“Good hotel, great location”

Grand Hyatt San Francisco
Ranked #39 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reading, United Kingdom
“Good hotel, great location”
Reviewed May 9, 2014

The hotel is of a good standard but the location is fantastic, right next to Union square at the heart of San Francisco. The food and drink within the hotel is very pricy so I'd recommend going elsewhere to wine and dine. Other than that a pleasant stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Orrgarde

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (893)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Luton
Reviewed May 8, 2014

First stay here and thoroughly recommend, the location on Stockton St is just one block from Union Square so shoppers paradise, all the staff I had contact with were polite and helpful. The hotel has been refurbished recently and my 14th floor room was spacious and very comfortable, bathroom has a modern feel with one of those odd shaped but shallow wash basins, fabulous over bath shower, plenty of decent sized, soft, fluffy towels. There is a sort of dressing room joining the bedroom and bathroom, with a welcome vanity unit, plenty of space for ladies to do hair and make up and a magnifying mirror, just a shame there wasn't a better quality of light in that area.
I would suggest familiarising yourself with the room before heading out for jetlagged dinner and drinks ... the blackout blind is in fact electronically operated, but there is NO switch anywhere near the window, they are located just inside the door and in the panel at each side of the bed!
The large flat screen tv is brilliantly improved with the built in TV Programme/Channel guide on screen, first time in years I've actually managed to watch a whole tv programme in a US hotel! Room service is also ordered through the interactive TV, mine arrived in about 15-20 mins, very good.
During my stay there were some strong winds blowing and some strange noises seemed to be coming from the wall near the door, thought I was imagining things for a while, but when I woke in the morning, there was a letter under my door, explaining that in such conditions it is normal for high rise buildings shifting with the pressure of the wind to make such sounds.
On this occasion I didn't use the hotel bars or restaurants, but I have eaten in the top floor restaurant before on Christmas Day and thoroughly enjoyed my meal and the amazing views. Colleagues also commented that the breakfast was very good at the hotel and the 35th floor Gym made working out a pleasure due again to the amazing views.
I look forward to my next visit.

Green Features: They provide water coolers on each floor for guests to refill water bottles, rather than providing new plastic bottles in each room.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Margaret H
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Francisco, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Dear Margaret H,

Thank you for the detailed review! Your recommendation is our biggest compliment. It is great to hear you enjoyed our modern guestroom and amenity offered. As one of the top leading hotels in San Francisco, we offer many new technologies to our guests for their convenience; I'm glad you took advantage of the interactive TV in the guestroom and ordered room service from it! Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Best regards,
Tiffany
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 7, 2014

The location is great, at Union Square. Initially I chose this hotel because of the location and despite that I read that the service weren't as good as other "Grand Hyatt" elsewhere. To my surprise, I had a very warm welcome and check-in staff were great and friendly.

We are staying in 2 rooms for 5 adults, so the connecting rooms were definitely to our advantage. One of the room was a corner room which is slightly bigger than the normal room, having a little space between the bed and bathroom where they put in the cupboard and a mini powder/make-up table. The additional space also means that with the additional bed, it wasn't as cramped as I would imagine.

Rooms were clean and we enjoyed our stay here!

Room Tip: Corner rooms are slightly larger than the normal ones. It also has an additional make-up table which...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We appreciate your kind words on our staffs. It is great to hear you enjoyed the convenient location of our hotel and the accommodations met your expectations. Thank you for choosing to stay at the Grand Hyatt San Francisco and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Warm regards,
Tiffany
Southern California
Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

Treated myself and 2 grown daughters to a couple of nights in the City recently. I always love the Union Square location for its centrality, and because there were 3 of us I wanted a modern location with more room square footage instead of one of the more historic hotels in the area.
Hotel has several inviting common areas; we did not eat at the hotel so I cannot comment. The room was nice with comfy beds, frig, coffee maker - and roomy, not spacious. There were not enough "supplies" for 3 and someone came promptly after I called.
I liked the automated check-in (I checked in thru my iPhone - we were early but our room was ready) and check-out.
So - nice room but paid so much for it!

• Stayed April 2014
Zurich
Reviewed May 6, 2014 via mobile

Due to the connecting door to the adjacent room we could hear just about everything going on next door. Impossible to sleep as long as our neighbor was awake and watching TV, talking to someone on the phone or taking a shower.
When we complained to reception they told us that all their rooms with the exception of one per floor have connecting doors. So they were unable to provide us any solution - all they did was to give us access to the executive lounge, which was totally useless to us.
Having previously stayed at other Grand Hyatt hotels in Hong Kong, Berlin or Jakarta, I can not understand why the one in San Francisco deserves to be a "Grand" Hyatt - there is definitively nothing grand about this hotel. Any airport Hyatt is just as fine.
The location is great and the view from our bay view room was spectacular. However if it is important to you to have some privacy in your room and to be able to sleep in a quiet environment, I would recommend to avoid this hotel.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Goldfesch
Forest Acres SC
Reviewed May 6, 2014

It took 2 days to get the shower head fixed, the elevators did not work one morning and only had de-café coffee in the room as they ran out of regular. Finally, the air conditioning unit could not get the room cool. It was a great location but I wish I had stayed at one of the other name brand hotels within the same block or two.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank RichlandCoDistrict-8
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed May 6, 2014

Right next to Union Square in the heart of the shopping and entertainment district of San Francisco, this hotel did not disappoint. Rooms were decent size, and all amenities were already there. Only issue was that the room service ended at 11pm or so, so you may be out of luck after a long day at the office. Otherwise, can't complain!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business