“Great Hotel - Great Value in Union Square”

Grand Hyatt San Francisco
Ranked #37 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 30, 2014

I'm not suggestion that this is a 5 star hotel in terms of hotel ratings, but everything about this place was excellent and deserves an excellent Trip Advisor rating. It is an excellent value! The design is very modern decor, very non-traditional. Service was excellent, rooms very nice with most offering great views. It is an excellent hotel, great value, in a great part of the city.

Room Tip: No parking garage for the hotel. Public garage under union squar and one kitty corner from the hotel...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jack P
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review! We are thrilled you had a wonderful time with us. It is great to hear you enjoyed our modern guestroom and the services provided. Your compliments is much appreciated and I'll be sure to share your comment with the team! Please come back and see us again.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

I stayed here as a single traveller last week. It is a great hotel in a superb location. Union Square in a good central place to stay and is close to the shops, bus tours etc. The hotel had great decor and the rooms are spacious and modern. The reception and concierge staff were all really helpful and the customer service was great. It was a bonus having a Starbucks in the lobby!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review! We are delighted you enjoyed the ideal location and our modern guestroom. It is always great to hear nice compliment on our staffs and I'll be sure to share your comment with the team! We hope to see you come back soon.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

We travelled with three teen girls and knew I would have trouble finding accommodation in SF. I am so glad we booked at the Grand Hyatt! With 5 people, we needed to book 2 adjoining rooms and they were able to offer a great family rate when I called reservations directly. The hotel is cool, modern, urban and easy to navigate. We added a breakfast package and enjoyed the buffet before a long day of sightseeing. All of the staff was very friendly and unpretentious which I appreciated. Definitely visit the top floor of the hotel for an amazing view. My only complaint is that the beds are too soft.

Room Tip: Call reservations directly if you are travelling with a family.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank marlene915
Reviewed March 26, 2014

The hotel's renovation really changed its character into a high energy urban hotel, if that's what they were seeking. The decor was nice, the service prompt but not overly fussy and the location is simply unbeatable.

The hotel was very open about Stockton Street being closed at Geary and gave alternate directions which where easier than trying to mess with a GPS unit.

Overall, a great stay.

Room Tip: The "odd" side rooms have a bay view, the even side rooms have a city view. Either are sp...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Myself and a buddy stayed in San Francisco for 4 days as part of a California/Nevada roadtrip and booked this hotel for our stay. We had cut costs throughout the holiday so this was a bit of a treat to kick start the holiday being a fair bit more expensive than our other hotels. It was well worth the cost.

The hotel is a relatively easy 30 minute drive from the main international airport and has parking right next door (this is however pretty pricey, though this is to be expected in Downtown San Fran).

The hotel itself is smart, modern and very clean and this trend continues in the rooms. Our room came with a fantastic view over Union Square and the city's skyline. The room was beautifully furnished - everything looked brand new and the beds were among the comfiest I have slept in. I know that sounds exaggerated but they genuinely were awesome beds!

The hotel is located literally ON Union Square so right by the streetcar (a must do!) and right by a load of high end shops (Tiffany's etc) and a fantastic Cheescake Factory with a roof top seating area. It is a 5 minute walk from the main mall and is in great proximity to AT+T Park (well worth going to a Giants game!) and Fisherman's Wharf etc.

I couldn't write this review without giving a mention to the fantastic concierge. The whole team were incredibly helpful and were brilliantly knowledgeable. We were visiting during the Stanislaus Forest fires and thought it would scupper our trip to do some hiking in Yosemite but the concierge advised us on alternative routes to the park and other general tips.

Also before heading to the states I looked to buy tickets for Alcatraz (about 2 weeks before our arrival). I had no idea it sold out so quickly so when I went to purchase the tour tickets it emerged that they were gone weeks in advance and that we couldn't go. In a 'Hail Mary' attempt I emailed the hotel to see if they could help. To my (pleasant) shock they managed to arrange tickets to the prison and a city sightseeing bus tour for a great price and even phoned me in England to confirm it all. FANTASTIC service.

If you are looking for a great, clean, safe, helpful hotel in the centre of town then look no further!

Room Tip: Anything overlooking Union Square is good!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank jstride
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Wow! We can not stop smiling reading your review. Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback. We are thrilled you had such an amazing time in San Francisco and glad we made a long lasting impression. Our hotel was completely renovated recently and we are very proud of the finished product. More importantly, our guests really enjoy their stay with us!

Sounds like you had a fantastic time exploring all that San Francisco offers and glad our staffs were able to find you tickets to the most popular attraction - Alcatraz. Your compliment is truly appreciated and I'll be sure to share it with the entire team. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

The front desk agent, Paul, was phenomenal! He was very informative and answered all my questions and concerns. I really enjoyed their gym as well. It has an amazing view. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the city.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends

Great to hear you had a lovely stay with us! We appreciate your kind words for Paul and glad you enjoyed the beautiful view. Your recommendation is our biggest compliment! Please come back and see us again soon.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

I enjoy staying at the Grand Hyatt, we have been there many times. It's close to Union Square and a lot of shopping. This morning I called the valet to get my car and I was looking at the claim card and it showed three little scratches in the back which I knew about. Nothing else. Car comes give card to valet and my wife says there is a scrape and a little scratch on right side front. Valet with pen in hand says oh it's on the card. How could my wife and I both miss that? He said he was going to check the other card at valet station and comes back showing mark on card. What can you do? I wish I has taken a pic of the ticket with my phone before I handed it to the valet. I told him I don't believe him and left. I should have gone him with to valet station. So if you use valet parking be sure to check your car and go to valet station with him. I like the place and will go back but we learned a lesson this time.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple