Handlery Union Square Hotel
$175
$161
  • Restaurant
San Francisco Marriott Marquis(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$267
$165
$491
$194
  • Pool
InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$228
$195
InterContinental
  • Room Service
Comfort Inn by the Bay(San Francisco)
$269
$259
ComfortInn
  • Breakfast included
Club Quarters Hotel in San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$240
$179
  • Restaurant
Courtyard by Marriott San Francisco Downtown(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$257
$229
$269
$408
Hotelpower.com
4,188 results
All reviewshistoric sectionunion squaredaily grill restaurantpremier sectiongreat locationpremier roombreakfast voucherso'farrell streetolder partcable carheated poolbreakfast was includedour honeymoontravel agenthop on hopstayed here for nightscentral location
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night. It was great that they offer Kamaaina Rates (Hawaii resident rates) so we got a good price. Parking was expensive but average price for SFO. Room was small but again it's SFO and most of the rooms are small.

The reason I didn't give it a 5 rating is because we pulled up to the front of the hotel but didn't see any valet people so parked and ran in to ask. Was told we have to circle the block and park on the backside of the hotel. Well it would have been nice for them to have somebody outside to let us know or greet us. As parking is very difficult in SFO. We pulled into the back valet area and then had to unload and carry our bags down the stair to the lobby. There is no elevator from parking area to the lobby. I would have thought that they would have a bell desk outside to take our bags and then tell us where to go for the valet parking. Would have been so much easier for us and I'm sure other guests would feel the same. Parking is based on a 24hr period so if you check in at 8pm you can park until 8pm the next day which was nice.

Check in was easy and front desk from helpful and friendly. Concierge desk was very helpful and knowledgeable. The room was clean and comfortable. Nothing fancy but it was a nice place to stay in a great location. A cable car stop is at the end of the block which is a very short walk. Lots of shopping and places to eat. Room had a view of a roof and the side of the bldg but oh well.. We didn't come to SFO to stay in the room and look out the window so it's not a big deal for us.

Check out was easy. Since we were going to walk around the area we left our bags with the bell desk. When we were ready to get our car we let them know and they brought our bags up to the parking lot so I guess they have a special elevator for staff. This was nice. I was worried that we would have to carry our bags up stairs.

Overall it was a nice stay. I'd stay here again if I wanted a place in Union Square.

1  Thank Shawn S
HandleryHotelsMgr, Owner at Handlery Union Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Aloha Shawn S,
Mahalo for staying at the Handlery and I am glad you overall enjoyed your stay. We have changed our staffing and now have a bellman stationed at the garage to assist our guests at check in. I was pleased that you found our location ideal for your visit and we look forward to having you back from the Islands again.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

The Handlery was easy to find and had convenient valet parking. Its location was perfect for us since we had events planned nearby that allowed us to walk to most. Check-in was fast, friendly and efficient. The staff overall was extremely friendly and knowledgeable. We got excellent wine-buying tips from the concierge and particularly personal service from the bell staff (Hermie). The rooms are small, but not unexpected in an older hotel in this area. The furniture and furnishings were all brand new and the place was spotlessly clean. The only flaws were minor maintenance items in the public areas and a broken window lock in our room. Temperature controls were modern and effective. Overall, we had a very nice experience and would return if their competitive prices remain.

3  Thank Ninjaneer1

Dear ninjaneer1,
Thank you for visiting from Virginia and I was glad to see you enjoyed the hotel, our location and our staff. I will let Hermie know how much you appreciated his service. Thank you again for staying at the Handlery.

President, Handlery, Hotels

Reviewed June 9, 2013

This hotel is in a great location. Be sure to check out the little Dr Suess museum next door. Right in the heart of union square, this hotel was very convienent. Rooms were clean, and the pool and sauna were a nice touch. We had a very plesant stay, and the employess were very helpful. The bloody marys in the little bar were delicious!!! All in all, the Handlery was a great little hotel, and we really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Moons926
HandleryHotelsMgr, Owner at Handlery Union Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

Dear Moons926,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed our sauna and outdoor heated pool. I was also pleased that you found our location central for your needs and our staff helpful. We look forward to having you stay again.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

After my unfortunate experience last year, I didn't have occasion to return to San Francisco overnight until early June of this year. I had made some plans to meet up Saturday evening with some friends near Union Square. Several other hotels wanted to charge in excess of $400 a night after taxes, and I simply couldn't justify such an exorbitant cost. I remembered that the management had replied to my previous review, asking me to come back and give them another try. Given they had prices at least comparable to some of the cheaper nearby hotels, and I at least knew where the hotel was, I decided to give it one more try.

I'm glad I did, the experience was not actually all that different, but given I talked to people on the phone and made sure to double check the date and pricing, I was more able to appreciate the people, which is what makes this hotel great. The concierge John was incredibly helpful finding food, recommending places both upscale and casual. Matt at the front desk walked me through some tips for the historic side of the hotel (you can request, though you're not guaranteed a specific room on most rates and it's somewhat potluck as to exactly how large your room is.) Neither of the two historic suites was unworkably cramped, though the one I stayed in this visit was downright spacious, with a separate bedroom and living room. In both cases the fridge has also been available for use from the get go, to store whatever you like (sadly an increasing rarity).

But really, the hotel room isn't what makes a great hotel experience, just a good one. The people are what elevates it further, and in this case every single staff we interacted with was professional and above and beyond helpful. The valets were quick, the concierge knowledgeable, the front desk staff affable and understanding while the cleaning staff were accommodating and thorough.

While I have a few small nitpicks with the facilities (the pure hot water very quickly got too hot to wash my hands in the small sink, and the elevators are tiny) the only reason I wouldn't give a 5/5 is because I was out and about too much to really evaluate enough of the hotel to feel confidant in a perfect score.

Dear David A,
Thank you for staying at the Handlery and giving us another try to meet your expectations. I was pleased to read that you found your room enjoyable and your communication experience with our staff a very positive one. We hope to have you back and again and I will share your nice comments with our employees.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for two nights prior to going to Napa in May 2013. We were celebrating our 5th Anniversary. I booked a permier room with balcony and I called the day before to ensure we'd the room we reserved and let them know we'd be in very late after and east to west coast flight. I also mentioned it was our anniversary. When we arrived, the lady at the front desk said they'd upgraded us to "their suite". We figured they had a lot of suites to which we had one, from looking at their website, but this room was gigantic, well appointed, complete with origional fireplace, 4-person table, a bay window and a set of three more windows, a sofa, two chairs, desk, coffee table, a seperate kitchenette, a bathroom the size of some bedrooms with two sinks, two closets, and an great bedroom with double pocket doors, a very comfortable bed, and another bay window. (No balcony, which was kind of a bummer, but the suite was awesome.) I couldn't even find the room on their website to book it if I'd wanted to. Anyway, the staff was very friendly and unobtrusive, the hotel was great and in a great location. The only down side was that even on the 7th floor, the street noise was loud. We felt like we were practically on the street it was so loud. You might bring a set of ear plugs if you're a light sleeper. I'd definately recommend it to a friend!

Room Tip: If you're celebration, tell them about it! And pick up the phone and call... it never hurts!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kimghi

Dear kimghi,
Thank you for staying at the Handlery and Happy 5th Anniversary! I am glad you enjoyed the San Francisco suite which is the only one in the entire hotel. It is also know as the Owner's suite because I lived in the room for seven years as the Resident Manager for my father. I am glad you had a wonderful time with us and in San Fran and we hope to have you back soon.