“A lovely stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
California
“A lovely stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

My 12 year old daughter and I stayed one night at the hotel, and had a delightful stay. We booked a fairly inexpensive room option, and so we were prepared to not expect much. Quite the contrary! We we treated to a lovely and clean room, and the hotel staff made us feel right at home. We loved the 5 to 6pm wine hour (my daughter enjoyed a soda). We played chess in the lobby, and socialized with a lively group of visitors from locations far and wide. You cannot beat the location of the hotel, and we agreed to return again. I recommend this hotel to anyone searching for a genuinely SF hotel experience.

• Stayed February 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Melinda M, General Manager at Harbor Court Hotel, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
So happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, hope to see you and your daughter on a return visit! Thanks, Melinda

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
  • Turkish first
Colwyn Bay, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

we were booked here thru work and i will never stay here again m it may be a fine hotel if you want to sleep and shower , but i have to say if you want to eat or work , or dont like asian food ! avoid this hotel like the plague ,upon check in wew ere told rooms would have to nbe checked anf we amy have to wait (this was after hotel check in time ) , i opted to go to visit our place of work , and returned around 445 and asked about room service i was informed they dont have any in house ! but i can order from a menu that is from th restaurant next door ? but its not open till 530pm and that they charge 3 dollars fee on top of the 23% service charge LOL , upon looking at the menu (which is 85 % asian / japanese ) i asked if they had any other option they said i could order in ? i can do this from home , id suggest you do the same ! , if your here to work dont bother! , If your here to visit , find a cheaper hotel that has no services either , this isnt worth the extra money ! ! Avoid !

Room Tip: find a better hotel
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
I'm so sorry for any confusion with the restaurant, as we do indeed have one - It's called Ozumo, and we have full In-Room Dining for lunch and dinner, as well as Continental breakfast, all available to be served in your room. The menu is located in the room as well. True our restaurant is Japanese, but they also provide options for a less fussy palate, such as rice bowls, burgers, salad etc. Thanks, Melinda
Berkeley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend and I had a wonderful experience at this hotel. Everyone was so nice and welcoming. The guy at the front desk remembered my name....bonus points. The rooms are small but they use the space effectively. We had a very nice view of the ferry building. the hotel held a complimentary wine reception from 5-6pm. I highly recommend staying here.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Ed - Thanks for the feedback! Awesome to hear you were happy with your selection for Valentine's Day - Definitely puts a smile on my face! Hope to have you back again soon. Thanks, Melinda
Adelaide, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

Have recently come back from over 2 months in USA. Visited 12 cities whilst there. Most of the hotels I stayed in were good except this one that left me disappointed.

On New Years Eve they left a note under the door saying you couldn't leave the hotel unless all guests were registered at the hotel desk or you wouldn't be let back in. Anyone not registered at the desk would be turned away. They'd have security guards - and they did - to turn people away who weren't registered at the desk. I mean really, on New Years Eve? I understood the guards, you don't want just everyone coming in. But I'm a guest. If I choose to bring another guest in with me surely this should be ok? Are you not allowed to meet anyone and maybe have an enjoyable New Years experience in San Fran?

The note had a few other things as well. Like not making any noise. If you make noise you might wake up their business guests who had business meetings the next day. The note said that. There appeared to be nothing about me being able to enjoy my New Years. I asked someone about it and they said their business guests were important to them and that's what the note was for. I walked away feeling I wasn't important.

It appears to me this is a business hotel designed strictly for businessmen with no lives. I judge this from the note and the room size. There was room for one person. Very, very small.

Disappointed with my San Fran hotel .

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank BozW
Hi There - Well...completely not what we were trying to communicate in our NYE letter, very sorry to hear that it left you with a negative impression. We only had the safety and comfort of all our guests in mind with this communication, very sorry to hear that this is how it was interpreted in this case. These are processes which are in place every day of the year, but sometimes in all of the craziness of such a holiday, we understand that our guests sometimes forget to give us the names of other people who we may grant access to their room. So sorry to hear that this communication affected your experience in this way. Thanks, Melinda
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014

In the immediate area of my SF office, there are literally only three hotels within a 2-min walk (Harbor Court is one), and sometimes we business travelers want nothing more than a 2-min walk.

An interesting part of the Kimpton portfolio, Harbor Court delivers the warm, consistent, and attentive service that the company is known for. The main floor has a large lobby area ("Living Room") with ample space for relaxing, reading, meeting with co-workers (several tables) and for enjoying that free beer/wine during evening wine hour (5-6pm). The free coffee in the lobby (locally roasted) is also good.

I booked the lowest priced room. My InnerCircle status got me a top floor Queen room with a spectacular view of the Bay Bridge. The room was pretty small, but for SF standards plenty of space to sleep, work and relax. The room was quite clean and well kept (keeping in mind the building is almost 100 years old). The bed was decently comfy (some pretty squeaky springs, though) with soft sheets. The bathroom was small and mostly well-kept. Everything was in working order, including the heat/AC system.

Here you're paying for location, and I feel like the rates are pretty fair for what you get and for the location. Remember to sign up for Kimpton's In Touch program before your stay so you can get free WiFi.

A few things worth noting:
- This is the only Kimpton property I've ever stay where body wash isn't include in the provided bath products...strange
- The Mini Bar fridge (less than 10 inches from my head when sleeping) buzzed loudly all night - a bit annoying
- The blinds are annoying as you have to fasten them on a cleat hook

Will likely consider staying again assuming the price is right.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Mark M
Melinda M, General Manager at Harbor Court Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Hi there, Wow what fantastic feedback! I really appreciate your in-depth look into our property, thanks so much! We're always so happy to have one of our Inner Circle members provide us feedback, and I'm glad to hear that it sounds like we're a winner in your book. Don't forget that we offer discounted day passes for the YMCA next door, a full fitness and wellness facility. Come back soon! Thanks, Melinda
Thousand Oaks, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014

I stayed at the Harbor Court for business. I am a fan of Kimpton Hotels, and this one was walking distance from my business meetings. I also enjoy the Kimpton lobbies, with friendly staff and the free wine reception in the evenings. The room I had was very small, but wonderfully appointed. I didn't mind that it was small because it was within walking distance of my meetings and so many wonderful restaurants and shops. I belong to their Loyalty program and get some nice benefits, including my favorite newspaper, the New York Times, and "raid the mini-bar" cards. I recommend the Harbor Court.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank caukwiphyllis
Thanks for the feedback! Happy to hear that you're enjoyed your stay, and look forward to your return! Thanks, Melinda
Wellington, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014

Absolutely, and without doubt, the worst hotel my wife and I have ever stayed in.

We've travelled a lot in the States and stayed in hotels everywhere and this trip had us staying in the first two hotels we've ever rated one stars. One, The Mirage, I would give another chance, I'd just be aware of how they do things (they were really dumb). But here, this was something entirely different.

On arrival we were told the wording on the Expedia site where we booked the room was "misleading" and the room was not what we booked. We were told the full sized bed we booked was not what we were going to get. We were told (by Chris) that the bed would only fit one person. A discussion ensued. He offered a queen bed upgrade, which after more discussion, and him making it a king bed at the same price, we accepted. He then put the extra room charge on our debit card and to our surprise said he stuck a $500 hold on our card. After a lot more discussion he explained the money was for anything we might spend during our stay. We said we would like it on a credit card and he said it was too late it was on this one and there was nothing he could do. He also wouldn't give me a receipt for the additional charges. He was having problems apparently.

After getting to the World's crappiest upgraded room ever I went down to discuss my issues with the room type we booked as I wasn't really happy about the situation. The girl there, having remembered I wasn't exactly jumping for joy, put me onto the supervisor. A long and interesting conversation ensued with him. Essentially he agreed what Chris said was correct. We discussed/argued for a while which just got me a blank stare that pretty much said 'up yours'.

Getting back home we found the room charge was more than what Chris had said it would be. It appears to have expanded by another $178. No receipt, he was having problems; aahhh, I see.

It was really all unfortunate for us that we had no way to contact Expedia at the time. My phone had packed up and the staff here (Chris) wasn't exactly being the most helpful person ever. We were pretty much up the proverbial creek without a paddle at check-in and with no choices on what we could do.

Anyway, Expedia are in for a run in small claims court due to the issue of additional charges that shouldn't have happened. My wife and are will go back to the Handlery Union Square next time we're in San Francisco. The Handlery is a really nice hotel. I recommend to everyone. This one, not so much.

I also note the manager likes to answer reviews like this. Please feel free not to. I could care less what you say or think. And, really, I wouldn't believe you anyway.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank BagmanNZ
Melinda M, General Manager at Harbor Court Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
I know you wrote that you don't want me to reply but, since you and your wife wrote 3 separate 1-Star reviews here regarding the same experience, I really feel like you want to hear back! I understand that you were not happy with your check in experience, an am sorry to hear that. After doing some research, I just wanted to explain a couple of things; There were 2 different charges on your card which you were unhappy with - One was for the upgrade you opted for from a room with one double bed, to a Bay View Room with a King bed - Chris was trying to explain that the "Full" bed you were referring to, which you booked, is a very small bed which is also called a "Double", and wanted to give you the option of upgrading before you reached the room. The other was a "hold" on your debit card, as debit cards do not act the same as credit cards. This is a very common procedure with hotel systems, and all 60 of our properties process debit cards this way. The hold is placed to ensure that there are available funds for incidentals such as In-Room Dining, movies, parking, mini-bar etc. Although this hold is released at check out, I understand that this can pose a challenge during your traveling experience, and am truly sorry if this was not clearly explained to you at the time. Thanks, Melinda