“Good location”
Review of Grant Plaza Hotel

Grant Plaza Hotel
Ranked #157 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Hotel is not expensive and located good in the beginning of the china town, not far from the shopping and financial area. There is not breakfast. Room is pretty small and cheap. What is ok is you are planning to visit the city instead of staying at the hotel all day. Shower is ok (with the door, not with the sticky curtain). Reception is friendly. You get a free wifi access as well.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Grant Plaza Hotel

Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Small room, but its clean. And great location, with a great (cheap) price. :)
Its in the chinatown, so for like me, asian people, its so easy to find a chinese restaurant with a cheap price. Just accross the hotel, theres a sushi restaurant and if u looking for a cheap and yummy breakfast like porridge and bread, just 5minutes walk

Reviewed May 15, 2013

After a two night stay here in March, I will give this property a 'Very Good' rating even though this review will show why you should be prepared and in survival mode, if you want to save some $$ and book this place for your SF vacation or business trip.

First of all, the rack rate here is less than half what other properties are charging. I paid $79. That should reveal something. I read all the reviews and my meta analysis said, go for it, but probably try to get a Priceline/Hotwire deal at the last minute and stay elsewhere. I got real busy before this particular business trip and forgot to get that last minute deal. In fact, I forgot where I had booked and had to check through my emails just before boarding my flight from JFK. I know, I'm getting way to lax about my travel arrangements. Anyhow, I arrived here just about Midnight via taxi from SFO. That arrival time didn't help. This is a somewhat sketchy neighborhood just about Midnight, as I discovered when I walked over to Union Square to get some basic toiletries. I've decided I'd rather buy on location than deal with the TSA 3-1-1 baggie reveal your assorted mini toiletries at x-ray. Quickly walked back to the Grant Plaza at 12:30 a.m. and they have to buzz you into the lobby. Which can be a little unnerving when the desk clerk is in the back and the homeless crazy is stumbling your way. But, hey, this is Chinatown. I saw the movie. Wait, that was NYC.

Anyway, the room. When I first entered the room, I thought they mistakenly put the bed in the corridor between the bathroom and the standard hotel room bed area. Nope, that was the whole room. I've never been in an SRO, but this is what I imagine they look like. Initially, I didn't even see a TV and thought about leaving. Yep, TV is critical. Then I found a tiny flat screen mounted on the corner wall near the door. Small, but usable. Then I checked out the bath. It looked like my father was the super. Everything was jury-rigged in the bath. The original decor was 1960s. The toilet was mounted on a piece of 1x wood. This actually made me feel a little sentimental for an era past and for the potential of making something work using materials at hand rather than conventional manufactured parts.

There was a large open vertical sliding window by the single-bed to an interior open atrium. Yes, I said single-bed. How often do you find those anymore? And the open atrium had other rooms' windows, plumbing drain pipes - because SF never freezes - and plenty of random odd human voices and other assorted strange sounds. For the time being, I left the window open for full effect.

The bed was rock hard. And I began to wonder if there would be any bugs. That's how borderline this hotel is - it makes you wonder and may even induce a psychosomatic itchiness. On the surface it seems clean enough. I didn't see any bugs - though I kept checking. And the staff is certainly nice enough. Something about the jury-rigged nature of the bathroom and the smallness of the room and TV, and the time of night, and the sounds from other rooms - makes one question - everything. Including possible options at this late hour. Primarily another hotel... At any cost.

Back to the online reviews - because even though it was now 4 a.m. East Coast Time, I couldn't sleep. I was watching an episode of SVU that was just riveting enough to take my mind off of my seeming predicament and surfing the web on my iPhone trying to figure out why others had liked this hotel. Did others really say this place was okay? Did anyone who didn't like this property report anything terrible??? And here is where I discovered the answer. Someone actually wrote the following, or something like this, "Would you go to a fast food restaurant, order off the value menu, and then complain it wasn't a five star meal? No, you wouldn't. So, don't stay at this hotel and expect the same things you expect when you stay at a five star hotel. Quit complaining, and be a survivor, because I'm a Survivor, and this place is just fine!" That made me laugh out loud, and I fell asleep.

In the end, I survived my two-night stay. It was clean. The staff was very nice. I did sleep well, after I closed the window. There were no bugs. The TV, though small, worked. And in daylight, Chinatown was as cool and bustling with friendly activity, as ever. I love Chinatown in SF and that goes a long way in my book to rate this hotel as "Very Good - Just be in Survival Mode." Location is key, right? Take care. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Street view, maybe.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
6  Thank WarwickTraveler29
Reviewed May 15, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for 4 nights and found it a very pleasurable stay. The room, although small, was a very comfortable size for our needs and thoroughly cleaned throughout our stay. We used our hotel as a base for taking in the sights and sounds of The City, and for this, the location was fantastic! Union sq is less than a 5min walk away and all the attractions of Fishermans Wharf & the piers, is a leisurely 20-30 min walk. Alternatively, busses traveling to every part of the city you might like to visit, stop only a block or two away. Most importantly, we both felt very safe in this hotel and the surrounding area.

Pros: clean, comfortable, safe, great location & the free wifi was fantastic!

Cons: at 6ft tall I found the shower head was a little low and had to crouch under it to wash my hair, but nothing that would stop me from staying here again.

All in all I would thoroughly recommend this hotel. For the money, you could not expect better.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Aaron C
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We stayed 3 nights at the Grant Plaza Hotel and we were very pleased with the accomodations, especially for the price we paid. The location couldn't be better for walking to Fisherman's Wharf, Union Station and the Ferry Building where the tours we took started. The room wasn't huge but it was very clean and tastefully decorated, and how much time do you really want to spend in your room with so many incredible sights to see, anyway? The bathroom was updated and very clean, too. The staff was very nice and we were especially thankful to be able to leave our luggage in a room off the lobby after we checked out so we could enjoy the day before leaving in the evening. We'd definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side, away from the street traffic, are quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joyce G
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in mid April. The location is great, Market St. and Union Square are nearby and fashionista's can enjoy shops like Calvin Klein etc. after a 5 min. walk.

Downside: The rooms are horrible. The first room we stayed in was absolutely the worst I've seen. Dripping faucet, tiny and unbelievably wobbly bed (I'm guessing 1.80m considering I'm short and my feet were on the edge of the bed). My friend and I requested seperate covers when we made the reservation but upon arrival we noticed the bed had one cover. When we asked for a second duvet all we got was a fleece blanket and a sheet. No assistance with making the bed. We were told that housekeeping had left and they would arrange the extra cover the next day.

Next day we switched rooms, from horrible to a little less horrible. Thankfully the room was a lot bigger, no dripping faucet and the bed went from too soft and wobbly to very hard. Didn't bother my friend but I'm not used to sleeping on a hard bed so it was not comfortable for me. Again, no seperate covers and now we were told that they didn't have an extra cover, so once again we were send to our room with the fleece blanket.

If you decide to visit San Francisco, save a little extra money and spend it on a decent hotel. I'm assuming that all hotels in San Francisco with a comparible price as the Grant Plaza Hotel have these issues.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank CharlottevanO
Reviewed April 24, 2013

This hotel was located right in the heart of Chinatown, so you don't have to go far to get food and a beer. However the hotel itself wasn't great. Very noisy. Both outside on the streets (which you'd expect from the hotel location). People in the hotel coming back from nights out at 3am, shouting down the corridor. It was expensive for what it was too. For paying a little bit more, friends of ours were staying in much nicer hotels. The rooms were small. Beds were TINY. My partners feet were sticking out!! The shower was VERY low, again he struggled to get underneath it!! The rooms were not very clean either. We paid £65/night for this place and it wasn't at all to a standard you would see in the UK for that price. Overall not great and we won't be staying here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business