“The worst hotel i have ever seen”
Review of Grant Plaza Hotel

Grant Plaza Hotel
Ranked #149 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
“The worst hotel i have ever seen”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Dirty hotel in dirty area. Very old and noisy very veryyyyyy rude personnel ! I cant imagine any hotel worse than grant plaza. Thank god that my friend came and took me to her house.the service was awful and you could smell sth very bad all over the hotel. And imagine that for this hotel i paid$ 116 for one night. OMG. Never book any hotel from hotwire that you can not know the hotel before you pay completely. Overall a veryyyy bad experience

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Aziii

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My husband and I were looking for a cheap hotel in a good location, and this one fit the bill. It is very close to Union Square and lots of shopping, and is right in the action of Chinatown. Walkable to North Beach, Fisherman's Wharf, and the Embarcadero. Super easy access to the cable cars (a must-do!) as well. The hotel is very clean, the lobby is nice, the showers are powerful, and the beds are comfortable. Be advised- the rooms are very small. If you're like us and plan to stay mostly out and about during your trip, this shouldn't be an issue. My only complaint is that the toilets are super noisy.. I woke up the first night whenever other guests flushed but was so tired from walking the rest of the time that it wasn't much of an issue.

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Hotel is not expensive and located good in the beginning of the china town, not far from the shopping and financial area. There is not breakfast. Room is pretty small and cheap. What is ok is you are planning to visit the city instead of staying at the hotel all day. Shower is ok (with the door, not with the sticky curtain). Reception is friendly. You get a free wifi access as well.

Medan indonesia
Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Small room, but its clean. And great location, with a great (cheap) price. :)
Its in the chinatown, so for like me, asian people, its so easy to find a chinese restaurant with a cheap price. Just accross the hotel, theres a sushi restaurant and if u looking for a cheap and yummy breakfast like porridge and bread, just 5minutes walk

Warwick, NY
Reviewed May 15, 2013

After a two night stay here in March, I will give this property a 'Very Good' rating even though this review will show why you should be prepared and in survival mode, if you want to save some $$ and book this place for your SF vacation or business trip.

First of all, the rack rate here is less than half what other properties are charging. I paid $79. That should reveal something. I read all the reviews and my meta analysis said, go for it, but probably try to get a Priceline/Hotwire deal at the last minute and stay elsewhere. I got real busy before this particular business trip and forgot to get that last minute deal. In fact, I forgot where I had booked and had to check through my emails just before boarding my flight from JFK. I know, I'm getting way to lax about my travel arrangements. Anyhow, I arrived here just about Midnight via taxi from SFO. That arrival time didn't help. This is a somewhat sketchy neighborhood just about Midnight, as I discovered when I walked over to Union Square to get some basic toiletries. I've decided I'd rather buy on location than deal with the TSA 3-1-1 baggie reveal your assorted mini toiletries at x-ray. Quickly walked back to the Grant Plaza at 12:30 a.m. and they have to buzz you into the lobby. Which can be a little unnerving when the desk clerk is in the back and the homeless crazy is stumbling your way. But, hey, this is Chinatown. I saw the movie. Wait, that was NYC.

Anyway, the room. When I first entered the room, I thought they mistakenly put the bed in the corridor between the bathroom and the standard hotel room bed area. Nope, that was the whole room. I've never been in an SRO, but this is what I imagine they look like. Initially, I didn't even see a TV and thought about leaving. Yep, TV is critical. Then I found a tiny flat screen mounted on the corner wall near the door. Small, but usable. Then I checked out the bath. It looked like my father was the super. Everything was jury-rigged in the bath. The original decor was 1960s. The toilet was mounted on a piece of 1x wood. This actually made me feel a little sentimental for an era past and for the potential of making something work using materials at hand rather than conventional manufactured parts.

There was a large open vertical sliding window by the single-bed to an interior open atrium. Yes, I said single-bed. How often do you find those anymore? And the open atrium had other rooms' windows, plumbing drain pipes - because SF never freezes - and plenty of random odd human voices and other assorted strange sounds. For the time being, I left the window open for full effect.

The bed was rock hard. And I began to wonder if there would be any bugs. That's how borderline this hotel is - it makes you wonder and may even induce a psychosomatic itchiness. On the surface it seems clean enough. I didn't see any bugs - though I kept checking. And the staff is certainly nice enough. Something about the jury-rigged nature of the bathroom and the smallness of the room and TV, and the time of night, and the sounds from other rooms - makes one question - everything. Including possible options at this late hour. Primarily another hotel... At any cost.

Back to the online reviews - because even though it was now 4 a.m. East Coast Time, I couldn't sleep. I was watching an episode of SVU that was just riveting enough to take my mind off of my seeming predicament and surfing the web on my iPhone trying to figure out why others had liked this hotel. Did others really say this place was okay? Did anyone who didn't like this property report anything terrible??? And here is where I discovered the answer. Someone actually wrote the following, or something like this, "Would you go to a fast food restaurant, order off the value menu, and then complain it wasn't a five star meal? No, you wouldn't. So, don't stay at this hotel and expect the same things you expect when you stay at a five star hotel. Quit complaining, and be a survivor, because I'm a Survivor, and this place is just fine!" That made me laugh out loud, and I fell asleep.

In the end, I survived my two-night stay. It was clean. The staff was very nice. I did sleep well, after I closed the window. There were no bugs. The TV, though small, worked. And in daylight, Chinatown was as cool and bustling with friendly activity, as ever. I love Chinatown in SF and that goes a long way in my book to rate this hotel as "Very Good - Just be in Survival Mode." Location is key, right? Take care. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Street view, maybe.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank WarwickTraveler29
Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here for 4 nights and found it a very pleasurable stay. The room, although small, was a very comfortable size for our needs and thoroughly cleaned throughout our stay. We used our hotel as a base for taking in the sights and sounds of The City, and for this, the location was fantastic! Union sq is less than a 5min walk away and all the attractions of Fishermans Wharf & the piers, is a leisurely 20-30 min walk. Alternatively, busses traveling to every part of the city you might like to visit, stop only a block or two away. Most importantly, we both felt very safe in this hotel and the surrounding area.

Pros: clean, comfortable, safe, great location & the free wifi was fantastic!

Cons: at 6ft tall I found the shower head was a little low and had to crouch under it to wash my hair, but nothing that would stop me from staying here again.

All in all I would thoroughly recommend this hotel. For the money, you could not expect better.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Aaron C
Tempe, Arizona
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We stayed 3 nights at the Grant Plaza Hotel and we were very pleased with the accomodations, especially for the price we paid. The location couldn't be better for walking to Fisherman's Wharf, Union Station and the Ferry Building where the tours we took started. The room wasn't huge but it was very clean and tastefully decorated, and how much time do you really want to spend in your room with so many incredible sights to see, anyway? The bathroom was updated and very clean, too. The staff was very nice and we were especially thankful to be able to leave our luggage in a room off the lobby after we checked out so we could enjoy the day before leaving in the evening. We'd definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side, away from the street traffic, are quieter.
1 Thank Joyce G