WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Harbor Court Hotel

Harbor Court Hotel
Ranked #54 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
“A Gem of a hotel in the Best location in San Francisco!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

Our stay was so pleasant at Harbor Court that I want to stay there again the next time we visit San Francisco. The room was small but so comfortable! The bed was a dream to sleep on. And the view of the bay and the bay bridge from our room was just amazing. The decor in the hotel is very appealing and I love that it is pet friendly. There were many people there with dogs and I had occasion to meet 2 very sweet pooches.

Staff were extraordinarily friendly and helpful. I never got the chance to participate in the wine event each evening because we were out and about at the time it was held. But would have loved to do that. Also, the room was very quiet. I did not hear any noise from the other rooms which was very nice!

The only downside to our stay was that the cost of parking at the hotel seemed pretty high - $45 a day plus taxes. But I have been told that parking is expensive everywhere in San Francisco so it may not be out of line. It was my first trip to San Francisco so I'm not familiar with what is considered normal for parking costs.

The weekend was made perfect by having such a wonderful hotel experience.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Libbupibb

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
  • Turkish first
Bountiful, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

The location of the Harbor Court Hotel was great. We were right on the Embarcadero, had a view of the Bay Bridge, and felt safe. The staff was nice. We were celebrating our 20th anniversary, so they had some treats waiting for us in our room when we checked in. We rented bikes while we were there and they stored them overnight for us. (They had 4 bikes that we could have borrowed for free, but we didn't want to hog them by taking them all day, or plan on using them only to find that they weren't available.) The cookies and milk at night was fun, and it was refreshing to always have iced lemon and orange water available when we came through the lobby. We had a view room with a king bed, which we found a spring special price for on their website. The rooms are kind of small especially when the king size bed takes up so much of it, but we didn't need anything huge. We didn't use the YMCA next door, but apparently that is available as an exercise option. We preferred to go walking along the piers, jogging, and biking out to the Golden Gate Bridge for our exercise. One drawback to the view rooms is that the traffic can be noisy in the mornings, but we would definitely stay here again if we are in San Francisco again.

1 Thank Bountiful5
The Sea Ranch, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

The Kimton gets customer service. This is the second Kimpton property I have stayed at in SF and it was great. From the valet, to the housekeeping staff, to the front desk, everyone we encountered was a delight. I love the fact you can walk out the back door of this hotel and you are right on the Embarcadero and just a block away from the Ferry Market Building. Super close to transit as well.

We had an interior queen room, and, while it was small, it had everything we needed and was very clean.

I appreciate that they allow pets, with no extra fee and no size restriction. Our dog enjoyed her visit as well and there is a little park spot right on the Embarcadero for quick pet relief.

Be sure to sign up for their InTouch membership so you can get free WiFi and a $10 minibar credit.

Guildford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

I used to stay in this hotel all the time, in fact it was my preferred hotel in San Francisco. First couple of trips I got a lovely room on the top floor with view of the Oakland Bridge, then it all went downhill. Fifth trip I got a tiny room, I forgot to pack my cat otherwise I could have told you if there was room to swing it. I doubt it. The view was of the roof and scenic air con unit and the noise! San Francisco in June is hot. If you can't open the window because you need industrial earplugs then it is even hotter. So, I dealt with all this, for $239 it seemed like a bit much to shoulder, but I did it.

Then they left my room door open. Obviously the maid forgot to take the snib off when they cleaned it. When I got back at 11pm I found my door open I immediately checked everything and yep, some stuff was missing, notably stuff that was near the door, some new trainers, a coach purse and ironically $20 that I had put in an envelope and put in the drawer ready for the maid.

They were apologetic and took it seriously, but then when I tried to claim it back, the trouble started. They wanted receipts and basically would not make any recompense until I produced those. I sent what I had (only one for the sneakers) a couple of times via email and then after a couple of calls to them to check the progress and having them tell me 'we will call you back' I gave up and vowed to never stay there again.

Hotel itself is patchy. Some rooms are gorgeous with amazing views, some are small and dingy. Location is not great (about 20 minute walk from Union Square) and expensive for what it is. Much better hotels in SF.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

This hotel was fantastic. One of the best times I've had traveling anywhere. We got upgrade to a Bay View room and that was amazing. The views are awesome. The location is great, across from ferry building and on the water. the staff was excellent. From their recommendations to their friendliness, overall they were all great. The nightly wine hour was fun and the morning coffee/tea was great. The room was nicely updated and clean. the bed was extremely comfortable. We slept very well and it was quiet too. I definitely recommend staying in the Bay View rooms.

Room Tip: The best rooms have to be the bay view rooms, they are beautiful
1 Thank softballgirl659
Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

I returned to the Harbor Court in November 2012 for the first time since 2005, and my stay was as good as the first time around. I can't say enough about the service. There are little things that make your stay fantastic - the cookies and milk, and wine hour - and the fact that they have coffee out super early for those of us on East Coast time! The rooms are on the small side, but very comfortable. The location is easily walkable to the Ferry Building. I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Galilayo79
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

My son stayed here while he was on a recent art-school hunting trip to San Francisco. It was his first trip by himself with his girlfriend, and he really loved it. He said the service was great and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The location was great too. It was right on the Embarcadero, so he could take public transportation wherever he had to go, which it wonderful in San Francisco with the horrible traffic.