“Wonderful Stay”

Handlery Union Square Hotel
Ranked #69 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed June 17, 2005

I have been reading the hotel reviews for about 6 months now and felt that I needed to contribute my experiences as it may help others as it has helped me.

We stayed at the Handlery June 8-June 14. Trying to get to know San Francisco as my daughter will be going to college there. We live in Massachusetts so I can't tell you how much research I did before we got there and as you can imagine, very nervous as this is the place my daughter will live for the next 4 years & 3000 miles away! My goal was to find a small hotel with excellent service where I can come when I visit her for the next four years! I had 3 other hotels on my list and after speaking to Christine, the general manager on the phone before I made my reservation, I knew this was the place for us. As we did not spend much time in our room getting to know the city, EVERYONE there made us feel right at home. I even got to meet Mr. Handlery himself and he made us feel very welcome. Dale at the conceirge desk was so gracious to us and answered every question I had no matter how stupid it may have been.

Our room was very clean and was very quiet. We faced the pool area. I think there was some kind of convention in town and on one night, there was some loudness by the pool at 11 pm. But it only went on for a few minutes before someone from the hotel put a stop to it. We were impressed.

We will be returning in August for the emotional dorm move-in with my daughter and The Handlery is were we will be returning and returning again.

• Stayed: June 2005
12  Thank nervoustraveler

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 6, 2005

We stayed there for our Honeymoon in the Club Area - Got a package deal (on their website) which included free parking. In my opinion this was the best way to go because parking is not cheap in San Fran! We loved our room. Comfortable big bed, clean, lovely decor! This was a four star hotel for the price of a two star! I think a gem. The "social butterfly" conceirege was very friendly. This hotel is very central and makes it easy to get to many neat places by foot. Our room was facing the pool courtyard and was very quiet. The only thing they forgot was to give us our honeymoon package (wine, chocolate, etc...) but was rectified by the professional desk staff.

• Stayed: September 2004
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 3, 2005

Having spent the honeymoon in several 5 star hotels, we personally preferred this one out of all of them, even though it was only mentioned as a 3 star plus.

The room was the biggest we had been given. (In the 5 stars we had the executive suites). There were 2 large closets for clothes and a respectable bathroom. Because it was an old building it had real character with sash windows and white fire escapes running down the building exterior.

The bed was firm yet soft and comfortable. There was a lot of noise from the street not helped by the single-glazed sash windows, but I only ever woke once briefly to the sound of a fire engine.

The staff were helpful and genuine. In the Daily Grill the meals were big enough for 2 people.

We only stayed 2 nights here but it wasn't enough to see San Fransisco so we will have to return and the Handlery will be where we will stay.

• Stayed: May 2005
8  Thank Stuey_3d
Reviewed May 29, 2005

Arrived to find we had been upgraded to the Club section, a very pleasent surprise. The room was large and airy, with a very good bathroom/dressing section, extremely comfortable king bed, and comprehensively appointed. There was a small sitting area with sofa and chairs next to a balcony - and this was the only downside. Other reviews of the Handlery have mentioned street noise - and our room overlooked O'Farrell Street. Take heed - it is noisy, but sleep is easy with earplugs, and this small problem should not put anyone off this excellent hotel. You can bet all the other hotels which are as convenient as this suffer the same problem! We were only there for three days, but found the Daily Grill filled all our needs, and those of a lot of locals, always a good sign. Friendly and courteous staff made for a great break - would return here any time.

• Stayed: April 2005
8  Thank Samol
Reviewed May 6, 2005

friendly, helpful, unobtrusive staff
clean, reasonable-sized rooms
decent on-site restaurant
not many amenities, but well situated near bus lines, cable car
walking distance to many restaurants, theaters, Moscone Ctr
we stayed for a week, had no problems

• Stayed: April 2005, traveled on business
7  Thank raco
Reviewed April 30, 2005

We stayed here for 4 nights in March 2005 and knew absolutely nothing about the hotel,having booked it through an agent. We did ask in advance for a quiet room as we had heard that Union Square could be noisy. On booking in we were told that the Chairman of the hotel wished to meet us who had been informed it was my husband's birthday trip and had even arranged for a bottle of champagne for our room. The staff were wonderful and while we did eat in Lefty's one morning, the service and atmosphere was so good in the Daily Grill, we stuck with it. The food was very good both for breakfast and dinner but for us "Brits",one meal shared was sufficient. The Concierge helped us in any way she could and gave us some good tips on where to go.

Altogether an excellent hotel we would recommend to anyone and would certainly stay in again (preferably when it stops raining and we can use the pool!!)

• Stayed: March 2005
8  Thank Benlyn
Reviewed April 19, 2005

Just stayed here for 4 nights for a convention. Stayed in the newer club rooms, which were very nice. Had plenty of room, good beds, etc. Only problem was very loud street noise, it was the loudest hotel I have ever stayed in! I had not known to ask for a room facing the pool. We asked housekeeping about a fan or something to drown out the noise, but they had nothing. Other than that, staff was friendly and helpful, especially about public transportation. It is a short easy walk from the BART station, as well as cable car and bus stops, the convention center. The restaurant they recommended in Chinatown, Great Eastern, was below average though. After the first night, we bought earplugs, which helped alot, though you could still hear some street noise. If you ask for a quiet room, this hotel should be great.

• Stayed: April 2005, traveled on business