“Pretty basic, but a great location”

Rodeway Inn & Suites San Francisco
Ranked #163 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed February 29, 2008

Although I did not take the free shuttle to the hospital, I stayed there because family of UCSF patients get a discount, and the location can't be beat. You can hear the ocean (the dunes are just too high to see it), and can treat yourself to a splendid walk on the beach or into Golden Gate Park.

Maintenance has declined since the first time I stayed -- my room had no toilet paper holder and I think an inaccurate thermometer though the heat does work if you move the lever to "emergency". And oddly, the room seemed to have no clock. The shower is primitive, but it works. The beds are not as comfortable as many. But the price is right (with the discount) and it's a great location to wake up in.

I had no problem at all with the staff. And on any night other than Thursday, you could get a thai meal or a pint of beer next door until 10 p.m.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank srca

Reviewed July 24, 2007

We arrived late in this area and the motel we wanted to stay at was booked out so had to find something fast. We ended up at this place which initially we thought okay but over the evening decided we did not consider it very good value and extremely basic. We had a double twin which cost $142 including tax. The room had not coffee making facility nor clock or iron and board!

We have not stayed in SF before therefore don't know if this price is good/bad for this level of accommodation. Though we have moved further along the beach one block back and paying about $25 more for a much more comfortable place with coffee, clock, a hot tub! We have paid a little more because we have two bedrooms one room doubling up with tv and fridge.

Our room had sea views but we did not feel very comfortable opening the curtain/door as other guests walking past could see in.

Stayed: July 2007
Reviewed July 3, 2007

Well, it's a good location if you're going to spend a lot of time at Ocean Beach. It's right there, and very handy. Also good if you don't plan on spending much time in the room. We were referred to this hotel by UCSF, where my husband was having surgery. It's really easy to get back & forth betweeen the Parnassus campus & this hotel. Pretty much a straight shot. Thank goodness I didn't spend much time in the room. It's clean, pretty much, but that's about all I can say for it. OLD furniture. And not much of it. Decoration? One of those 'wallpaper borders" pasted about waist level around the room. Pretty dismal. But the bathroom is clean, and the beds are OK. It even had a microwave & refrigerator. But no hair dryer, not even an ALARM CLOCK. And bring your own shampoo.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank cathiann
Reviewed January 18, 2007

While my husband was in the hospital at UCSF, I stayed in this hotel for 10 days. What I appreciated most was the flexibility I was allowed for the amount of time I needed to stay. They understood that the length of a hospital stay can vary so they gave me the option to check out early or stay on longer as needed. It was one less thing to worry about!

The room was very spacious, containing a queen size bed, large dresser with mirror, a table and chairs, additional drawer space in the tv stand, a refrig and microwave. The bathroom was also good size. The room was clean and the furniture was in good shape. The first room I was given was close to the stairs - I asked to move to a different room and was allowed to do so without any problems or hassle.

Patients/Family of UCSF are given a rate discount and free shuttle service to/from the hospital is provided upon request. The only draw back was that the shuttle does not run on the weekends. There is a Muni Bus stop two blocks from the hotel, down a well lit street, that runs to the hospital. I drove to the hospital a few times on my own - it's easy to find from this hotel and is only a 15 minute drive.

The hotel is close to the ocean and Golden Gate Park - both easily within walking distance. The hotel is in a good neighborhood. I would difinitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled on business
5  Thank Traveling_in_Two
Reviewed October 27, 2006

I used Sidestep the reservation came through worldres.

I have stayed in about 40 different hotels in San Francisco, but never anything outside of Downtown. I didn't stay downtown due to a convention at the Moscone center. I thank the convention for helping me find this hotel.

The Great Highway Inn came as a nice suprise.

The G.H Inn is 1 & 1/2 blocks off of the "N" Judah tram line, and is a very easy walk, to access anything in the city. I took the walk both evenings after sunset and felt at ease due to lighting and the numbers of other people useing the same walkng areas.

With exception to early evening traffic the Hotel is in a very quiet area. Quiet is something unheard of in downtown SF. Parking is free at G.H.Inn. There is a free shuttle to UCSF Medical Center. There is an on site restaurant.

The room amenities are not what those demanding special treatment, or being treated like king will expect, but the are what you need. If you want snacks you will have to go to a nearby store and get them. That takes a bit of thinking ahead while riding the "N" line where there are many choices. Ice is available in the office.

The room was clean, quiet and comfortable. I heard NO noise from adjoining rooms and had two very good nights of sleep. I am easily awakened and had no problems at the Great Highway Inn.

I mentioned in my reservation that I had some health problems and would be using the shuttle and would like a ground floor room. What I got was what I asked for.

Cudos to the Great Highway Inn.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled solo
2  Thank Travillez
Reviewed September 28, 2006

This was a very nice Room. We only stayed one night, but we stayed in a huge room with a ocean view and a king size bed. The room was a little pricey $135 was $10 extra for ocean view, but was very clean and had a lovely bathroom. The motel was near the famous Cliff House restaurant and right across the street from Golden Gate Park and Ocean Beach and we drove 2 miles to "The Haight " district. Also they offer free parking which is very rare in SF. I highly recommend this hotel for couples and families who want to stay near the ocean in San Francisco. Enjoy!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank StarZip
A TripAdvisor Member
Ivanhoe,California
Reviewed June 20, 2006

Stayed at the Great Highway Moter Inn on April 19 to 21st,2006. our trip was for my Dads brain surgery at UCSF. We booked here because we found out that the moter inn would take you to the hospital when you needed to go. I was a little concerned about return trip back to motel because I was told by another place that they will not pick you up at hospital for return to motel ! After staying here and using the Free Shuttle that the moter inn provides I was very happy as I found out they will take you to UCSF and pick you back up at hospital for return to moter inn ! No need to pay a taxi or expensive parking even if you could find it close by. We found our experience with the people running the Inn very pleasant. Our room was clean and okey on space,with a table and chairs and a refridgerator and microwave in room. If we needed to we would stay again.

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled on business