak railway office just across the road (not the train station - that's in Oakland, I think), where you can conviently catch a bus to the station and then travel by those wonderful Amtrak trains to anywhere in the US. Used the YMCA gym next door (again, they were very friendly), and the post office across the road is very handy for sending postcards etc. The BART station from SF International Airport is very close as well (can't remember the name of the stop, though). The Ferry Building is just across the road as well, containing a wide variety of shops and places to eat. Best of all is the ferry that takes you to Sausaulito in about 20/30 minutes, right past Alcatraz. All in all, this was a real find, great value for money and in a wonderful location in a wonderful city.

• Liked — Overall quality.
  • Disliked — No breakfast.
  • Tips/Secrets — Use the free YMCA next door & catch the ferry opposite to Sausalito.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank Londres
San Francisco
Reviewed October 10, 2006

I booked a last minute stay through Hotwire at the Harbor Court Hotel to enjoy a one night stay in San Francisco for Columbus Day. It's a great location close to the Embarcadero Waterfront and the Ferry Building's wonderful shops. I walked to North Beach to watch the Italian Heritage Day Festival and took the underground Muni to shop at the brand new Westfield Shopping Centre which, by the way, has the best food court of any mall I've ever been to.

Mind you, the hotel has great amenities but I felt treated like a second class citizen because I booked my trip through Hotwire. When I checked in, the front desk person told me that all she had available was a full-size bed as all the larger beds were completely sold. I asked for a bayview room and she told me that I would have to pay $50 more to have that.

When I got to my room, I was shocked to see how small it was! At first I couldn't find the television and then I looked up toward the ceiling and saw there was a small flat screen tv in the corner. Then I wondered where the dresser was, and I finally found a drawer underneath my mattress. The bed was a true full-size, and I wondered how my partner would have been able to stay with me had he been there! The bathroom was a good size, though, but I would've given up some of that space to have more room. There was a desk and a chair. Overall, I was amazed at how they utilized such a small space.

After seeing my room, I went downstairs to see if there was a bigger room available but the front desk person told me they were all sold out. I overheard her telling other guests that the YMCA next door was complimentary. When I asked her about it, she said that was only available to those who book directly with the hotel. She told me that I would have to pay a fee to use it.

The pluses with the hotel are definintely the decoration and the decor. It is a very modern looking place that fits the San Francisco style. They also had a nightly wine tasting, fresh chocolate chip cookies at 9 pm, and complimentary coffee/tea service in the mornings. They also delivered a NY Times to my doorstep.

This was my first opportunity to stay at a "boutique" hotel. If I had a bigger room, then I probably would've given this a higher rating than a 3. But I felt that because I ordered this through a third party website that I was treated differently.

If you book directly through the hotel, then I would definitely recommend this place. But if you book it through a third party website, then I would caution you to be not get your hopes up with your room size and service. If you end up with a big room, be thankful and enjoy your stay!

• Liked — Location, decor, innovative customer friendly services
  • Disliked — Room size, treating guests differently based on where accomodation was purchased
  • Tips/Secrets — Hotel offers free wireless internet access and free computer use in the loung area
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled solo
7 Thank jchato
San Francisco/Orange County
Reviewed October 4, 2006

You can't beat the price of this cute little hotel. Travelers with disabilities may find it hard to navigate the stairs to the upper lobby. The hotel is on the embarcadero, so it is not very convenient to Union Square or Fisherman's Warf (walking). It would take about 15-20 minutes to walk to either location. However, it is convenient to Muni, Bart and the cable cars if you don't want to walk. The hotel is on the outskirts of the financial district and is easily accessible to businesses near the Embarcadero (South of Market). The nightlife around the hotel is lacking, but there are some excellent restaurants nearby including Boulevard (A+). The hotel has some nice touches including flat screen tvs, great room decor, Aveda toiletries and complimentary evening wine. Those who are on a budget won't feel like they are staying at budget hotel!

• Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank TravelGal415
California
Reviewed September 19, 2006

This hotel had the smallest rooms I have ever seen in a hotel. They were way over priced and the staff was rude. It was very hot and there was no AC in the rooms. THe only good thing about this hotel was the location. If I were to come back to this area of the city and would dtay next door at the charming Hotel Griffon.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — size fo the rooms
  • Tips/Secrets — stay somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
2 Thank phillypga
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 20, 2006

I had a quick 2 day stay in San Francisco before heading out to Napa/Sonoma and was looking for a home base. The Harbor Court fit the bill perfectly. I took the BART from the airport to the close-by Embarcadero station and walked over the few blocks to the hotel. You can easily grab the F-line over to Pier 39 & Fisherman's Wharf or jump on the California cable car line at the foot of Market. There seemed to be all kinds of transportation options close by. If you are looking to get out for a jog, they provide route maps for various distances along the Embardadero. There are great restaurants right on Steuart St. (I ate at Faz and Ozumo) and plenty of food services in the Ferry Building. You can also pick up a great breakfast at the Saturday morning farmers market behind the Ferry Building. I had a room with an amazing view of the Bay Bridge. And even though they are indeed small, the rooms are funky and bright...not your typical, bland, cookie cutter rooms. My only issue is that there is currently some scaffolding on the front of the building so your view is affected slightly. The staff was very friendly and the daily wine reception seemed to be well attended. I'd stay there again in a second.

• Liked — location
  • Tips/Secrets — get a room with a view of the bay
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled solo
1 Thank Lainey5
midlands england
Reviewed August 8, 2006

our last night of a 2 week holiday in california was spent here, having spent the 1st 4 nights at the crowne plaza on union square,{also excellent} we wanted to stay in a different area for the last night and were torn between the embarcadero and fishermans wharf - we made the right choice!

the hotel is lovely - very different in style to all the others we stayed in and it was beautiful, from the lobby to the corridors to the room - lovely colourful bright decor. we were on the 8th floor in an inside room overlooking the courtyard - not a spectacular view but pleasant enough and nice and quiet. the room itself was smaller than the others we;d stayed in but was big enough for 2 easily and was very comfortable with a lovely little bathroom with very nice - aveda- products. there was a mini bar that we used for our own things - the only thing lacking was a coffee maker - i kept looking for it but it wasn;t there. having said that, there was free tea/coffee/water/juices etc in the lobby in the morning, but, being english, we do lke a cup of tea 1st thing without having to get dressed!

the staff were wonderful, the marathon was on on the sunday and the road was closed supposedly until 2.30pm and our flight was at 4.20pm which meant we couldn;t get transport to pick us up - didn;t fancy lugging all our luggage to the bart! however the road re-opened early and the staff arranged for a shuttle to collect us so all was well - actually it was very exciting watching the marathon once we knew we were okay for getting to the airport! the location itself was lovely - just across from the ferry building and very close to the bay bridge, which looked lovely all lit up at night - some of the rooms on the front would have a view of it.

we ate at afz 2 doors down at the hotel griffon which was excellent. there is also a free use computer in the lobby which meant i could check in on-line for the flight back - very glad i did when we saw the queues at checkin - this was a real plus as we didn;t expect to be able to do this not having a laptop with us. all in all the harbour court made the last night of a fabulous holiday complete.

• Liked — the amience/decor
  • Disliked — no coffee maker!
  • Tips/Secrets — get a room with a view if you can
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple