“Excellent hotel”

Harbor Court Hotel
Ranked #53 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Stayed here for 11 nights on holiday from uk, absolutely loved our stay. The lobby is fantastic and staff very friendly always helpful always smiling. Nice coffee in the morning, nice cookies at night and nice beer and wine between 5-6 which is all free. The rooms are small that is true but I really didn't care about that they were big enough for me and I'm 6 foot. Very clean, nice mini bar (free $10 tab if u sign up to membership) generally anything I needed I could get. Newspapers in lobby. We were disappointed we dIdnt get a room with a view but it wasn't a problem. Bathroom was good and all in all this has to be one of the best value places in San Francisco. AT&T park home of the giants is walking distance as well

We loved San Francisco and would definitely go back there although very pricey more so than new York I think, be prepared to tip for everything as it is kind of expected in USA even if it's someone pouring you a drink, we knew that having been elsewhere in USA but more so here. Fishermans wharf is great for food and drink, pier 39 as well. Alcatraz is a must and the golden gate bridge.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Harbor Court Hotel

Reviewed July 1, 2012

From the friendly staff to the welcoming lobby with fireplace and organic drinks, Harbor Court makes for a home away from home hotel that also is a perfect launching pad for San Francisco area adventures. You can even bring your pets! The hotel is very clean and quiet, with views of the Bay and waterfront. Several good restaurants just doors away. BART, ferries and Muni all within easy walking distance. Reasonably priced versus other SF hotels. I look forward to staying here again!

Room Tip: I just had an upper level side room, but it had a nice view of the Bay and waterfront.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 30, 2012

We stayed here for my birthday weekend, and everything went right. This was our second stay at a Kimpton hotel, and I must say this was even better than our first. (It didn't hurt that they upgraded us to a bay view.) The staff is very helpful and friendly, and greeted us warmly whenever we came back from our city jaunts. Front desk even graciously helped us with small change for Muni.

The view, if you get a bay room, is nothing short of lovely. I would have left the shades up all day and night if not for wanting to sleep in! While the room is a little small, it's not any smaller than other SF hotel rooms, and the cleverly planned layout and stylish decor more than makes up for it.

To me, the pleasure of Kimpton is in the small touches. the $10 minibar tab is a nice gesture for members, as are the complimentary beverages in the lobby. We never got around to social hour or morning coffee, though. On a side note, I think these little touches all combine to make a convival atmosphere, and it is reflected in the guests - we saw a couple relaxing in the cosy lobby in bathrobes! And unlike many other hotels that we've been to, guests here seem to be a lot friendlier, saying hi and making small talk. (To be fair, I didn't see this at the other Kimpton we were in, so this might just be an SF thing, or the softening influence of the Bay...)

Location-wise, it's difficult to get much better. With the ferry building (and its great eateries) right across the street and handy muni stops within minutes, it's pretty easy to get around.

All in all, this was the best getaway I've had bar none. I've stayed at fancier hotels with much less atmosphere and warmth. Of course I'm always partial to the bay, but the hotel helped a lot in making this a perfect weekend.

Reviewed June 27, 2012

Pleasant staff and a good location made this property. Literally a few steps across the Embarcadero to the Ferry Building and only a twenty minute walk to Fisherman's Wharf and with good views across the Bay and of the Bay Bridge itself. San Francisco is an expensive destination and hotels are notoriously overpriced, but the Harbor Court was better than many alternatives. One thing though is that the hotel rooms are absolutely minuscule! Any longer than 2 nights and I think we would have been stir-crazy, but it served its purpose and we enjoyed our stay. The evening wine-tasting hour was an added bonus and I have to say the staff were attentive and friendly. Parking in San Francisco is an issue and with valet parking at this hotel for $40 a day, this is no exception. However, there are better deals for self parking on neighbouring Howard Street or on the next block up on Spear Street. Both of which are within very easy walking distance of the hotel and about half the price of the valet deal. Having said that, the valet parking here does compare favourably with other hotels in the area. The restaurant did not float our boat. A bit too specialised for a hotel in my opinion. Some of us don't like Japanes food and guests should be given a more eclectic choice.

Room Tip: Aim for a Bay View - These are slightly larger rooms. But there really isn't that much in it.
Reviewed June 22, 2012

This was my first stay at the Harbor Court Hotel and I was very impressed with the service and the location. I loved my stay at the hotel and will be back everytime I am in SF.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Michael B
Reviewed June 19, 2012

We loved looking out over the Bay Bridge, but despite booking a King room it was still small. No room to store 2 suitcases for example. The bed was comfy and the view great. So I would say overall it was adequate. There is no breakfast but they do offer free coffee till 9am. The gym next door at the YMCA (extra charge) was excellent. So is the Japanese restaurant attached.

If Kimpton did it up - as they have the Argonaut - it could be fantastic. Decor felt very 1980's.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and get a view.
1  Thank TiggyWalker
Reviewed June 15, 2012

When the Harbor Court found out it was our honeymoon, they took great care of us - champagne in the room, kind note welcoming us, gorgeous views of the Golden Gate Bridge... That said, most of what we enjoyed staying there would have been true, honeymoon or not. They have great staff who each have a quirky SF specialty: "book collecting", "thrift stores", etc. - just check below the name on their ID badges. The location couldn't have been beat. The rooms were very comfortable. Not spacious, but we didn't need much space. All around, this spot gets two big thumbs up from me!

5  Thank E P