“Didn't sleep a WINK!”

Handlery Union Square Hotel
Ranked #71 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed December 31, 2013

When you arrive to your room & the Hotel has a cute, little note accompanied by ear-plugs? Not a good sign. But, the 1st Problem? When I had called to book this Hotel (new to us) - I had clearly asked about their room-types. We travel with a child & like her to have her own quiet space while we can stay up & watch TV. They told me that that would be a 1-bedroom Suite. While this was $50/night more than the Marriott we normally stay at - it was worth it to us to have the separation. Not the case. There's a giant hole in the wall separating the Living Room from the 'Bedroom' - no door. What's the point?! The beds are facing each other just 10' apart. I called right down & they explained I'd need to have booked adjoining rooms if I wanted privacy. Not gonna work. Now, to the noise. Our room bordered Geary Street. The street performer (on the drums) was out 'til 10pm, sirens whiz by throughout the night & bar-hoppers are squealing with delight until 4am! Even with our white-noise on - I got very little rest. Grandma had her own room with an interior, alley view - she slept well. When I called to complain to the Manager re: both the wrong room description + public noise problem - they gave me $20 off my Bill. Bathroom was too small to even turn in - decor is quite comfortable & modern. Housekeeper was friendly - although, didn't get me the spare pillows I requested in person. Elevators are small & slow - not enough for this busy hotel. Great location.

Room Tip: Do NOT get a room with a view - - stay on the interior.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank facosmo
Write a ReviewReviews (4,120)

Reviewed December 28, 2013

Here is a copy of the letter I just sent to Jon Handlery:
I wanted to thank you and tell you what a magical time we had staying in your hotel a few weeks ago (Dec 13-15). My sister Carole were celebrating our 25 years together in business and we brought my 10 year old daughter to the city (SF) for a fun SF Holiday experience. We live one hour north in Cotati, Ca and decided to stay 2 nights at your hotel, at my sister's request because she heard about your KGO Special on the radio station she listens to every day. We arrived around 3pm and I was checking in at the front desk when you, Mr. Jon Handlery, came up and introduced yourself and gave me your card in case I needed anything Thinking back now, that was the beginning of a charmed trip! We later walked just 2 blocks down and saw the Cirque Holidaze show that night, which was quite dazzling! We had a lovely dinner in the Grill and were quite impressed with the quality of the food (attested to by the throngs of people always waiting to get in)! We only ate one meal somewhere else (disappointing!) but that was because it was so packed that there was an hour wait, (and before we learned to make reservations for our next meal when we left each time). We were there on Saturday for Santa-Con which was quite fun and amazing for all of us, we had never heard of it before. We also took the Holiday Light Tour around town in a converted cable car on Saturday night! My daughter & I just managed to hitch a cable car up the hill & back before we had to check out on Sunday! We had a lovely room with everything well thought out and provided for us, nice cushy towels & bedding and a fantastic street view of O'Farrell down to Market (I requested the room pictured on your website and got it!)! We loved being able to come back from our shopping and hang out in the room, watching people down below! All-in all, it was the most fun experience and we will remember what a great time we had at the Handlery in San Francisco forever!

Room Tip: We liked the newer part of the hotel best with a street view-very quiet rooms, clean, comfortable.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank drsally
Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

Hotel room staff stole my daughter's "build-a-bear," then claimed that there was NO bear. Our travel M&S travel plug was stolen too. When reported to the management, they was not interested. Over the period of the of five days, they did NOTHING but pass the buck....
Once the room maid was informed, she delayed cleaning our room; and became confrontational calling us LIARS. I would not recommend this hotel, to anyone.
However, if U have already booked it. Please make sure that you lock-up ALL your belongings. Be on the safe side. Not like my daughter, she has lost her birthday present & we were stolen from. Be warned, thieves work at the Handlery Hotel Union Square, San Franscio.

• Stayed: December 2013
3  Thank Debbi S
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Really enjoyed my short stay at this hotel, the room was larger than expected after reading some reviews!! We were given free breakfast upgrade which was a nice touch.
Rooms were clean and comfortable beds were great .
Location was excellent seconds from union sq and minutes from tram stops which is a must. I would have no hesitation staying here again if I'm lucky enough to return to fantastic San Francisco!
I found the staff all really pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: Try and stay in the old part of the hotel which we found to be quite.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 27, 2013

We really enjoyed this hotel. The owner greeted us upon check-in and the entire staff was welcoming and very accommodating. Herme, the bellman, was exceptionally helpful. The room was large, clean and well appointed. Our room overlooked the outdoor pool which is heated and had swimmers two days after Christmas (granted, it is unseasonably warm this year). Pools in hotels in San Francisco are not common, so this was a delight. The restaurant was convenient and the food was delicious. The location could not be better if you like to shop. You can walk in minutes to Macys, Nieman Marcus, Nordstroms and many other retail stores. Union Square and the cable car to the Wharf are 1/2 block away.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

You really can't beat the location, Especially for such a great price.

The rooms were clean and spacious with lots of mirrors ( Great for a few girls getting ready to go out ).
Beds were really comfortable!

Staff were all very friendly and accommodating.

Thanks to Jon and the team for a fabulous stay in beautiful San Francisco.

Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank DMBondi
Reviewed December 26, 2013

You can't beat this location, right on Union square with everything walking distance. We only stayed two nights but found the rooms very clean and comfortable. I was a little disappointed we didn't get the view if Union square I would request that next time.

Room Tip: I was a little disappointed we didn't get the view if Union square I would request that next tim...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends