“Great Rennovation of a Classic hotel”

Grand Hyatt San Francisco
Ranked #38 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Zurich, Switzerland
“Great Rennovation of a Classic hotel”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

I had never stayed at this hotel and I was pleased with the location and service. The have been renovated to a very high standard from both business and casual traveler. The views are tremendous. My only complaint is the restaurant is more then a little over the top for breakfast. Other then that this a great location in SF.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank AmeriSwiss

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (871)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Norwich
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I stayed at the Grand Hyatt for 5 nights whilst in San Francisco for a conference.

Despite having 'man flu' the whole time I was in San Francisco I still very much enjoyed my stay and found the hotel very comfortable, quite and relaxing.

The view from my room was superb and the view from the restaurant is even better. The location right in the centre is also excellent.

The service and care from the staff was great too. In short I would love to return for a personal holiday with my wife some day.

Room Tip: If not on the bay side then try for a room on a high level for great views across San Francisco
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Francisco, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Tim F.,

Thank you so much for the 5-star review! We are delighted you had an enjoyable time with us. Our location is definitely ideal for both business and pleasure. It is great to hear you would consider visiting us again with your wife in the near future and we certainly look forward to seeing you again!

Truly yours,
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

First of all I feel guilty for not writing this review many months ago! I hosted a grand luncheon for a special birthday for 30 ladies in feb. 2012. From the planning stage till it was finished everything went smoothly. I work with a lady named Kaleen Bartlet and she was most gracious, accommodating and very professional.

It was at their event room on the top floor! Breathtaking views!

Everything was done according to my specification. Had 4 course sit down meal which was executed perfectly. The waiting staff, the bar tender and the supervisor were all very courteous and professional.

Only thing I Had a problem with was their "corkage" fee and policy. I guess I should have paid more attention. Make sure you choose your minimum for the event and whether it is cheaper to get their wines instead of bringing your own.

Stayed February 2012
1 Thank shez369
Dear shez369,

Wow! Thank you so much for your 5-star review! We are thrilled you had such a great experience with us! I'm sure the luncheon was a huge success! I must agree with you Kaleen is great to work with and I will be sure to share your comment with her. The view from our top floor meeting space is truly specular! Your business is much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Warm regards,
New Hampshire
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We stayed at this hotel over Christmas. The weather was gloomy, but the location could not have been better.
From check in to check out the experience was wonderful. It is a whole unique experience. The check in desks look more like casual computer stations. It is a new concept and confusing when you are looking for the standard check in desk. Hyatt thought of that aspect too. There are several Hyatt employees in the lobby to immediately assist you.
Our room was ready even though we checked in early and we were quickly escorted up to the room. We stayed on the 19th floor, and upon entering the room we had this amazing view of the city surrounding Coit Tower. It was such an impressive entrance to a room. The room was done in a sleek modern style that was also extremely inviting. We could have comfortably relaxed in this room with the amazing view, but Union Square with all of the holiday finery was just around the corner. We could easily walk to Chinatown also.
As far as the bar and restaurant facilities, I think the hotel was lacking in this area. The service in the bar was impeccable, but it was a very strange design with odd furniture. At peak bar times, seating was at a premium.
The restaurant left one cold. We ate there Christmas eve. There were 5 selections and left us hungry when we left. To compound this on Christmas we had lunch there since we were departing that afternoon, and it was the same menu. I am sure the cooks put together this special menu, but a simple hamburger would have been a nice choice also.
There are several unique items that they have decorated the hotel with. We enjoyed our stay but as far as things to do in the hotel on cold wet rainy San Francisco days, or to get away from the crowds, this hotel is very limited. It was such a perfect location.
While we were there the ASU football team was there to play Notre Dame, so our visit has lots of screaming kids in the lobby, not to mention leaving big messes (open food containers, apple cores, potatoe chip bags etc.)that the staff quickly cleaned.
The staff was beyond exellent and so was the location. Go confidently that it is a marvelous hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mavericktravels
Dear mavericktravels,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review! The newly designed registration desk and the cozy lobby with fireplace are unique from the traditional front desk. Our goal is to create a personal experience for our guests and glad you enjoyed it. The Coit Tower view from your room is truly amazing and the convenient location of our hotel is perfect to explore San Francisco. We apologize for the limited activities offered in our hotel and the crowd during the bowl game. It is always great to hear compliments on our staff and I'll be sure to share your review with the team. Your business is much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm regards,
Dubai
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Very good location very pleasant staff, before I arrive I got an email that protest at the front gate, but the staff they did there best to help my to reach the front disc, really every thing was great. The hotel was a bit noisy even my room at the 12th floor.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
california, US
Reviewed January 7, 2013

The Grand Hyatt is our favorite San Francisco hotel, and we've enjoyed it for several years. We love the spirit of the Union Square, and appreciate it even more when the Ice Skating is on. Hotel service, comfort, friendliness, etc. is always perfect.

It was beyond disappointing to learn that the 'Grand Views' bar on the upper floor is no longer serving hotel guests.... The 'Grand Views' truly belongs to the San Francisco 'must see' list. Hate to find this enormous downgrade to otherwise joyful stay.

I consider the recent renovation a success: modern hotel style is very appropriate for San Francisco. I expect some modern, but nonsense bar furniture is replaced by now, or will be replaced soon. We were so sorry for the waiters missing extra-narrow bar tables!

Room Tip: It is worth to pay for the 'view', meaning higher floor, room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank trip_rep_8
San Diego, California
Reviewed January 7, 2013

With construction complete the Grand Hyatt San Francisco is my new place to lay my head when my wife and I go to SFO. There was a sophistication that came with the hotel. The halls were not filled with yelling children, nor were the elevators lined with drunken adults. Over the Thanksgiving holiday we assumed there would be families and tourists galore. We made the getaway from our family tables looking for a good time, so naturally we assumed others would do the same. They did come out in droves, but all were well behaved.

The hotel is right next to Union Square. If you have ever been to San Fran, you are well aware of how crowded Union Square can get. Being that it was Black Friday and the Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony the street surrounding the hotel were closed. After the initial day after Thanksgiving shock, the street opened and getting in and out of the hotel was much more tolerable. Market St, the main street is just a few blocks away. From there we were able to get to every part of the city with the clipper card. Chinatown was a short quick walk about 2 blocks away. The Warf is a nice 20 minute walk through North Beach and Chinatown.

The remodel was fantastic. We had a large room on the corner, which allowed for the bathroom to be in a different position. It was at the back of the room, down a short hallway. With bathrooms normally off the entrance to the room it was nice to have it isolated. It kept the light out of my eyes while my wife got ready in the morning. The beds were comfortable, the TV was large, and the aesthetics were pleasing. My favorite was the automatic curtains. I was like a child playing with a new toy every time I opened and closed the curtains from the warmth of my bed.

We happened to get a special for $150 a night including breakfast and WIFI. The WIFI signal was sufficient. I wasn’t streaming movies so it didn’t matter the speed anyhow. The breakfast was ok. It was trying a little too hard. I am a basics type of guy. The sour cream and shallot scrambled eggs were a little much. This is San Fran! If you are going to put stuff out for the guests to eat you better keep on par with the other 150 restaurants serving amazing breakfast. We tried it one day and didn’t go beck the next 2. We were happier going and paying for something we truly enjoyed.

Besides the food, the hotel was great. A convenient location, great design and formidable service make the higher price worth it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple