“Great hotel with excellent location”

Grand Hyatt San Francisco
Ranked #38 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Stayed at Grand Hyatt San Francisco for two nights in July as part of a family vacation. It’s great hotel and fantastic location. Albeit a bit expensive, it is still worth it.
Diamond-status recognized almost to my full satisfaction. Had asked for a suite upgrade but due to check-in tried their best to secure a good room (high floor, etc). I travel around 140 nights per year, and really likes when a hotel treats you well when you come with the family which is THE most critical time.
Three things that made our stay really pleasant were:
1) I received excellent service and information from the Concierge (I recall the name of Joanna Husk or something like that). Advised on excellent steak-places, golden gate view points, etc
2) the Club Lounge is really nice – in particular the breakfast is with lot’s of healthy choices (dairy, fruits, etc), the food is presented well/”appetizing”, and overall the lounge is kept clean, it’s reasonably quiet and with a good view
3) the restaurant and bar on the first floor provides excellent food and service.
Overall a great stay. Our kids (aged 10 and 15) loved it.
Suggest that the self-parking information is a bit more detailed, (e.g. with a photo showing where to enter the self-parking which is around the corner, just across the street) since I had to circle the block twice to be sure I got in at the right place.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank 4xHansen

Reviewed August 22, 2013

a brilliant place to base yourself to access the shops, the sights, the cable car, market st - everything really. We ate in resturant one night and was impressed, Breakfast was also great, especially the fried potatoes. Would recommed staying here

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Dear Steve P,

Great to hear you enjoyed our OneUP Restaurant and the ideal location of our hotel! We appreciate you took the time to write us a review. Please come back and see us again soon!

Reviewed August 22, 2013

We are a family of five with three teenagers.

We arrived late and were brilliantly looked after by Betsy on reception. She even gave a recommendation of Lori's Diner around the corner for a great late night meal.

The rooms are freshly and stylishly renovated with great views of the city. Easy to make your way from here around town.

The concierge service was brilliant with Elaine and Liz helping us arrange trips to Muirs Wood and to watch the Oakland A's baseball. Our apologies to A's fan Liz for jinxing her team to a loss against the lowly Houston Astros.

The restaurant is small for the hotel which can cause some delays at breakfast time. Not a problem for those of us on holidays but it could be for anyone with a busy schedule. Food is good though and the bar is a pleasant place with live acoustic music in the evening.

The hotel even provided a limo to get us to the airport for the same price as a minivan.

Thanks for great stay. We are happy to recommend the Grand Hyatt in San Francisco.

Room Tip: Stay away from the lifts as they are busy and slightly noisy.

Dear Coyle5,

Thank you for your review! We are delighted you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. I have to agree with you our ideal location is definitely unbeatable. Sounds like check in was a breeze and had a nice late night meal at Lori's! Your kind words on our staffs is much appreciated and I will be sure to share it with the team especially Betsy and the Concierge. Thank you for your recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed August 21, 2013

This was a very modern hotel where everything worked like clockwork. The Staff were very good. The concierge desk staff were brilliant. The location is great for tours and the cable cars. The restaurant was lovely, good food, good service but not expensive.The room was good, clean and modern. We would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Dear DonMonbulk,

Thank you for review. We are delighted you enjoyed the convenient location of our hotel and your room. Your compliment on our staffs is much appreciated. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Reviewed August 21, 2013

OMG what a beautiful hotel , the view its amazing i was on the 31 floor , you can see the city and the fog in the moring, service is very good the, location , location , location , worth the price! the hotel is next to union square from there you walk to Chinatown, market place is just 4 blocks away

Room Tip: 31 first floor !! al about the view
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Valued Guest,

Sounds like you really enjoyed the ideal location of our hotel and the beautiful view from your room! Thank you for taking the time to write us a review and we appreciate your kind words! Please come back and see us again soon.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights on the first part of our honeymoon. The location is great - right in the heart of Union Square. The hotel was clean and modern and the staff were great. The only thing I never liked was the breakfast buffet - it was a bit of a rip off. Otherwise, all in all this is a good choice for San Fran.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 20, 2013

This is my first vacation in San Francisco and decided to stay at Grand Hyatt because of its high reputation. There are both pros and cons during my stay, which I will pin point in detail.
First off, I really like the location. The accessibility to Union Square and ChinaTown are within reach. Secondly, the concierge here are absolutely amazing ! One of the concierge named Joanna is half Thai, so she gave me insurmountable information about San Francisco's main attractions as well as recommended us delicious restaurants.
Moving on to the room, we're in 27th Floor and the room we have had a great view of the Bay. Also with high technology TV programs, it makes Grand Hyatt more attractive to the people in this generation.
Now moving on to the cons. Firstly, there are no mini-bar inside the refrigerator. I found this strange because how can a great hotel as Hyatt do not have mini-bar in it ? I just don't understand.
Secondly and this is the only thing that I REALLY REALLY HATE on this stay. The breakfast and its service. I have been traveling around the world and never ever been disappointed with breakfast as this hotel before. Before complaining, I have to say that it's my fault to book Bed and Breakfast package at this hotel. We thought that the breakfast is gonna be good but things turned opposite.
Now, we actually had buffet as breakfast, not a la carte one. There are not as many breakfast selections and the dining area is small compare to Hyatt Regency Orange County in Los Angeles that I've been before staying at this place. Furthermore, the food here taste horrible that I can only eat just Yogurt and berries ( that's the only thing that was great ). The scrambled eggs were too dry and have no taste and the pancakes were horribly made. Also, the sausage and bacon were too salty and the appearance of it looks as if it was made yesterday.
Moving on to the drinks, there are limited choice of juices, which we only get orange juice but not apple juice or grape juice. The coffee and tea are okay but not that great.
Next is the service, my younger brother was really piss at one of the waiter named Jackie. I was also frustrated with the way he talked. He didn't even say " Good morning sir, would you like some tea or coffee ? ". Instead, he said '' You want some tea ? you want orange juice ? ''. I did order an English Breakfast tea and when he served, he spilled some out and it was on my new suede sneaker that I bought a day ago. He did not even clean and apologize. All he did was saying '' Here's your tea enjoy''. Moreover, his facial appearance didn't seem nice and also he was not that enthusiastic either. A good service-mind waiter should be alert all the time as well as remembering each customer's menu ( e.g. my younger brother is allergic to orange juice, but the waiter still serve it ( which is wasteful ). ). For other waiters are okay but not that great.
The manager here seriously needs to improve the breakfast quality as well as their waiters because when I was about to checkout, I heard from others saying that they hate the breakfast here so much.
Lastly, I had a great time vacationing in San Francisco but not at Grand Hyatt. Are there chance for me to stay here again ? Maybe no.

Room Tip: Do not buy Bed&Breakfast package because the breakfast taste really really horrible.
1  Thank koomzobe
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We apologize for the poor experience you had. A private message has been sent to you hoping to learn more about your recent stay with us but we haven't heard back from you yet. Should you decide to discuss your experience at the Grand Hyatt San Francisco, please call our manager on duty as we would love to regain your confidence back.