My family and i (2 adults and 2 children) stayed at the Handlery for 2 nights as part of a multi-centre holiday. This was the beginning of our trip and first impressions of the hotel were very good. The bell boys were very helpful but unfortunately check-in wasn’t as smooth as hoped. There was a ‘mix up’ and they handed us 2 vouchers for breakfast when there was 4 of us. At first they said the information on the computer said 2 only and they were not going to provide us with 4 meals, however after some discussion it was decided that the hotel can invoice our travel agent (Virgin Holidays) for the ‘extra meals’. Can I also point out that the staff had never heard of Virgin Holidays???
When we eventually got to the room we were impressed with the size, i.e. plenty room for 4, a nice TV, hot drink facilities etc… Our room was clean and fresh with a rear facing room and overlooked more rooms so there wasn’t much of a view but we didn’t spend much time in the hotel anyway. Some people have mentioned the city noise during the night, we managed to sleep all the way through without any disturbances.
As part of our holiday we were celebrating my son’s 9th birthday and asked staff at reception if it was possible for the Daily Grill staff to give him a mention and say happy birthday to him during our breakfast, this would make his first day in San Fran that little bit more special. They said to mention this to the restaurant staff on arrival so we did. Once we were seated drinks and food were ordered and we waited for our breakfast. My wife asked for a glass of water while we were waiting and the man pointed out that he was the manager of Daily Grill but will still get the water. There was very few tables occupied but seemed to be allot of staff. Our food arrived with no mention of my son’s birthday yet…. We ate our meal and still no mention…. And guess what no water either. I asked another staff member for a glass of water and she looked at me and ignored me as she was not the waitress for our table. I asked our waitress and she did not bring the water either. By this time we were finished our breakfast and drank our coffee. I politely asked to speak to the manager to regarding this and he admitted he had forgotten to bring the water and apologised for not mentioning my sons birthday, we accepted his apology and left. I found that the attitude of the staff was very unfriendly and unhelpful however the manager was more polite but had clearly forgotten about his customers.
You couldn’t fault the hotel location as its literally on Union Square.
Check-out went smoothly but I’d like to say due to the issues with the unhelpful staff at the Daily Grill and “mix-up” at check-in I will not be staying at the Handlery again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Handlery Union Square Hotel is located in the heart of San Francisco's Union Square, within walking distance of world class shops, the Moscone Center, and the Powell Street cable car line. All 377 rooms feature wireless Internet access, mini refrigerators, and in-room safes. Enjoy traditional accommodations in the Historic Section or luxurious, oversized rooms in the Club Section. The hotel features on site valet parking, an outdoor heated pool, sauna, and room service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity and Despegar.com so you can book your Handlery Union Square Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Handlery Union Square San Francisco
- Hotel Handlery Union Square
- Handlery Hotel San Francisco