“San Francisco Fun”

Ranked #68 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“San Francisco Fun”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

This hotel is in a great location. Be sure to check out the little Dr Suess museum next door. Right in the heart of union square, this hotel was very convienent. Rooms were clean, and the pool and sauna were a nice touch. We had a very plesant stay, and the employess were very helpful. The bloody marys in the little bar were delicious!!! All in all, the Handlery was a great little hotel, and we really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Moons926
HandleryHotelsMgr, Owner at Handlery Union Square Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear Moons926,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed our sauna and outdoor heated pool. I was also pleased that you found our location central for your needs and our staff helpful. We look forward to having you stay again.

President, Handlery Hotels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (906)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 8, 2013

After my unfortunate experience last year, I didn't have occasion to return to San Francisco overnight until early June of this year. I had made some plans to meet up Saturday evening with some friends near Union Square. Several other hotels wanted to charge in excess of $400 a night after taxes, and I simply couldn't justify such an exorbitant cost. I remembered that the management had replied to my previous review, asking me to come back and give them another try. Given they had prices at least comparable to some of the cheaper nearby hotels, and I at least knew where the hotel was, I decided to give it one more try.

I'm glad I did, the experience was not actually all that different, but given I talked to people on the phone and made sure to double check the date and pricing, I was more able to appreciate the people, which is what makes this hotel great. The concierge John was incredibly helpful finding food, recommending places both upscale and casual. Matt at the front desk walked me through some tips for the historic side of the hotel (you can request, though you're not guaranteed a specific room on most rates and it's somewhat potluck as to exactly how large your room is.) Neither of the two historic suites was unworkably cramped, though the one I stayed in this visit was downright spacious, with a separate bedroom and living room. In both cases the fridge has also been available for use from the get go, to store whatever you like (sadly an increasing rarity).

But really, the hotel room isn't what makes a great hotel experience, just a good one. The people are what elevates it further, and in this case every single staff we interacted with was professional and above and beyond helpful. The valets were quick, the concierge knowledgeable, the front desk staff affable and understanding while the cleaning staff were accommodating and thorough.

While I have a few small nitpicks with the facilities (the pure hot water very quickly got too hot to wash my hands in the small sink, and the elevators are tiny) the only reason I wouldn't give a 5/5 is because I was out and about too much to really evaluate enough of the hotel to feel confidant in a perfect score.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear David A,
Thank you for staying at the Handlery and giving us another try to meet your expectations. I was pleased to read that you found your room enjoyable and your communication experience with our staff a very positive one. We hope to have you back and again and I will share your nice comments with our employees.

Hackettstown, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed June 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for two nights prior to going to Napa in May 2013. We were celebrating our 5th Anniversary. I booked a permier room with balcony and I called the day before to ensure we'd the room we reserved and let them know we'd be in very late after and east to west coast flight. I also mentioned it was our anniversary. When we arrived, the lady at the front desk said they'd upgraded us to "their suite". We figured they had a lot of suites to which we had one, from looking at their website, but this room was gigantic, well appointed, complete with origional fireplace, 4-person table, a bay window and a set of three more windows, a sofa, two chairs, desk, coffee table, a seperate kitchenette, a bathroom the size of some bedrooms with two sinks, two closets, and an great bedroom with double pocket doors, a very comfortable bed, and another bay window. (No balcony, which was kind of a bummer, but the suite was awesome.) I couldn't even find the room on their website to book it if I'd wanted to. Anyway, the staff was very friendly and unobtrusive, the hotel was great and in a great location. The only down side was that even on the 7th floor, the street noise was loud. We felt like we were practically on the street it was so loud. You might bring a set of ear plugs if you're a light sleeper. I'd definately recommend it to a friend!

Room Tip: If you're celebration, tell them about it! And pick up the phone and call... it never hurts!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kimghi
Dear kimghi,
Thank you for staying at the Handlery and Happy 5th Anniversary! I am glad you enjoyed the San Francisco suite which is the only one in the entire hotel. It is also know as the Owner's suite because I lived in the room for seven years as the Resident Manager for my father. I am glad you had a wonderful time with us and in San Fran and we hope to have you back soon.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 6, 2013

An old hotel with a somewhat newer area at the rear. Nothing fancy but good rates, fantastic location and clean. Surrounded by Irish Pubs worth a drink or two and a meal in. Walking distance to all the major department stores (Bloomingdales, Norstrom, Macy') and high end and chains shops. Also very close by tram cars and easy flagging down of cabs.

Room Tip: Newer section (might be over 15 years old) is a bit of a walk upstairs and past the pool. If you st...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank cmuntz
G'day cmuntz,
Thank you for staying at the Handlery and I was pleased to read you found our location, rooms and cleanliness exceeded your expectations. I look forward to having you visit from Australia again.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 5, 2013

After spending time at the Handlery 21 years ago, our friends and I have returned for my husband and friends 50th birthday. I was absolutely delighted to see that the same excellent standard of service was extended. The location is great, rooms very comfortable, great value for money and the bonus breakfast was delicious! Our family is travelling here the end of the year and we will definitely be recommending the Handlery to them. Our only recommendation would be to have washing facilities for travelling people. Keep up the good work Handlery.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Leanne E
Dear Leanne E,
First a belated Happy Birthday to your husband and your friend. Great to have you back although 21 years is too long. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope to have you back maybe on the 51st birthday. Thanks again for staying with us.

Kaneohe, Hawaii, United States
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Stayed here a couple days because we were Kamaaina's and they gave a Kamaaina rate. Still expensive, but I suppose that is to be expected. The rooms were roomy enough. The service was good. The bellmen and front desk and housekeeping were great and friendly. We had a room on the level of the pool deck. It was fine. Thought it was going to be noisy. But it was fine. Kids enjoyed the pool. The hotel is very central to the BART station, cable car, lots of eating places in walking distance. Lots of shopping. Westridge mall just a couple blocks away. Parkings was 42$ for guests. Rental car place just across the street. So we returned our rental car. Didn't need it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Shari I
Aloha Shari I,
Thank you for staying at the Handlery and I was pleased that you overall enjoyed your visit. I was also pleased that your kids appreciated our outdoor heated pool. We look forward to having you back from the Aloha State again.

Mahalo,
Australia
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We spent 3 nights here, it was our first time in San Francisco. The location is great with many stores and restaurants nearby. The Daily Grill was lovely for breakfast. We received good service and the room was clean, however we had to drag our suitcases up a flight of stairs past the pool to get to the lifts that would take us to our room - not fun. They need a service to assist you with your bags - we were just given a map of how to get to our room.
Overall the hotel was good, but try to get a room in the front section of the hotel so you don't have to drag your luggage up the stairs.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Emma_S_Aus77
Dear Emma_S_Aus77,
Thank you for your recent posting on TripAdvisor about your stay at our hotel. I was happy to see you enjoyed your accommodations and your dining experience in the Daily Grill. I do apologize for the inconvenience of walking between the two sections in our hotel. Unfortunately, the hotel use to be two hotels that we merged into one. Our problem is that the two sections sit on two different blocks and we have not be able to connect them together in a more simpler fashion. Thank you again for staying with us.