“Great location ok hotel”

Grand Hyatt San Francisco
Ranked #39 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, IL
“Great location ok hotel”
Reviewed September 30, 2008

The hotel was close to China town. We were in town when the Chinatown Fest and the Chocolate Fest were going on. The beds are so so, but the rooms are clean.

The concierge was not very knowledgable about what was going on in the area. He did not even know about the Chinatown Fest which was two - three blocks away. He also did not know about the Chocolate Fest at Ghiardelle's.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — uncomfortable bed
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cachidester

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (889)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Minnesota
Reviewed September 29, 2008

I stayed here on business one night and I am glad it was only one night..

Upon check in I wanted a high bay view room with a king bed per my reservation. Instead I was given a room with a view of the city streets (along with two double beds). The windows were dirty too. I know it is pretty loud in downtown SF, but the soundproofing in my room could have been better.

I didn't think this hotel was anything special. I would stay somewhere else if I were in the area again.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
San Francisco
Reviewed September 28, 2008

I was extremely disappointed with my stay here, so much so that I left after one night. I paid for the Regency Club level, which is a Concierge Suite that used to be the rotating restaurant at the top. The food in the suite was not plentiful, not especially tasty and definitely not filling. Much better at the Marriott and the Hilton.

Although my room had some nice design elements (t.v. IN the bathroom mirror, lovely shower stall), there were far more detriments:

- I asked for a quiet room. Noise from Market street even up on the 16th floor kept me awake, especially a thumping bass from who knows where.

- I love a dark hotel room, but the phone on the desk had such a short line that I couldn't see any of the labels, couldn't move it close enough to a light.

- Bedding was new and very stylish, but the bed was saggy. No bedbugs or signs of them, which is good.

- Water pressure was weak and the shower wouldn't get hotter than lukewarm.

- Main t..v. installed so that if you move the t.v. in the slightest, it unplugs itself. Cranky maintenance guy says he gets 10 calls a night. Plus they "fixed" the t.v. so that you can't pull it all the way out for comfortable t.v. viewing AND several of the major stations had lots of snow and white lines (how do you even do that with cable?).

- I phoned for help when I couldn't find the concierge lounge (it had moved since my last stay there). Help was very unhelpful, treated me like I was an interloper when a simple instruction would have saved us all a lot of bother. Like most of San Francisco, customer service at the Hyatt is generally bad. SF Financial District Hilton much better at this.

- As I had a prepaid visit via hyatt.com, I asked the front desk if I could leave a day early and still get my money back. They made me call reservations line, who told me it was up to the front desk. I called the front desk back, and he refused to believe he was wrong, and when I said "but if you won't give me my money back and reservations won't give me my money back, who will? he said only that "someone will." I'm anticipating having to go through my credit card company to get my $300+ dollars back.

- Back when they filmed some interiors of High Anxiety, they had REAL plants hanging down the lovely interior cascade walls. Now they have a few fake plants, and it looks awful.

- Ventilation/air conditioning is weird--at 6am I got someone cheap cologn/deodorant smell pumped into my room. What the?

I work across the street from this hotel, but even in another work emergency, will pay whatever it takes to stay anywhere else. It clearly suffers from maintenance neglect, and slapping a little lipstick (fashionable bedding and furniture) on this won't make it a five star hotel. Inferior by far to the Financial District Hilton or even its sister hotel the Manchester Grand Hyatt in San Diego.

• Liked — Great shower stall!
  • Disliked — lousy maintenance -- tv problems, light problems, water heat problems.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank MystiAnne
Olympia Washington
Reviewed September 27, 2008

We found this to be the standard (nice) big city hotel with all the expected amenities. Standard additional charges too, for internet, telephone, etc. etc. etc. Our room on the 17th floor was clean, nicely furnished and adequate in all respects, particularly at the price point we got from Priceline Negotiator ($117+tax = just under $142 for a Saturday night). The hotel is very close to Union Square, but if you’re a walker it’s still within striking distance of the waterfront and most other parts of downtown. Didn’t try the restaurant, but the sunset view from the lounge on the 36th floor is definitely worthwhile.

