“Artsy Spot in a Great Location”

Galleria Park Hotel
Ranked #29 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Santa Ana, California
“Artsy Spot in a Great Location”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I had business in the Financial District and thought I'd try this hotel based on its location. It was nice. The rooms are very nicely decorated, with slightly eclectic furnishings and original artwork on the walls. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. They have a nice lobby and afternoon wine hour. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
Folsom
Reviewed November 2, 2012

We had a room on a high floor facing Kearny st. Street noise was not a problem. Our room was tiny but the high ceilings made it feel less claustrophobic. The room was clean and decorated in a dramatic modern style. Bathroom was very tiny and unfortunately did not have space to store any toiletries. We enjoyed the complimentary wine hour by the fireplace. We were made to feel very welcome by the staff. Great location, close to China Town, easy walk able distance to Union Square.
Would stay again if the price was right!

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I stayed for a week in October 2012 for work. I usually stay at the Vitale but prices were crazy this particular week so I found the Galleria Park, which is I believe to be a nicer hotel hotel under the same company. Like someone said, it is a nice hotel with some historic charm. The room I stayed in was very small, but did not lack in any of the basic necessities and it was clean. The bathroom is where you can notice the place is a bit old but it was not dirty or anything. Free coffee/tea in the am and free wine from 530 to 630 which is pretty cool. The location is great, lots of great places to eat and drink within walking distance. The staff is very friendly too. There is a nice little walking courtyard that has some charm. It is for walking, it would probably take 20 laps to do a mile so don't plan on using it for jogging. The fitness room has a couple machines and some weights, the bare minimum. I have a 24 Fitness pass which is on the same block so I didn't need the gym at the hotel, but keep it in mind, very small. The free wi-if was pretty slow.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
GalleriaHotelGM, General Manager at Galleria Park Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thank you for your constructive feedback of our hotel. We appreciate your comments and thorough review. I am very sorry to hear that you had challenges with our WiFi and that it did not meet your expectations. We are constantly looking for ways to improve upon our guests' experience and welcome any suggestions. Coincidentally, we are upgrading our WiFi system in December and we will be providing higher and more reliable bandwidth for our guests. We provide complimentary coffee pods for our Keurig coffee makers. I'm sorry to hear that you did not receive the extra pods upon request..

Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.
Albuquerque
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I stayed here for a business trip and while the location is terrific, the service and amenities were a disappointment. This is an older hotel that has been decorated in a sort of "shabby chic" style that I found quite appealing. My room was rather small and the bathroom was tiny (no space to store your toiletries), but since it was obviously a sort of historic hotel, this wasn't a big problem. The bed was super comfortable and the linens and towels were nice and soft.

My problem with the hotel is the lack of reliable Internet service. I'm self-employed and have to stay connected when out of town. The free Internet is so slow that you can barely check your email. Be prepared to pay extra for a higher-speed option or use your own wireless card if you wish to stay connected.

My second concern was the in-room coffee service. My room was equipped with a Keurig single cup brewer, but I like to have several cups of coffee each morning before leaving my room. I asked for extra coffee at the front desk and they appeared reluctant to provide it by first asking, "did you drink it all already?" When I explained why I wanted more, the desk clerk said she'd have to ask someone else to bring it. She offered to have it delivered to the room, but I had brought my mom on the trip and didn't want to wake her up. I waited quite a while for the coffee, but it never arrived. I went ahead and bought Keurig packs at a nearby Starbucks and used those for the remainder of my stay.

I would recommend this hotel for a "girls' weekend" of shopping and eating out. It was perfectly situated near lots of wonderful stores and restaurants. It's not fancy, but it's clean and felt safe and secure. I would not recommend it for business travelers or people who are looking for somewhere glamorous or romantic to celebrate a special occasion.

Interestingly, this is not an inexpensive place to stay. I stayed at the Westin in June and it was quite a bit less than the Galleria Park.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
GalleriaHotelGM, General Manager at Galleria Park Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2012

Boston
Reviewed October 31, 2012

The Galleria Park has a great location and the service was terrific. I was in town for a combination of business and personal reasons so the location was great for me near the Financial District and other downtown things to do.

The hotel was very helpful with directions and transporation to the de Young and Legion of Honor Museums. In general I found the staff to be helpful and courteous.

I was even able to walk to the trendy SOMA area for dinner with friends.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Thank you so much for your 5-Star review! It was wonderful to hear that you found our that our location was very convenient for and that our staff was helpful and were able to assist you with your needs. Your business is much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed October 29, 2012

My wife and I and son stayed in mid-October and thought this was an excellent value for the money in piricey San Fran. It's three short blocks from Union Square and easy to access Powell or Market streets, cable and street car lines, Embarcadero, Chinatown, etc. Staff was truly friendly, there was no long line at check in and i appreciated the front desk phoning after we were settled in to ask if all was OK in the room. They have a nice wine hour every night in the lobby, which was a convenient time prior to going out and after a day of shopping or touring. Internet access was included in the room - another bonus you don't often get at the larger chains, I would highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for an interior room if possible - they are quieter than if facing Sutter Street.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I stayed at the Galleria Park for a week on early October 2012. The hotel is nice and has some historic charm, but lacks some modern elements that would go a long way toward making it nicer. I do think that they are making some improvements over the next year or so that will help, but in the mean time it is still not a bad place to stay.

I was given a handicap-accessible room which was average size, with a very large but sparse bathroom. I faced the courtyard which was quiet but had a uninspiring view. The temperature outside was nice enough that I just opened my windows and did not use the AC or heat, so I can't comment on the wall unit.

Pros:
- convenient location, near a lot of downtown attractions and public transportation
- my room was moderately sized, probably on the larger side for a "historic" hotel but small if you are used to US chains
- manager's cocktail hour was a nice touch, but the lobby could get crowded
- room was clean and housekeeping did a good job
- room had a decent TV and a good channel selection (although I couldn't find a channel list anywhere)
- in-room honor bar was well-stocked with a good variety of food and drinks
- there is an in-hotel running track and gym

Cons:
- free wi-fi had a decent signal but was extremely slow (seriously, like 20kbps -- barely enough to check email). They had "faster" wi-fi available for purchase, but I find it disingenuous to advertise free wi-fi included if it is essentially unusable for even basic things like browsing the modern web
- bathroom was very sparse -- no cupboard or countertop and only a very small shelf over the toilet to put your toiletries
- you can tell you are in an old building, to the point where it feels just a tiny bit run-down.

Misc:
- hotel staff was pleasant and did their best to answer questions, but there was not a dedicated concierge so if you need help planning something complicated you might find it difficult.
- "business center" computers were nice iMacs, but were pay per use unless you were doing a pre-approved task like printing a boarding pass

Overall it was a decent hotel for the price. I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it to others, but I also wouldn't tell people to stay away.

2 Thank GR_travels
Kevin S, Director of Operations at Galleria Park Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Dear GR_Travels,
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay. We were thrilled to read that you had found so many pros about our hotel, our location and the service provided.
In regards of the cons, we are going to be starting an extensive bathroom renovation in a couple of weeks that will address all of the concerns you mentioned. Furthermore, we are planning an upgrade of our internet system in the first part of 2013.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back once we have completed these enhancements.
Again, thank you so much your feedback!
Best regards,