“Good Central Location”

Handlery Union Square Hotel
Ranked #74 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed November 7, 2011

Only yards from Union Square this excellent boutique hotel is a good place to stay whilst in San Francisco. We stayed 3 nights on our way to Honolulu, the hotel is of a very good standard, staff very helpful and efficent. Our 4th floor room was perfect for our needs and could not be faulted. The attached restaurant was also of a good quality and again the staff were attentive at all times. It was worth booking for evening meal as the restaurant is open to non residents and can get very busy. The situation of the hotel is such that you can easily walk to other restaurants and if you are relatively fit, walk to the financial district, chinatown, little Italy and Fishermans Wharf.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
HusbandofMargaret, Owner at Handlery Union Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2011

Dear Geoham69,
Thank you for choosing to visit the City by the Bay, as well as, staying at the Handlery. I am pleased you found our location ideal and I agree you need to be fit to walk to Fisherman's Wharf. I prefer a cable car ride to the harbour area and, as you found out ,the cable cars are only steps away from our front door. The Daily Grill does have great food and is very popular with the locals so booking a reservation is always a good idea. Thanks again and hope to see you soon.

President, Handlery Hotels

Write a ReviewReviews (4,134)

Reviewed November 6, 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights and found it to be very comfortable and it's in a very good location. Room was clean and tidy and bed was comfortable.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family

Dear Dougiet33,
Thank you for staying at the Handlery while you were in San Francisco. Hopefully your visit to our city was enjoyable and I was pleased that you had a comfortable and pleasant stay at our hotel. Someday I hope to visit the beautiful country of Scotland. Thanks again for choosing to stay with us.

Reviewed November 5, 2011

We arrived at this boutique hotel in the afternoon and found the front desk to be very helpful. Went to the room, unpacked and suddenly there were loud noises from the street. The hotel across the road apparently had issues with past staff and they could demonstrate on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays for about one and a half hours in the afternoon and then Saturday morning at seven am. This had been going on for months. The Handlery is great but they should have told us about this noise. Fortunately we wanted to get up early on Saturday ... we did not have to use the hotel wake up system. The conceirge was very helpful and the location was great for restaurants, shopping and cable cars stops. We ate at the Daily Grill a few times and stopped in the bar as well. Interestingly we felt an earthquake one night while in the bar.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear EJGnpa,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your stay at the Handlery Union Square Hotel. I was glad you enjoyed your stay and that your conversations with our Concierge staff were positive. I have asked the union if they could not be so loud but they have refused my request. We have placed ear plugs in all of our street side rooms until the situation at the other hotel is resolved. Thank you again for your feedback. Someday I hope to get to Neepawa for the famous Lily festival.

Reviewed November 2, 2011

It was our honeymoon and our first time visiting San Francisco. After hours of research reading reviews on various hotels, various booking sites, and various neighborhoods to stay in, I contacted this hotel directly to ask a few questions. The staff was friendly, very informative and we ended up with a really nice room for a reasonable rate. The room was clean (very important), quiet (we were on the 5th floor with a private balcony facing the pool) & the bed was very comfortable. We did not keep our rental car with us while staying here but opted to experience the various forms of public transportation available - the location of this hotel ended up being very convenient for that. We would definitely stay here again and would recommend it for anyone wanting to stay in the downtown areas.

Room Tip: Talk to a person - make your reservation the old fashioned way - on a telephone - you'll know ju...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Cab827,
First, Congrats on your marriage. I am glad you found our hotel clean, quiet and our location convenient for your needs. I was also pleased that your interaction with our reservationist was a positive one. I have found memories of upper State New York as I attend Cornell in Ithaca. Thank you again for staying at the Handlery.

Reviewed November 2, 2011

I felt that the front desk personnel were at best corporate robots. In fact, they were dishonest and mean. My company reserved my room with a credit card. When I arrived, I used my ATM card (as I have stopped using credit cards) for incidentals. Upon entering my hotel room, my cell phone alerted me to a $500 charge on my debit card. Whoa! I wish I had been told that the whole balance for the room was going on my card. The front desk after an hour of conversation said to come back the next day to complete a series of faxes and phone calls. I was in The City to work not deal with hotels and banks. So, I then checked out of my room but was still charged for staying the night. They said that there was a penalty for canceling a reservation within 24-hours. I asked them to charge the credit card that held the reservation and not my debit card. No deal. They were not going to help me beyond taking one night off my atm card.

Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank aleator

Dear Aleator,
First, I'm sorry for the inconvenience you experienced on your recent stay. As a family owned and operated company we have always take pride in our service and I apologize that this did not occcur on your visit. I have already followed up with our front office staff on their lack of service. Please contact me on your next visit to San Francisco so I may personally handle your reservation. I am sure your next stay we will definitely exceed your expectations. Thank you again for your constructive feedback.

Reviewed October 31, 2011

Hotel is located in a great area, walking distance to lots of shopping. Remember when staying in San Francisco and taking your own car parking is expensive everywhere. Try to get a package deal with parking if possible. My husband and I felt the staff were very nice and the rooms nice and clean. I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms to rear of hotel are quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear lv2trvl42,
Thank you for your comments on your stay at our hotel. I was pleased to see you found our location on Union Square perfect for your visit and our accommodations met your standards. I was also pleased to see your interaction with our staff was a positive one. We look forward to having you back from the Bermuda Dunes soon.

Reviewed October 31, 2011

The best thing this hotel has to offer is proximity to Union Square. Other than that, not fabulous, but not horrible either.

The staff is friendly and accommodating. I stayed for a week on business and everyone recognized me by the end of the week and said hello.

The rooms are small and VERY basic, but passable. A bit on the noisy side, but that's the trade in for being so close to the city centre.

Daily Grill is the restaurant attached to the hotel - they also do room service so the grub is better than expected for an average rated hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business

Dear Ninama3,
I appreciated your opinion on your recent visit to our hotel. I'm glad you found our location central to your needs and that our staff was accommodating & friendly. Our rooms in the Historic Section do vary in size so on your next visit contact me so I can handle your reservation personally. Thank you again for staying with us.