Be sure to plan your budget to include parking if you’ll need it. Expect the bums-rush in front of the hotel when you arrive, unless you'll accept valet parking at $49.50/day. Don’t be cowed though - You can offload your bags in front and then self-park in the exact same garage kitty corner across Stockton from the hotel for about $26/day!

Stayed September 2008
2 Thank ScoutOut
all over the world on a yacht
Reviewed September 20, 2008

GREAT STAFF BUT...as a Hyatt Gold Card member, and for the cost, and because of the website's photos... we expected something more upscale. bed, pillows & sheets were great, the rooms are very old & VERY tired. the curtains were so full of moth-holes, the light shone right through! the carpet next to the walls was thick with dust (where a regular upright vacuum can't reach). the air conditioner rattled like an old car. the bedside lamp blinked like a strobe. the sliding glass door (that's supposed to open 4 inches for fresh air) was DUCT-TAPED SHUT, with duct tape all over the handle. the wallpaper was beginning to peel in the bathroom (why have wallpaper in a bathroom?). the batteries in the keyboard had run flat. the message light blinked and blinked, even though we didn't have messages. when we first arrived, we called the front desk & the "engineer" was called to fix the a/c. when we came back after shopping, it still wasn't done & found the light didn't work, so he had to come back to fix both. it took a while (in the morning) to come & see what was wrong with the keyboard, then to get new batteries. it would have been great to have things checked out BEFORE we got to the room! simple enough to run checks on these things after the room is cleaned and before the customer arrives?
some clever person has discovered that because of the system employed in the minibar, if you put back an empty pringles or soda can, it looks like somebody's replaced it, & you don't get charged! & for Hyatt's prices, i actually don't blame them!
the group next door came in at about 2am, slamming doors, then were up again making a racket at 7am. why not have the "honeymooners" in one area & leave these noisy groups of business people next door to each other in another? it wasn't as though we had a great view!
wish i had taken photos, but this was my first anniversary of marriage, and it was just too depressing. and on top of all this, i contacted the Hyatt Gold Passport Rep who wrote to us, asking us to contact him if we needed anything...he has now received two emails from me & has yet to respond!
give the nice staff a hotel that they can be proud of!

• Liked — the bed, the sheets, the pillows
  • Disliked — the shabbiness of the room for the price - depressing!!!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed September 18, 2008

First time staying at the Grand Hyatt and would recommend it for anyone heading to SFO for business. I was only in town for 2 nights, but the location was perfect, the fitness center had good equipment, view from my room was awesome (fantastic view of downtown), etc. etc. The restaurant had an even better view and had a great atmosphere, but I wasn't overly impressed with the food. I'll definitely stay here again, but will probably try other options for dinner.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank beavs03
ca
Reviewed September 18, 2008

Stayed at Hotel because of the close proxsemty of the Phillipine consulate, After checking in to our room had to summond a repair person because toilet flush very slowly requring continuious holding of the handle. I aapreciated the location of this hotel even though some services(resturants) are overpriced, I had to continue having my electronic key reprogramed. The Hotel convenience was short lived when I went to get my car from the hotel valet parking was told while my car was staged in front of the Hotel was side swipe by a sightseeing bus while in there custody , neither the parking company are Hotel offered any financial liability to repair my vehicle but through all most daily calls to the bus companys insurance company creating constant frustration I was finally able with the help of this body shop got my vehicle repaired properly. In hingesight I would have been better off leaving my car parked in the parking garage across the street since the Hotel staff and parking company no this is a continual problem, so park in valet parking at your own risk. I gave this hotel another chance when I had guest visiting from out of town: on this ocassion the service was terrible, seems as though the staff are disorganized and to get anything acoomplish you either have to make your request more than once are see a manager to get anything done correctly again had tyo have my electronic key reprogramed everytime I returned to the Hotel an agonizing inconveince. This Hotel needs to make significant improvements at putting their guest first after all the stay here isn't cheap. One person that tried his best to provide some assistance was the security manager.

• Liked — location i
  • Disliked — disorganization by staff
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple