“The hotel was fine and so was the wine”

Galleria Park Hotel
Ranked #25 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 25, 2013

If you're driving to Galleria Park make sure you have it mapped out, we went around the block two or three times before we found it -- and in San Francisco traffic during the day that can be traumatic. When we did finally spy it we couldn't find a legal place to park to register. I doubled parked for about ten minutes before the doorman finally helped us sort it out. Fortunately that was the worst thing about our stay.

The hotel is not luxurious, but is boutique modern and clean, and the rooms are a bit on the smallish side, but we expected that in a SF hotel. The bathroom was modern and the shower worked fine. The bed was fine and the linen smooth. We had asked for a quiet room and that always means you'll have a view of an ally or in our case a view of other rooms. But again we we'ren't staying at the hotel as a resort vacation.

It perfectly suited our needs and was in the heart of SF where we could walk to most places we wanted to visit or jump on a street car just a couple of blocks down the street. The clerks and captains were all friendly and helpful.

We did really enjoy the wine hour where they actually served very nice wines. Most of the guests had several servings and were happy campers by the time wine time was over.

You do have to pay for parking which is all valet, so it can be a pain if you have to come and go frequently. But for the most part we didn't have any issues with it, and one time when we just had to grab a few things from the room, the valet watched our car for the the fifteen or so minutes we needed.

All in all a nice moderately priced hotel with friendly personnel comfortable rooms, conveniently located with a great happy hour. We'll be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from the elevators.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank William J
GalleriaHotelGM, General Manager at Galleria Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Dear Ron J,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding the hotel. I'm sorry to hear that you had difficulty finding the hotel. With all the one way streets in downtown San Francisco, it could be challenging driving around and finding your destination.

I'm very pleased to read that you liked our hosted, nightly wine hour and our modern design. I believe you stayed in one of the rooms that we recently renovated. Included in our multi-million dollar renovation is our brand new guest bathrooms, soft goods renovation, WiFi upgrade, new Fitness Center, and many more.

We hope to see you again soon.

James Lim
jlim@jdvhotels.com
415-835-6473

There are newer reviews for Galleria Park Hotel

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Just had a FANTASTIC time at the Galleria Park.

But first a little back story. I had read the book "The Cable Car and the Dragon" by Herb Caen to my boys a few months ago, and we talked about Chinatown and the parade held every year. I asked if they would like to go. My youngest answered with an enthusiastic "YES!", because really, who doesn't love dancing lions and firecrackers? But my oldest has some sensory issues, and can get overwhelmed in crowds, especially if it is noisy or chaotic. He didn't think he could handle it. I get it, I get irritable going to Costco during Christmas season. So I made arrangements to take my 7 year old, and Daddy was going to do something special with my 9 year old. Then, in a flash of Momma brilliance, I had the idea of getting a hotel on the parade route, so we could view the parade from above. I'm a genius! Checking out the hotels along the route, I spied the Galleria Park. My husband has stayed there on business a couple of times and gave me the thumbs up. All clear on Bedbugregistry.com too. Since my boys had all of Thanksgiving week off school, and my husband was working, the boys and I came for an overnight in November to assess its parade-viewing capabilities.

In November, my boys and I checked in. Charlie asked if I prefer red or white for a complimentary 1/2 bottle since I'm a Joy of Life member (that's just how I roll). He then asked if there was anything else we needed to enhance our stay. Yes, I'd like a dancing monkey sent to our room. Really, who doesn't love a monkey? Sadly, despite Charlie's assurances he would get right on it, no monkey ever arrived. But I digress. Because of the parade route, the corner room was going to provide the best view. Liesel was kind enough to show one to us. Curses! The corner rooms are Park Suites, $629 a night with a AAA discount. It's true I married up, but this would not be affordable for our family. I made sad eyes at Liesel. Could they possibly help a young devastatingly handsome boy enjoy the parade?

I got an email the next day. She had spoken to management, made sad eyes, and they could give us a discount, that, although generous, would still be unaffordable for our family. She also said that we could book a regular room, and upgrade to the suite upon check in for an upgrade fee based upon availability. Yay! I booked our room and checked nervously to make sure the Park Suites were still available.

We checked in on Friday. Charlie was on duty. "Did you get the monkey?" He remembered me. I asked if a Park Suite was available. The ones on the lower floors got snapped up for an "event", but he was able to get us one on the sixth floor for a reasonable upgrade fee that WAS affordable for our family (did I mention I married up?). SCORE! We checked in, and went up to our Fancy Pants suite like the high rollers we aspire to be. The folks in the lobby stared and whispered as they tried to figure out what celebrity and his hot model girlfriend we were. OK, maybe I made that last part up, but it was still pretty cool.

My husband took the boys out to Chinatown to wander around Friday afternoon. I went downstairs and approached Charlie and Camisha at the front desk. "I don't know if you know this, but both of my boys have ADHD (wonder where that could've come from!), and my oldest also has some sensory issues and gets anxiety in crowds, especially when it's loud and chaotic. I didn't think the Chinese New Year parade was an experience he would be able to have. I realize I'm a complete smart @ss, but in all seriousness, thank you for the upgrade to the Park Suite, it really means a lot to our family." I wanted them to know they weren't just accomodating some crazy pushy monkey-loving lady, but a crazy pushy monkey-loving Momma who wants her boys to have some great childhood memories. Yeah, that's right, I said it, you guys are making memories!

We went to dinner, and upon our return found two red paper lanterns and a gift for our boys in our room (ahem, I mean suite). Awww, these people are just so freakin' nice! On Saturday, we gazed from above as the barricades went up and the mass of people started marking their territories. By 5:00, the people were 10 deep. The parade started, and my boys got to view it out our windows. "Momma, this is the best parade ever!" Near the end of the parade, the crowd thinned considerably, and we went downstairs. My husband and oldest were easily able to get a space at the barricade, and my youngest grabbed my hand and dragged me running down the streets chasing firecrackers. It was a good night for Momma.

So anyway, the Galleria Park rocks. Mr. Lim, you should be very proud of your staff. Liesel, Charlie, and Camisha, and really everyone we encountered were great. I suggest you double all of their salaries. Just sayin'. At the very least, would you get Charlie a monkey already?

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Beautiful old hotel that has been updated. Rooms have nice furniture with a comfortable bed, HD TV and a nice BIG marble bathroom. Plenty of counter space to put all your things. There is even a courtyard patio to sit and relax or use as a jogging area...

The location is prime as it is walking distance to China town, financial district, Union Square and lots of shopping.

Service is helpful, friendly and courteous.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I have stayed here twice, and will continue to do so when I visit San Francisco. The Galleria Park is very conveniently located with the respect to the BART, making it easy to get there from the airport. There are also many excellent restaurants in the immediate area. The neighbourhood is slightly quieter than Union Square itself, which I found appealing.

The rooms lovely (if a little small) and clean (which is very important to me). I recommend requesting a room facing the courtyard, as these rooms are quieter than those facing the street.

They serve complimentary coffee in the morning, and also have complimentary wine from 5:30 to 6:30 pm (need I say more?). The staff is very helpful with directions and restaurant recommendations. I travelled with a baby, and they provided a crib in my room. On my first trip baby was quite congested, and they managed to track down a humidifier for me, which was very much appreciated!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I recently stayed here and had a lovely time! The room was clean, fresh and comfortable. The location was perfect - within walking distance to Union Square and China Town. We took full advantage and had a leisurely stroll around the square before and after having dinner there (and after having a glass of wine in the lobby during wine hour, of course!) But what truly impressed me was the staff and their attentiveness! Upon our arrival, I told the desk staff that the trip was for my birthday and we'd be leaving early in the morning for a whale watching trip. They gave me a cupcake (made by the talented Camisha) and wished me a happy belated birthday - but that was not all! When I arrived back from my trip there was a call from Camisha asking if I was still in town, and if so, she had a gift waiting for me. When I returned to pick it up I found a pretty gift bag with another cupcake, a sweet card, a plush humpback whale and magnetic frame to commemorate my trip! So very thoughtful and special! Camisha really made my trip extra wonderful and went above and beyond the call of duty! :)

Room Tip: Our room was on the 8th floor and on the outside, so there was some street noise which awakened me a...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Kevin S, Director of Operations at Galleria Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Dear TLC2013,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share you most recent GPH experience on TripAdvisor! We are thrilled that you enjoyed the gift bag and Camisha's cupcakes. She had so much fun baking and getting creative with your sweet surprise.
Happy belated Birthday and we cannot wait to welcome you both back to Galleria Park!
Best regards,
Kevin Scott
kscott@jdvhotels.com

Reviewed February 20, 2013

I've stayed in Joie de Vivre hotels more than a dozen times, and I'm alway please and highly satisfied. This stay was triggered by an email promotion for a Valentine's Day package that included parking and dinner at a marvelous French cafe. Beside the exception "deal" for the package, upon check-in, we were told, "We're pleased to let you know that we have upgraded you to our Grande Suite, the largest room in our hotel!"

Staff was great. Room was pleasant. Wine tasting (free) was enjoyable and bustling.

I'll most certainly be returning.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
GalleriaHotelGM, General Manager at Galleria Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Dear MMCimilla,

Thank you for sharing your positive experience at the Galleria Park on Tripadvisor. I am very pleased to hear that you have made our hotel your true "home away from home."

I'm glad you enjoyed the courtesy upgrade to our Grand Suite as a small token of appreciation for being one of our loyal guest and for selecting our hotel to celebrate Valentine's.

We hope to see you again soon!

James Lim
jlim@jdvhotels.com
415-835-6473

Reviewed February 12, 2013

This was my first stay at the Galleria Park Hotel and the experience was wonderful. The staff day and night made sure that my stay was comfortable and pleasant. They even recommended places to go and sent up items to our room that would make the stay more comfortable. The decor and amenities are awesome. Rooms are on the smaller side, but comfortable. I highly recommend.

Room Tip: Rooms away from Geary street are more quiet
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Kevin S, Director of Operations at Galleria Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

Dear Marilee M,

Thank you so much for the amazing 5 star review! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your first experience at Galleria Park and that our staff made you comfortable. That is so important when traveling to a new destination or hotel.

We cannot wait to welcome you back! If I can be of any assistance prior to your next visit please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,