“Great location but hotel looks worn”

Grand Hyatt San Francisco
Ranked #40 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto
“Great location but hotel looks worn”
Reviewed September 8, 2010

We stayed at the Grand Hyatt for 2 nights. The hotel is in a great location - you're about 3 minutes away from Market Street, where you can hop on the MUNI and BART to pretty much anywhere in the city. It's right across from Union Sq and next door to Chinatown and the Cable Car lines. Plenty of eating and shopping options in the area as well.

We booked the hotel through a priceline bid (about $100/night cheaper than the regular rates), but the staff person that checked us in (I think his name was Ryan) was friendly and welcoming nonetheless. The room looks worn out though - the tv, the carpet, the furniture all look like they need to be replaced soon. The bathroom also looks worn. But at least the room itself was clean (no bugs!) and the bed was very comfortable.

I would probably stay here again just for its location but only if I could a discounted rate again - otherwise, there are probably better options out there.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank felix190

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (878)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Memphis, TN
Reviewed September 3, 2010

This is a lovely hotel and would receive my recommendation to friends and family were it not for the bed bug bites my husband received staying there. On the second day of our stay, my husband noticed red welts on his arm. We reported the bites to the hotel staff and were moved to a new room. My husband spoke with a manager and maintenance man who inspected our old room. They claimed no evidence of a problem. I suppose my husband's bites weren't weighed as evidence. As a precaution against bringing pests home, we disposed of all the luggage and clothes we had brought into the room. I hope the hotel takes our report seriously and treats the room, but with the plethora of hotels available in San Francisco I would recommend staying elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
4 Thank HiddenLily
Westport
Reviewed August 25, 2010

Rooms were dreary and dirty. Bathrooms definitely need updating. Musak in elevators is the most annoying I have heard in a long time. Staff were not friendly nor were they helpful. Definitely should not have a 4 star rating. Very over priced.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank ValorWestport
Washington, DC
Reviewed August 25, 2010

The location of the Grand Hyatt is very convenient, and the views from the bar & restaurant on top are great. Our bay-view room was smaller than the one we'd had at the St. Francis last summer, and our view was not quite as good (although some bay-view rooms would have truly fantastic views). Our room faced toward the financial district (which was actually rather attractive at night), with some views of the bay at the sides.
The few things that brought the hotel down a notch for me may not matter to others. The lobby was virtually non-existent, with nothing there but the check-in desk & concierge. No sundry shop, no gathering place, etc. I missed the feel and amenities of the St. Francis's lobby. The buffet breakfast, while in a room with a great view, was disappointing and sub-par (particularly the muffins and croissants). It's been a while since I've had croissants that bad. Aside from these things, I would have given the hotel 4 stars.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
virginia
Reviewed August 23, 2010

This hotel was great. It is very conveniently located. The lobby is so beautiful and the view from the rooms is awesome. Book a room with the regency club-the evening snacks and breakfast are a great deal and quite good. The fitness center is not great, but overall it is a nice place. The parking price is ridiculous, however ($50/day)

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Elizabeth D
Islip, New York
Reviewed August 19, 2010

I stayed in the Grand Hyatt for a full week during August 2010 with some friends. While San Francisco weather was seasonably cooler than usual by about ten degrees, the staff at the Hyatt was warm and friendly (pardon the pun)! It was everyone's first time in the city and every morning when we went downstairs to begin our adventures, we would stop and ask the concierge for advice. Every day they were pleasant and incredibly helpful providing maps, public transportation information, ferry information, and even helped us plan a day trip to Muir Woods. Additionally, they were assisted in getting a car service to take my friends and I back to the airport for our VERY early flight home. They called to confirm the night before and called in the morning when the car had arrived. I cannot say enough wonderful things about the staff!!! The only negative would be the somewhat dated room furniture, but very clean and neat!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed August 14, 2010

The location is perfect at Union Square, walking distance to the starting line of the race. Great restaurants everywhere, metro station to the airport a couple of blocks away. Check-in was like being interrogated by the KGB; my room had been booked under my friend's name and when the reservation had been made the hotel said all I had to do was change it to my name and credit card when I got there. My friend had even called the front desk that day to follow up and was told no problem everything would be taken care of when I got there. Then I got there and the story changed. At first the manager said "Oh we don't do that anymore" and told me I couldn't have the room as if I'm just going to say "OK", turn around, go back to the airport and fly 3,000 miles back home. I just kept standing there while he fussed and fretted around and I called my friend and asked her to call the manager and he finally relented and let me check in. The room was small which was ok because I don't take up much space but the first night (a weeknight) there was noise from the street like construction going on. My only real complaints were charging for Wi-Fi (a Marriott thing) and lack of electrical outlets--one in the bathroom and one under the little desk that I had to get down on my hands and knees to access. Laptop, ipod, cellphone, Bluetooth=4 outlets. The concierge was wonderful in getting me a 1-day car rental and had excellent written directions for getting out of the city. If you are driving in don't park in the hotel garage--drive around the hotel for a couple of blocks and shop around--I saw one garage that charged half of what Hyatt does.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends