“Great Location”

Handlery Union Square Hotel
Ranked #69 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Location wise this is a great hotel, right in the middle of the shopping hub of San Fran, close to the malls, trams, buses etc. Loads of eating places all around. Limited wifi connection was a bit of a nuisance, so we went to the closest Star Bucks, along with many others. The hotel is fairly dated, but the rooms are nice, clean, roomy, with very comfy beds. The lift wasn't working when we arrived so we had to haul our bags up several flights of stairs. Didn't seem to be anyone willing to help us with it. Overall, a good place to stay, value for money.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
HandleryHotelsMgr, Owner at Handlery Union Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2013

Dear CSimmonds,
Thank you for your feedback on our hotel after your recent stay. I was pleased that overall you enjoyed your visit and we have just enhanced our wifi and it's now complimentary. I do apologize the inconvenience with regards to the lift. I have actually visited Hamilton on a number of occasions on my way back from Rotorua to Auckland. Thank you again for staying with us.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

Handlery is tired. Its pretty ugly. Its a little dirty. Its overpriced.

The staff is very nice. It is right on Union Square.

Our room was in the older motel like part of the hotel. It was quiet. The pool looked pretty bad but we did not use it. Our friends told us the tower rooms were no better.

So, in summary, you can do better and you should.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank winetraveler17
HandleryHotelsMgr, Owner at Handlery Union Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Dear winetraveller17,
Thank you for your feedback and I am sorry that your stay was not as pleasant as you would have liked. I wish you had contacted me while you were here as I am sure I could have found a room you would have enjoyed. Again, my apologies for the inconvenience.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

What a great location trolleys on the corner shops everywhere 10-15 mins to all the tourist spots and nice friendly clean hotel which we couldn't find fault with.
We got great room overlooking the pool it was like a quite oasis nice and relaxing on the balcony coffee in the morning and nice cold beer in the evening brilliant. When we go to san fran again booking this hotel again.

Room Tip: New block inside overlooking pool.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Dear jackodanapoint,
Thank you for choosing the Handlery Union Square Hotel on your visit to San Francisco. I am glad you found our location great and that you enjoyed our Premier Rooms with the balconies that overlook our pool and courtyard area. We hope to have you back soon.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

Stayed here for an overnight shopping trip with my 21yo daughter. The location is ideal, all the stores are within easy walking distance. Rooms are small but clean and beds were comfy. We had an inside room, no view but quiet, I imagine outside rooms could be noisy as this is a busy area. Service was prompt & friendly and while I felt the price was a bit high (we come every yr & I can usually find a room for about $100, but everything was at least $200 this yr), I think this place is competitive with all the better older hotels @ Union Square. Happy hr @ the Daily Grill was great, best Cosmo around! Overall, a very nice stay.

Room Tip: View room might be noisy, opt for inside room for a quiet stay. Happy hour @ Daily Grill: good drink...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Dear water7996,
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at the Handlery. I was happy to read that you found our location ideal and your room clean and our beds comfy. I agree the happy hour in the Daily Grill is one of the best deals and their "cosmos" are fantastic. Thanks again for staying with us.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stayed at this hotel while in town for a conference. My room was in the old section, small, but had a comfortable bed, desk, refrigerator in the TV cabinet, no dresser, but ample room in the closet and nightstands to unpack for a week, and there was a safe in the closet. I had a comfy chair and ottoman to work on my laptop--wifi is not necessarily free, but they may give it to you if you ask. I had a wonderful bay window that looked out on Geary St and could see Union Square--lots of street noise, so if that bothers you, ask for the new section in back! I took the streetcar from the corner to get to the conference and down to Fisherman's Wharf, and was able to book a 7-day pass and have that waiting for me when I checked in! Concierge and all hotel staff were friendly, helpful and accommodating and were not constantly looking for a tip for every little thing. (I did tip for help with luggage, cabs, tours, and dinner reservations, not for recommendations on places to eat while sightseeing.) I would LOVE to go back here again!

Room Tip: Rooms on the street are noisy, but great atmosphere--they will gladly give earplugs at the front des...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Dear SunnyFree,
Thank you for your comments on your stay at our hotel. I am glad you found our staff friendly, helpful and accommodating and that your room was comfortable. We look forward to having you back from Virginia again.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

Property was good for business travel and meeting accommodations. Location was excellent with respect to shopping, dining, entertainment, BART station, etc.

Associated restaurant (Daily Grill) was a bit unfriendly to a party of one for breakfast on November 8, 2012. Said it would be a 15-20 minute wait for a table for one. This while staring at 15 open tables. When asked why those weren't available, the hostess said, "We've already set them for 4 people and don't want to pull clean dishes off." Perhaps one of the most incredibly stupid comments I've ever heard. At least 3 patrons left after this treatment. That said, food was fine and so was the server. Hostess could maybe use some "big picture" enlightenment.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Dear rvanreken,
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at the Handlery. I was pleased that you enjoyed your visit and my apologies that not all aspects of your dining experience were enjoyable. I was pleased that you found the food enjoyable. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

We recently stayed at the Hotel Handlery in San Francisco for two nights while celebrating our 40th anniversary. The staff was excellent from checking to checkout. The hotel s in a great location with easy access to the cable cars ad the trolleys. Our room was exceptionally clean and for a downtown hotel, very roomy. The concierge was very helpful with suggestions for sights ad restaurants and the front desk help was a pleasure to deal with. We were 2 couples both celebrating our 40th anniversaries and this was the sat leg of a 10 day trip that began in San Diego. We ad entwined our anniversary and the hotel sent a battle of champagne to each room. Nice touch. We all highly recommend this hotel. It was difficult to leave this hotel and city and return to Boston.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the back. Not much of a view but very quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
HandleryHotelsMgr, Owner at Handlery Union Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2013

Dear rjoyal6276,
Thank you for visiting from Beantown and I am glad your experience at our hotel was positive. I was also glad to see that our concierge staff met your needs and before I forget, HAPPY 40TH.
We look forward to having you back on your 41st. Thank you again for staying with us.