“Great position and hotel!!”

Grand Hyatt San Francisco
Ranked #37 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 7, 2006

We stayed at this hotel for a week in late February. We chose the Regency club, which meant we were on a higher floor and breakfast was included. Great hotel and staff. Rooms are very comfortable, view wonderful! Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled on business
3  Thank Travelbugtoo

Reviewed February 15, 2006

I enjoyed this very comfortable hotel. Stayed 3 nights in January 2006. Wonderful bed, wonderful view, friendly and professional staff. You can't beat the location and at any price it's a deal. I travel a lot and this was a perfect experience. Hope to stay again in April.

• Stayed: January 2006, traveled on business
4  Thank nycgeorgian
Reviewed January 25, 2006

My wife and I booked a night for a Holiday getaway. We have no complaints about the room. Our room was clean, comfortable, and afforded us a fantastic view of the bay.

Parking cost is steep, but standard for the area - $40.

I felt the website could've offered better directions to the hotel. The Union Square is difficult to navigate with all the one-way roads - even for those of us who have been to SF several times.

The valet service was excellent.

I would consider staying again but not during the holiday season.

• Stayed: December 2005
1  Thank bdubs9
Reviewed January 1, 2006

The upsides of the hotel are its location (but then again there are many others in the area) and the helpful concierge.

Now, the downsides...

The building CREAKS! We were there from Dec 26-29, 2005 and needless to say, we left the hotel, sleep-deprived. The hotel actually has cards to inform guests of the creaking noise due to high-wind periods at the front desk but it's a little too late once you've checked in! Perhaps, they should post it on their web-site.

When we complained, we were told that the building makes noises because it moves when there are high winds. And the building moves because of the erathquake-proof foundation? Eh? We work and live in earthquake and typhoon-prone Tokyo in high rise buildings and no, our buildings do not creak in windy weather.

The rooms we stayed in were tired looking and shabby, the sheet had a hole in it and the towels in the bathroom were old.

The housekeeping service is inefficient as there were always used cups and plates lying around the hallway. Yikes!

We are used to the "grand" Hyatt quality here in Tokyo and were very disappointed by the lack of quality in San Francisco. This particular hotel needs to be stripped off its 4 star rating.

We would certainly return to San Francisco but most definitely not to the Grand Hyatt.

• Stayed: December 2005
15  Thank Pekochan
Reviewed December 14, 2005

Well I should start by saying that the room was nice, the bathroom spacious and the location superb. It's right in the middle of some great shopping! Overall we enjoyed our stay with a few little hiccups along the way.

The minor issues:

1. The hair dryer in the room was fried and we called the front desk to get a replacement. It never came. We had to call a second time before we got a replacement. The good thing is that at least on the second call we got a response within 15 minutes.

2. We cancelled a wake-up call but they called anyway - twice. My husband was there on a conference and I chose to sleep late one morning but the wake-up call he cancelled came anyway and woke me up at 4:30am.

The major issue:

My husband was in the room taking a break from his conference and I was in the shower. We had the privacy sign out on the door and the privacy lock engaged. The mini-bar attendant (a man) took the sign off the door and wedged it on the wall behind our room number. He knocked briefly and then tried to come right on in. The lock prevented the door from opening more than 4 inches.

Initially I was upset because if the privacy sign is out it generally means you don't want to be disturbed. The second reason I was upset was that if my husband wasn't in the room at the time and I had forgotten to engage the privacy lock, ... fill in the blanks. Since the shower is right next to the hotel door you can clearly hear it outside in the hall. My only assumption is that either the employee was trying to walk in on something or he simply disregards people's privacy.

In my opinion I think this is a serious security concern. When we discussed it with a member of management, she seemed concerned and said she'd speak to the staff and security about the incident.

What's interesting is that between the first phone call to the manager and the time I left the room an hour later, it happened a second time. I happened to be at the door about to go out and saw him through the peep hole. He removed the privacy sign from the door and wedged it on the wall again and then knocked. At least this time he didn't try to enter our room.

Just be aware of this when thinking of booking your room there. The main lesson to learn is to always put the privacy sign out and to engage the privacy lock when you don't want anyone barging in. This could have happened at any hotel room in the world so take this lesson with you anywhere you choose to stay.

Now for the fun stuff:

Grand Views lounge on the 36th floor is worth the view but you'll get sticker shock when ordering any drinks. A plain martini is $12 and it had too much vermouth in it. I couldn't finish it because it was horrible but you won't go wrong with wine or beer. This is a great place to go for a quick cup of coffee to enjoy the view but there are better places to get a drink.

Perry's Downtown:
This place makes a great burger and is a good place to go for drinks or a good burger and a beer. It's about 2 1/2 blocks away from the Hyatt. It's a good lunch place and a good casual dinner place and is reasonable on the wallet.

Steps of Rome Trattoria:
North Beach
This is the best Italian food!! I had the Gnocchi alla Serentia and it was fantastic! The place doesn't look like much but the people are friendly and the food is wonderful!

Pizza Chicago:
Ghiradelli Square
Great pizza joint in a casual atmosphere. Reasonable and worth every penny!

La Suite:
On Brannan near the Bay Bridge
Amazing french food!!! It's in a higher price range but the food is awesome! The bar is trendy, the drinks very generous and the staff is friendly.

Hawthorn Lane:
I'm not sure where it's located but the food and atmosphere were amazing. This is among the highest priced restaurants in the city but if you love good food and excellent service this is the place for you. I had the lobster - mmm mmm!

Alcatraz evening tour:
Ok, so I'm not into cheezy tourist stuff but I enjoyed this tour. If for nothing else, go for the views of the city. It's a neat piece of history to check out and has incredible views of the city, the Golden Gate, Angel Island and the Bay Bridge. Bring the tripod though, and turn off the flash if you're using a small tourist digital camera for a great shot.

Getting around:
We only used taxi services to get to and from SFO and to go out to nicer restaurants. The rest of the time we relied on Muni buses and Cable Cars. Make sure you get a good map of the routes and stops first and you'll be prepared to get anywhere. You'll find more tourists on the cable cars and locals on the buses. You'll also find that peak times (especially weekends) will mean full cable cars and longer waits to get on.

Presidio and the Golden Gate:
You can either drive or take the bus to the Presidio up to the Golden Gate. There are several photo spots to get some great photos so explore further than just the initial upper level and you'll find some really pretty areas.

Palace of Fine Arts:
The rotunda is really pretty as was the area surrounding it. The marina district was cool but we didn't explore that much. Next trip maybe.

• Stayed: December 2005, traveled on business
23  Thank LondonBlue
A TripAdvisor Member
San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Reviewed November 27, 2005

Booked this hotel for a mini-getaway for the family on Thanksgiving weekend in San Francisco. It was absolutely beautiful. Of course the city of SF is beautful. But I tell you, when we walked into our standard room we were delighted to see that it was far from standard! It was modern with updated furnishings, a beautiful interior, and boy was our view grand! We had a perfect view of the Christmas Tree in the center of Union Square (the tree lighting ceremony was viewed from our room), plus we could see Macy's, The Cheesecake Factory, and Neiman Marcus. It was amazing. When I woke up in the morning, I just walked across the street and beat the crowds to the all-popular After Thanksgiving Day Sales at Macy's and Loehmans down the street. It's a shoppers heaven, an artists dream, and a luxury spot all in one. The kids and husband loved it too! We got a good deal on the hotel, but be prepared for expensive valet parking.

• Stayed: November 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 7, 2005

I spent a week here in September and was extremely pleased.The incomparable Union Square location--walking distance to almost everything, gives the impression the city was laid out around the hotel instead of the other way around. The comfy, king-sized bed,coffeemaker, plentiful bathroom amenities and decent views-- although only staying on the 11th floor-- were a nice added touch.The restaurant and shopping recommendations from the concierge staff were dead on accurate(they mentioned several top-notch but sensibly priced Asian restaurants) and much appreciated. Highly recommended as long as you don't have a car(the parking was about $45 a day!)

Stayed: September 2005