“Great location with charm and value”

Handlery Union Square Hotel
Ranked #67 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
“Great location with charm and value”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I purchased the premiere queen room for my daughter's 25th birthday. She and her two friends were impressed with the welcoming staff, the hotel's character, and their very clean and comfortable room. My daughter already said she would like to stay at the Handlery again. As other reviewers have noted, the location is fabulous - especially for people who want to enjoy the great night life that San Francisco offers.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
HandleryHotelsMgr, Owner at Handlery Union Square Hotel, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Dear Betty Z,
Please pass on a belated Happy 25th to your daughter. I am glad you enjoyed your stay at the Handlery and hopefully we can get you and your daughter back for her 26th. I was also pleased that you found our location ideal for your visit to San Fran. Thank you again for staying with us.

President, Handlery Hotels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (910)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Caerphilly
Reviewed August 25, 2013

This was the 3rd hotel on our 3 resort holiday (Vegas, Hawaii and San Fran) The location is excellent as it is just off Union square. On arrival I found the check in staff to be a bit unfriendly almost to the point of aggressive (a bad day perhaps) We were checked in quickly with our luggage delivered to our room a short time later. The hotel is an old city centre building so don't expect the luxury of more modern hotels. The room was small but comfortable although a bit more attention to detail from housekeeping would help. The window blinds in particular were very dusty. The rest of the staff we encountered were more friendly than the reception staff except for the concierge who we found to be a bit officious. Our holiday was to celebrate our 25th Wedding anniversary so it was a great touch on our last day when John Handlery, the hotel owner, rang us in the room to congratulate us and to wish us a great stay. If you want to stay right at the heart of Union square then this is probably one of the best locations. If you want more luxury then look somewhere else and if you have a young family then look to Fisherman's Wharf. All in all San Francisco is an amazing place and the Handlery is in a great location to explore it.

Room Tip: An upper level room is probably best if you want quiet. Our room was overlooking the pool area and...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear MikeCCFC,
Congratulations again on your 25th and I am glad that you generally enjoyed your visit. I will follow up with the staff with regards to your comments as we are traditionally known for providing outstanding service, all the time. Thank you again for your input.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I had high expectations of this hotel as it came highly recommended to me from friends and travel agents. Unfortunately, we were left disappointed.

It is an older style hotel with a great location. However, the rooms were very worn and tired. They also had a damp smell. The room did not have block out blinds and all the noises from outside could be heard in the rooms.

The beds were springy and the pillows flat. The shower did not have great pressure.

I have given the three stars only because of the location, free breakfast and free wifi.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the newer section.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
G'day Mintslice,
I am sorry that not aspects of your stay were enjoyable and I wish you had contacted me while you were here as I am sure I could have found accommodations that would have met your needs.
We will be adding blackout drapes to all rooms and have just replaced every pillow in the entire hotel. Again, my apologies for any inconvenience you experienced.

scarborough
Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

On our honeymoon, great welcome by staff after 10 hr flight. Complimentary bubbly which was a lovely gesture. Great location, clean, helpful staff, free wifi, modern room, great concierge service. I always read trip advisor reviews and would recommend anyone to stay here, we had free breakfast but don't know how. Bathroom a bit dated but clean and did we needed it to. Great hotel for a short stay! FYI - Taxi was 50$ from airport but the MUNI was so much cheaper. Get the 3 day pass because it covers all the trams, trains and trams. Hotel just up the road from the muni station.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hayley_ellen99
Dear haley_ellen99,
Congratulations on your marriage and I was happy to see you enjoyed your stay at the Handlery.
I was also pleased that you found our employees service helpful and our location perfect. We can't wait to see you on your first anniversary. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I have stayed at the Handlery on a couple of occasions before, so when we decided to get married in San Francisco it was the first hotel that came to mind. My wife and I and my entire wedding party stayed here at this hotel and were very very pleased.

The staff are extremely friendly , they are more like one big happy family then hotel workers and I can't imagine the Handlery family having it any other way. Check in was very quick, and efficient. The hotel is around 100 years old but has been maintained very well. When you are walking along the corridors or using the stairs between floors (don't worry there are lifts too) you feel like you could be in San Fran during the wars and expect to see horse drawn carriages outside the windows.

There are a wide choice of rooms from very simple bed and shower rooms to beautiful suites (which we had) that are huge and overlook union square, and everything in between.

The daily grill (the restaurant located in the hotel) is excellent and lefty's irish pub next door is a fantastic place for a drink or a big night (and we had many big nights there whilst in town)

On our Wedding day the hotel pulled out all the stops, from the bell boys making sure all of the front of the hotel was clear for out limos , to the staff ferrying things between rooms whilst we were getting ready.

I will go to San Francisco many more times in my life but I will only ever stay in one hotel.

Room Tip: A room overlooking Union Sq. is great --- but in the end you are in one of the greatest cities in th...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
G'day James H.,
First, congratulations on your marriage. I also want to thank you for your continued patronage of our hotel and it was nice to read you had another great stay. I will share your nice feedback with my staff who are pleasure for me to work with. Thank you again and we hope to see you on your anniversary.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 22, 2013

An older style hotel, but in a great location if you want to be in the centre of things. Quiet room, although we were in a room at the back of the hotel. Smallish room, but free wi-fi which was a bonus. Good breakfast in dining room. Very close to the trolley car and all good shops. Very comfortable beds.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
G'day Joy V,
Thanks for visiting from the Land of OZ and I am glad you enjoyed your stay at the Handlery. It was nice to read that you found our location central and our beds comfortable. Thank you again for staying with us.

Cheers,
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Right on the corner of Union Square and very close to the trolley bus, BART and Muni stops. Friendly reception and concierge (who was also very knowledgeable). We took a room overlooking the pool which was very quiet . Big beds, plenty of room, very clean. Perhaps a little tired but not terrible. A very enjoyable 4 night stay

Room Tip: Pool side rooms were quiet
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank PAWPeteWilko
Dear PAWPeteWilko,
Thank you for choosing the Handlery and I am glad you enjoyed your stay. I will pass on your nice feedback about our staff to them. I was also pleased you found our beds comfortable and our central location made it easy for you to get around SF. Thanks again for staying with us.