“Excellent renovation of rooms”

Grand Hyatt San Francisco
Ranked #38 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 27, 2011

The rooms have been sleekly redone, lots of counterspace and our room was quite large with good lighting. We had a high floor and a view over the city to the bay which was very nice, better than I have had at other SF hotels. The closet was awkward and a little small with little drawer room unfortunately and the bathroom was on the smallish size.
Excellent location, only a block from Union Square. The lobby however has few places to sit and is cold and somewhat confusing. Personnel were friendly for the most part but we did not use many of the services.
San Francisco is an expensive hotel city and this space is no different. I would however stay again, at least in a view room

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (4,918)

Reviewed November 25, 2011

A very nice weekend stay at the Grand Hyatt San Francisco. The hotel is in a great location, next to all the major shopping in Union Square, most of the live theaters, easy walk to Chinatown, North Beach, Ferry Building and Fisherman's Wharf.

The rooms have been completely remodeled since my last stay two years ago. Very nice rooms, the higher floors have great views of the city.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed November 25, 2011

Still here writing the review from out crappy room with no view. We are on our honeymoon and the previous three hotels we stayed in made us feel welcome and gave us great room one even gave us a bottle of wine. Check in was average guy was not friendly at all. The last thing you want after a flight from Chicago. This is our last stop before returning to Australia. We were hoping it would e the Best hotel yet. I think if the guy had have cared when we were checking in things may have been better. Our room is small with no view. Staff are friendly but don't go out of their way like the previous hotels. Location is great. The restaurant is ok for breakfast but I would not recommend dinner there. Overall a disappointing last stop.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed November 25, 2011

This is a good but pricey option for tourists not business travelers - i think i did not call to housekeeping as often anywhere I stayed as in this hotel. You need to ask for everything - water, shoe horn (!), vanity set ... I just cant name everything that was not in the room!

The seemed refurbished the hotel but not everything - for example the doors remain very old, may be as a consequence you can hear how your next door guest is taking a shower...

The breakfast - you don't really want it in the hotel - try to find it outside, even Starbucks will be better and be open earlier then a restaurant in the hotel.
Try to avoid if you can...

Room Tip: A gym gets crowded, so if you want to run - wake up early ... 6am and before!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 23, 2011

The location of the Grand Hyatt is pretty much perfect - less than 100yds from Union Square, 5 minutes walk from Chinatown, perhaps 15 minutes walk or so to North Beach, and within 2 blocks of the cable car terminus.

The hotel is very large, but the service is excellent. I would say that this is obviously a business hotel, but is also great for the leisure traveller if you can secure a decent rate (as we did).

Rooms are quite small, especially the bathrooms, but are recently and stylishly refurbished and very comfortable indeed. Every amenity is provided and of good quality. Huge windows (with electric blinds - cool!) offer great views, so be sure to try to get a room on a high floor, preferably with bay or Union Sq view.

The restaurant and bar on the top floor afford magnificent views of the bay, and have a great atmosphere.

There is valet parking or assisted self service at nearly garages, but expect to pay a minimum of $34/night for the latter (and over $50 I think for valet). If you don't need a car whilst in SF, it may be better to collect from a downtown location on your departure from the city.

My only suggestions for improvement would be:
WiFi - come on, even basic roadside inns now offer this free and this was the only hotel in my week long trip that charged.

I enjoyed my stay at the Grand Hyatt and would highly recommend.

Room Tip: High floor, Bay view
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2011

Dear Hamish11:

Thank you for going out of your way to share feedback on your recent stay with us at our Grand Hyatt San Francisco. We're delighted to hear you found your "perfect location" while you visit Union Square. Hyatt is thrilled you had excellent service while staying with us. Hyatt takes pride in employing associates whom make our guests feel welcomed. Your referral is our biggest compliment. We hope to welcome you back again.

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed November 23, 2011

This was a beautiful, classic hotel.

The rooms have some amazing views of the city, but also feature electric shades that will completely block out all the light for when you're ready to sleep.
Pretty good sized rooms for the price. Very high quality and clean!
Great customer service. Will print your plane tickets home for free.
In a great location -- far enough away from the Fisherman's Wharf that it doesn't feel too, too touristy, without being too far to walk to attractions.

Only two complaints:
- The business center that they advertise is NOT free. You must pay to use their two, extremely slow, computers. Had I known I would've brought my own laptop for when I needed to look up attractions.
- They have this auto HVAC unit... I'm not sure if ours was broken but it must have been motion sensored because when we would go to sleep it would completely shut off and then every time one of us would move or get up to use the bathroom it would kick on and then shut off 5 minutes later. Extremely disruptive.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 21, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for our 10 yr anniversay. Neither of us had ever been to SF so it was nervous to book not really knowing the city. After reading other reviews that talked about location, I booked and so glad I did. We looked at other cheaper hotels but so very happy we decided to book at the Grand Hyatt. This was our 10 yr anniversay and Glietz at the Front Desk made us feel welcome from the get go. They upgraded our room to a higher floor with a awesome city view. They also offered us a bottle of wine and choice of a food item. Nice touch and very much appreciated. There are plenty of staff in the lobby area ready to assist with any needs. The Concierge was very friendly and helpful. It rained most of the weekend and they even offered us the use of an umbrella the entire weekend. This might be the norm for a 4 or 5 star hotel but i had never experienced this before and it was very much appreciated. It kept us dry while we walked around the entire city! Right next to plenty of shopping, Chinatown or a Cable car or Street Car. I did read some reviews about street noise but i guess that would be common in a "City" type of atmosphere with tall buildings echoing sounds. I don't have any complaints about the hotel. The rooms were very nice and the beds were extremely comfortable. I didn't realize there was a small fridge or coffee maker in the room until the day we checked out but oh well. Starbucks is directly accross the street.

North Beach (Italian neighborhood is with in walking distance) We ate breakfast at Lori's a block away from the hotel and it was very good. I recommend Tony's Pizza in North Beach. Very good pizza!

We stayed 2 days and could not get it all in. If you stay on pleasure, it is worth the Open Air Bus tour of the city. It hits all the major sites and you can get on and off at your leisure. And the price is reasonable.

Thank you to all the great staff that made our stay such a nice and memorable one! Perfect Location too!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2011

I am honored that you chose to spend your anniversary at our property. I am delighted that Glietz made you feel welcome. I will be sure to pass along your comments letting him know that you found the service to be fantastic. I am pleased you found the location and room to be very convenient and nice. Having a great atmosphere as well as a great staff can really make all the difference in a stay. We appreciate all of you wonderful comments. Your recommendation is our biggest compliment!

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate