My company booked me into the Handlery Union Square Hotel for the Photonics West show this year - I had room 202. After staying last year at "The Good Hotel" south of Market Street I was happy not to stay SOM again.
What I liked
- Friendly check-in and service people
- Good setup of rooms and lobby (space to sit down etc.)
- For San Francisco downtown quite large rooms
- Fast Internet available for all devices without much login hazzle
- Comfy beds
- Large bathroom with shower
- Good but expensive breakfast
- Next to Union Square shopping and the Moscone Center
- Inside pool area (I didn't use it but it looked lovely)
What I didn't like
- I have never seen a hotel where the windows are so old and don't block any noise. You hear the noise of the street as if the windows are open (but they were closed). Being at a very busy corner some people might have problems sleeping at all in this noise (I was half sick and exhausted from the show so I slept pretty good).
- Since the windows are not isolated at all cold air is coming in from any corner of the room. You have to run in winter time the noisy air conditioner the whole night.
- The air conditioner is probably 30 years old and in the ceiling over the bed. So warm air is blowing on you the whole night which eventually lead to an eye infection for me
- $169 a night is quite high priced but probably considered OK in CA. Still a lot of money
- The neighborhood feels like South of Market with a lot of beggars and drunk people around the hotel. It never feels really save to walk.
I probably would stay here again just because of the lack of alternatives. However I always will cut my stay downtown as short as possible and then move to cheaper hotels as soon as the show is over waiting for my flight home.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Handlery Union Square Hotel is located in the heart of San Francisco's Union Square, within walking distance of world class shops, the Moscone Center, and the Powell Street cable car line. All 377 rooms feature wireless Internet access, mini refrigerators, and in-room safes. Enjoy traditional accommodations in the Historic Section or luxurious, oversized rooms in the Club Section. The hotel features on site valet parking, an outdoor heated pool, sauna, and room service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Despegar.com, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Priceline, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Handlery Union Square Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Handlery Union Square San Francisco
- Hotel Handlery Union Square
- Handlery Hotel San Francisco