“Great location, great value!!!”
Review of Grant Plaza Hotel

Grant Plaza Hotel
Ranked #162 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We stayed at the Grant Plaza for 6 night with 4 adults in one room. After reading a lot of reviews we didn't expect much however where pleasantly surprised. This is a budget hotel in a great location. I would stay here again as its value for money it's not the Hilton but if your after somewhere to base yourself out of and rest your bones at night this is the place for you. It's old but does the job!

• Stayed: August 2013

Reviewed September 11, 2013

I was alone in this trip and I got a single room, it was minimal but clean and the bed was the best I had in my trips, very very comfortable. They cleaned the room and the bathroom everyday, the tv had just 5 channels but I wasn't in SF to keep myself in the hotel to watch tv. Perfect location in Chinatown close to Union Square and Market st.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

I wasn't expecting a palace and I didn't get one. However the place was clean, great shower, loads of clean towels daily. The office people were very obliging. Wifi was very good indeed even on the fourth floor. My room didn't have at all a desirable view but it was at the back and very quiet. The mattress was overdue for replacement. I liked being in Chinatown. Good evening food but breakfasts were difficult to come by. Very handy to the centre of town.

1  Thank flica3
Reviewed September 9, 2013

The rooms were a little dated but were clean and the bed was comfortable. It was in a great location and just what you need in San Francisco. It was great value for money as there is so much to do you'll be out most of the day anyway! It wasn't fancy or posh but was in a great location and you could walk everywhere - however my boyfriend and I like to walk! Fisherman's wharf was about 25 minutes walk and is quite hilly but we loved the walk in the morning. You can also walk to AT&T park if you want to.

Hotel is right near China Town which is great at night, also just down the road is a restaurant called Hops and Hominy which is a must!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Great location. I could walk to most of tourist attractions. Great atmosphere being in Chinatown which is full of cheap eats. Friendly staff. Room was small and old, but clean. View from my room was grim. I was worried my room was in full view of people in the opposite building as I needed to keep my window open in summer. Walls were thin that noise from the corridor and next rooms travelled.

Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

Please do not make the same mistake that I did when writing this review - I did not double check the address and left a review on the Grant Hotel NOT on the Grant Plaza.

We stayed in August 2013 and cannot speak highly enough of this hotel - especially in regards to customer service, value for money AND location.

See my review on the Grant hotel section for more detail but please check out what great value this is in comparison to other hotels in safe and convenient areas of this wonderful city.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 24, 2013

To start with the positives, the location of this hotel was superb! Couldn't ask for a better location. Right next to Union Square. Can jump on trams and buses very easily. Lots going on and lots of shops / restaurants very close by.

Another positive is that you get free Wi-Fi. We have just travelled around America and this was not the case in all the hotels we stayed in, although it was in most.

San Francisco is incredibly expensive for accommodation, this was a cheaper hotel.

Now for the negatives, some of the rooms have been re furnished, therefore I believe this will dictate the type of review the hotel receives.

We arrived late and like most people were in San Francisco to see the City, therefore hotel rooms are not usually that important to us, as long as they are clean and we can get a good nights sleep.

Unfortunately our room smelt of damp the moment we walked in. The room had a thick red / brown carpet, which was also damp. Therefore you couldn't walk on it bare footed or leave any items of clothing on the floor.
The room had damp up some of the walls, we took pictures, (and this is something we have never done before) as it was so poor! There was a bed side shelf which had not been fitted properly and therefore was being held up by folded up paper which had been pushed into the bracket to keep it up straight. There were holes in the walls and some had been filled by filler very poorly.

The wall paper was dirty and had black marks all over it, unfortunately this was next to our bed, so it was not a nice sight to wake up to. There was a black dirt mark where the bed had been up against the wall. Again we did take pictures as we were so disappointed.

One morning we woke up at 3am as we thought someone was in our room, however it was people talking in the room at the side of us, they were not speaking particularly loud, however we realised that all that separated our room to theirs was a cupboard door. (Not a normal door) This meant that throughout our stay we were awoken every day by next doors hairdryer or conversation, often very early in the morning or late at night.

Myself and my husband enjoy travelling and exploring Cities, and therefore tend to stay at no frills hotels as we do spend the most time outside of the hotel. However the poor cleanliness and noise made our stay entirely unacceptable. We would neither visit or recommend this hotel. As you may be unfortunate enough to get the room we stayed in.

San Francisco tips:

Cable car - Don't queue at the top or the bottom, get on a few stops up and wait a maximum of 15 minutes. If you wait at the start / end of the route, you are looking at an hour and half wait.

Trams - Cost 2 dollars, must have correct change.

Visit Alcatraz. Best attraction we visited in America, the audio tour is so interesting. Do the early bird visit as you get to wander around before it gets too busy. However you must book before hand.

Lombard street is a must see!!

Can catch the bus to Golden Gate bridge. The bus drivers are great and tell you where you need to change and what number bus you need. All for 2 dollars each way!!

Go down to Pier 39, so many great shops, can spend a good few hours here easily!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple