“Pros and cons”

Galleria Park Hotel
Ranked #34 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for two nights on a road trip and enjoyed our stay. As ever Tripadvisor was invaluable in helping us to choose hotel and request room.

Pros - amazing location, very helpful staff, nightly wine hour, lovely comfy bed and clean, well presented room. Ours was smaller than other US rooms ( as expected in San Fran), but had free wifi and was cool and quiet ( requested internal room based on other feedback).

Con - expensive valet parking (again perhaps as expected in SF).

Would we stay again? Yes. Definitely.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
GalleriaHotelGM, General Manager at Galleria Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Dear Fi-W-Scotland,

Thank you for taking the time to share the pros and cons of staying in our hotel, based on your recent experience.

We are very lucky to have one of the best locations in San Francisco, just a few steps away from Union Square, Chinatown and other major sights. More importantly, I am very pleased to hear that you liked our staff as it's what I personally value the most. It's also wonderful to hear that you enjoyed our amenities, including our nightly wine hour, our beds, the overall presentation of the room and our recently upgraded WiFi.

I am sorry to hear that you found our valet parking charge expensive. I agree that due to limited parking spaces in the City, hotels and parking garages charge a premium rate. We recently shopped the cost of overnight, valet parking in other hotels in the City and our rate is actually less expensive than the average.

Thank you for taking the time to share your views about our hotel. I am looking forward to welcoming you back to San Francisco someday.

jlim@jdvhotels.com

Write a ReviewReviews (2,270)

Reviewed October 3, 2013

I was a guest at the Galleria hotel last week while in San Francisco for business. On the night before my departure I lost my wallet while at dinner. I had to leave the hotel at 5am for the airport to catch my flight. I did not have any cash or credit cards with me to get to the airport. Jesse Huggins was at the front desk that morning and was able to assist me. He tried to get a car to take me with the credit card on file. When that didn’t work he gave me his metro card out of his pocket and an additional $10 of his own money so I could get to the airport to catch my flight. I really can’t thank him enough for all the help he provided and found it incredible that he went so far out of his way to help me out of the jam I was in. This kind of customer service is almost non-existant these days.

(They also have a free wine hour in the evening with some really nice local wines and the location is perfect)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I had an amazing stay at the Galleria Park Hotel. The showers were amazing and I did not want to stop showering. I was excited for the next shower as well. I highly recommend this hotel for those of the fancy genre.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Location: Ideally situated - close to U-Sqr,C-Town,Embarcodero - 2 blocks from bart/muni train - buses on Kearny & Sutter. Attached to Galleria shops via court yard on 3rd floor.

Room: Inside Corner(no view but less noise), Queen bed, work table/chair, extra armchair, mini ref/bar in a cabinet, one side has the 3 extra drawers for clothes, safe(fits 15.5" laptop), Air Conditioner. Room is small and bathroom is smaller still - feels like in a cruise ship or an RV - but nicely renovated/appointed;only mirror is in the bathroom. Has Kruerig coffe maker BUT bottled water is for a fee(did not see note and expensive- ~$38 bill);hard to see water level due to machine's location.

Reservation: Asked in advanced(email) and gotten early check-in/higher floor around 1pm.. No courtesy chocolate/wine provided for 'special' occasion(noted in the email) unlike other previous stay at other Union Square hotel.

Staff: All very friendly but not all efficient; had problem with billing that incrementally(daily) withhold funds(~$1200 total) to the card/account for incidentals. Issue was handled/corrected efficiently once I notified front desk but got no apologies from upper management. Also over heard previous guest complaining on the phone of double billing while in the lobby. Never got a gift card for having room not turned for a night. But kudos to front desk personnel Canisha(lost item) & Bina(billing), both were very helpful.

Miscellaneous: Free coffee on 2nd floor; nightly free wine hour by the lobby(self-service) - only tried once. Free wi-fi but was 'open' to everyone for several days without front desk knowing.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank pinoy99

Dear Pinoy99,

Thank you for sharing your reviews about our hotel.

I am sorry to hear that you found out staff friendly, but inefficient due to us holding a large amount for incidentals. On long stays, such as you had, our standard is to exceed $500 in credit card hold. Unfortunately, we failed to make this exception with you and affected your stay. My apologies for the inconvenience.

It is disappointing to also find out that we did not acknowledge the special occasion that you were celebrating during our stay. Again, I sincerely apologize.

I hope that you decide to try our hotel again if your travels take you back to San Francisco.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

This beautifully decorated hotel was a true gem in the heart of San Francisco. Hotel is in a great location - very short walk from the various excellent transport systems they have in place in San Fran, and 5 mins from union square which is the main shopping area of the city.

Rooms on the small side yes, but beautifully furnished and with excellent attention to detail. Nice large flatscreen tv with good choice of channels. Great coffee shop next door. Large comfortable bed and good AC/heating system. Modern, clean and stylish bathroom with a corner shower, with a lovely choice of quality shower gels, shampoo, moisurisers etc. not just the usual cheap hotel bar of soap stuff! Also a very handy multi socket device fitted on the writing desk which you could plug lots of things into at once, something which I find a bit of a pain in every other hotel I've ever stayed in - having to find empty sockets or unplugging a couple of lamps to plug in your charger/hair dryer!

The only tiny problem was the lack of a full length mirror in the room, the only mirror was in the bathroom which had a very bright light and only half height.

Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I stayed at the Galleria Park Hotel with my wife for a weekend in San Francisco - overall it was a very enjoyable stay - all the positive reviews are right on the money. It is an upscale hotel located in the heart of San Francisco; easy walking to pretty much anywhere, and simple to hop on a bus or grab a taxi anywhere else. The price was quite competitive, and that's saying something for a San Francisco hotel! Here's a quick list of some high and lowlights:

Pros:
- Fantastic location - right between the Union Square area and the Financial district, there's an easy route almost anywhere; Market Street, Fisherman's Wharf, North Beach, and more are all easily walkable.
- Fresh, modern decor throughout - from the lobby to the hallways to the rooms and bathrooms, you could tell someone thought every detail out, and nothing looked dated, but wasn't sterile or cold, either.
- Service was top notch - if I needed something from the front desk, they were on it in a heartbeat. Doormen held every door for my wife and I, and quickly flagged down a cab whenever I needed one. Maid service was prompt, quick and clean - kudos to all!
- The cable TV service at the hotel has a free app that lets you completely control the TV from your phone; it worked very well, no need to mess with the remote or have another gadget to misplace (I need this at home!).
- Bathroom was sweet - a really big shallow sink that minimized splashes, large glass and stone shower with plenty of room, and high-end complimentary toiletries - nice touches throughout.
- Despite how many rooms there were, as well as how small they were - there was no noise from any other rooms nearby. Great sound insulation!

Cons:
- Breakfast is actually a little tough to do - they don't have a restaurant or room for breakfast here, so you need to walk around nearby to find something to eat. Hours on many of the local places aren't great, opening at 8 AM or later, which can be problematic if you have places to be early in the morning.
- Rooms are small - actually, compared to most other SF hotels, the rooms are probably average sized, but they're still small rooms.

There's really not much bad to say about the Galleria Park hotel - I would definitely book another trip here and would recommend others do the same. It cannot be beat from so many angles, what a fantastic treat in my favorite city!

Thanks for reading - feel free to contact me with any questions!

Jon

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JB24003
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Firstly, thanks for having us. Everything you need in the room; clean and tidy but a little short on space. Good location for shopping and attractions - a 15min walk to the water. Great staff, sorry I cant remember you all

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
GalleriaHotelGM, General Manager at Galleria Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Dear MarcCorboy,

Thank you for your positive review on Tripadvisor. I'm glad that you enjoyed our location, our guestrooms, and its cleanliness.

We appreciate you choosing our hotel. We hope to see you again soon.

415-835-6473