Handlery Union Square Hotel
$233
$185
MysticHotel.com
  • Restaurant
Comfort Inn by the Bay(San Francisco)
$199
$189
  • Breakfast included
Club Quarters Hotel in San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$259
$206
  • Restaurant
InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$227
$195
  • Room Service
San Francisco Marriott Marquis(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$458
$409
Marriott Hotels
  • Bar/Lounge
InterContinental San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$348
$297
InterContinental
  • Pool
$349
$309
  • Restaurant
Hotel Rex San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$241
$187
Orbitz.com
  • Restaurant
Hotel Zoe Fisherman's Wharf(San Francisco)
$294
$239
Travelocity
4,181 results
All reviewshistoric sectionunion squaredaily grill restaurantpremier sectiongreat locationpremier roombreakfast voucherso'farrell streetolder partcable carheated poolbreakfast was includedour honeymoontravel agenthop on hopstayed here for nightscentral location
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 21, 2013

This hotel is in a great location, the staff are really friendly, professional and very helpful. The rooms are oldish and quite small really only suitable for sleeping. You can hear people walking past, showering and toilets flushing. The restaurant was good, the staff very hospitable.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jem2359
Reviewed April 19, 2013

After visiting wine country in Sonoma County I had 6 nights including over Easter in the Handlery, (which I picked mainly from good Trip Advisor reviews) to play tourist. My only disappointment as an overseas visitor was not being told what the likelihood of shops opening or not on Easter Sunday was. That was my last day and as I had been too busy earlier with sightseeing tours I had not yet shopped at Macy's or looked at their flower show,so I then missed out. The hotel knew I was staying 6 nights and could easily make an information pack about that for their guests or just a single sheet . As it was, the department stores and the Westfield were not open whereas some other stores like Levi Strauss and the Designer Shoe Warehouse were.
It was an amazing location, step out the front door, walk past about 4 shops/restaurants and there is Union Square( for non-San Franciscans like me, that is the sort of "downtown" area with all the main shops, odd to me as an Aucklander as our "downtown" is on the harbour/waterfront whereas for them it is not) A lot of the sightseeing tours leave from Union Square but some from Fisherman's wharf ( the waterfront) which is a $6 cable car or a $15 cab ride away.
I tended to not eat breakfast, which was not included in my rate, at the hotel. The hotel restaurant The Daily Grill had a relatively expensive breakfast compared with other nearby offerings, so look around.I only ate there once when it was pouring with rain on my last morning.
I loved my room- as staying 6 nights they did upgrade me to a newer room( room 567), which was spacious and quiet. Beautifully serviced. I used the heated outdoor pool once, great to have available. I found the front desk staff member Manny and the concierge John very helpful and pleasant. I would stay again with my husband and family.

Room Tip: The newer part of the hotel has larger, quieter rooms which have a small balcony overlooking the outdoor pool in a courtyard
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank AnonymousAuckland
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Location is excellent as within block from Union Square. Service was very good especially upon Check In as initial room had musty smell, and asked to see another room. No issues - easily changed to a newer larger room , very accommodating. Noise to me is not an issue, you are in the city and occasionally hear a siren or honk, of course right. overall a very good experience.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sryan001
Reviewed April 16, 2013

My family and i (2 adults and 2 children) stayed at the Handlery for 2 nights as part of a multi-centre holiday. This was the beginning of our trip and first impressions of the hotel were very good. The bell boys were very helpful but unfortunately check-in wasn’t as smooth as hoped. There was a ‘mix up’ and they handed us 2 vouchers for breakfast when there was 4 of us. At first they said the information on the computer said 2 only and they were not going to provide us with 4 meals, however after some discussion it was decided that the hotel can invoice our travel agent (Virgin Holidays) for the ‘extra meals’. Can I also point out that the staff had never heard of Virgin Holidays???

When we eventually got to the room we were impressed with the size, i.e. plenty room for 4, a nice TV, hot drink facilities etc… Our room was clean and fresh with a rear facing room and overlooked more rooms so there wasn’t much of a view but we didn’t spend much time in the hotel anyway. Some people have mentioned the city noise during the night, we managed to sleep all the way through without any disturbances.

As part of our holiday we were celebrating my son’s 9th birthday and asked staff at reception if it was possible for the Daily Grill staff to give him a mention and say happy birthday to him during our breakfast, this would make his first day in San Fran that little bit more special. They said to mention this to the restaurant staff on arrival so we did. Once we were seated drinks and food were ordered and we waited for our breakfast. My wife asked for a glass of water while we were waiting and the man pointed out that he was the manager of Daily Grill but will still get the water. There was very few tables occupied but seemed to be allot of staff. Our food arrived with no mention of my son’s birthday yet…. We ate our meal and still no mention…. And guess what no water either. I asked another staff member for a glass of water and she looked at me and ignored me as she was not the waitress for our table. I asked our waitress and she did not bring the water either. By this time we were finished our breakfast and drank our coffee. I politely asked to speak to the manager to regarding this and he admitted he had forgotten to bring the water and apologised for not mentioning my sons birthday, we accepted his apology and left. I found that the attitude of the staff was very unfriendly and unhelpful however the manager was more polite but had clearly forgotten about his customers.
You couldn’t fault the hotel location as its literally on Union Square.

Check-out went smoothly but I’d like to say due to the issues with the unhelpful staff at the Daily Grill and “mix-up” at check-in I will not be staying at the Handlery again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank leepatrickson
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We really enjoyed our time at the Handlery. Our King Suite was in the historic part of the building and the room itself was huge, lovely and well appointed. We found the housekeeping and front desk staff extremely friendly and helpful. We did have noise issues during the night with the drummer down the street and some time of metal banging around 3 am but the noise did not dampen our enthusiasm for the hotel. Location of the hotel was perfect for our needs.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple